Weight keeps creeping up

Options
For the past two/three weeks my weight has been creeping up and I can not explain why.
Truth is, I did not need to lose any more weight and am in the process of switching to maintenance this week. But this was also sparked by the weight gain because I was like 'well, I guess I can't lose anymore anyway'

I haven't got an open diary because I use excel for my entries, but I weigh everything I eat and drink. The past few months it allowed me to lose a few kilos, so it worked until a few days ago.

But since three weeks, my weight has been going up. I work with averages too, so it can't be attributed to daily fluctuations. This week has been particularly bad, where I have been gaining 100-200 gram a day since sunday. It's very concerning.

The only thing I changed this week is that I eat 50kcal more than normally as I am switching to maintenance mode. Other than that, I'm doing everything exactly the same as the past few months.

I'm male, so hormone fluctuations won't affect me as much. My exercise hasn't changed. I'm not ill. I know what I'm eating and religiously weigh and log it. Technically I should still be at a 200-300 deficit as I'm still in the slowly upping my calories phase...

I know there are a lot of these posts, but I am truly puzzled by my weight gain.What could be wrong?

Replies

• fitnessman77777
    Options
    I don't believe your truly at a deficit or the results would be evident. Your body is the best judge. Your metabolism is slowed and may need more time to begin increasing calorie intake. Slow n steady
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Water weight/excessive salt intake?
    Maybe you're under more stress than normal (stress hormones)?
    Maybe you forgot to log something?
    Or maybe you've miscalculated your "maintenance" calories and are eating more than you need to?

If you're sure you're doing everything right and this continues for more than a few weeks, it might be a good idea to see a doctor. I wouldn't worry about it just yet but if it continues it might be something to look into.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I say its water weight???

How much water are you drinking a day?

Weigh once a week only - same day, same time
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    When I started transitioning to maintenance, my weight bumped up a little and then went back down. Give it a few weeks as long as you're sticking to a reasonable maintenance calorie range and keeping your exercise constant. A small gain can be expected when switching to maintenance as your body is able to hold more water since you aren't stressing it by eating at a deficit (this is a good thing).
  • MrXeno
    MrXeno Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys.
    I'm still at a loss at what could be wrong. I doubt it is sodium, as my food isn't very high in salt. I am drinking a lot of water, as much as I always have which never caused an issue in the past months.
    I'm also not eating at maintenance yet. I'm in the upping my calories slowly stage. I'm only 153cm, so very short. I'm eating 1450 calories a day and don't eat back exercise calories. I run 10 to 15km 3-4 times a week, and do moderate/light weight training for 30-40 mins 3 times a week. Eating 1400 calories a day made me lose weight. Now that I'm upping it slowly, I seem to be gaining like crazy. To make it even more crazy, I started gaining before I even upped my calories this week. *scratched head*

Apart from being a mystery, it's also very frustrating. I finally reached my goal, but it all seems to be coming back while i'm still eating at a deficit.