Eat back half of excercise calories?

Options
I see a lot of people say that they do this. Is this different than using the Net Calories that MFP calculates? I eat about 1550 and workout about 350 to get to my 1200 goal. It is working for me, but I am curious if some are doing it differently.

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I went to a site to find out what my calorie intake should be (and based off of being sedentary) I should consume 1,698 to lose a pound a week. I exercise on top of that, but only on major workout days will I eat back any of my exercise calories and only if I am hungry. It's working well for me as I'm losing 2-3 pounds per week and don't feel like I'm starving.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Most people only eat back half their calories because of overestimations on burns, whether the number comes from MFP/a cardio machine/a HRM.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most people only eat back half their calories because of overestimations on burns.
    ^This.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Many have through word of mouth believed the database method is badly overestimating calories. They have nothing to base it on when pressed for why, just some idea it is.
    Others wear a HRM and because it's lower they think it's correct. So apparently different is more correct, especially if lower. Who can know the ways of logic.

Rarely have any of them actually done any research.

The idea of eating back all your exercise calories is that your daily burn is made up of normal daily burn, and when you do it, exercise also.

But MFP takes a deficit off the normal stuff, no exercise expected or included, to reach your eating goal.

So to keep that same deficit amount daily, when you happen to exercise, you eat those calories back.

Some entries in the database you have no idea if you are doing it the same intensity as it may have had the studies done on.
    But some are more accurate than HRM - like walking and running.
    The trick is - being accurate.
    Did you really walk 4.5 mph level for 60 min? Or did you work your way up to that speed eventually, but starting at 3 mph for half the time? And did you actually only reach 50 min?

Was the Zumba class really 45 min of exercise - or did it include 5 min slow warmup, and 10 min stretching at the end?
    Was Spin class 50 min, or 40 min with 10 of stretching at end?
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I usually only use my exercise calories as a backup, insurance, if you will. That way if I go over, I am still safe. Also if I am going to a dinner or party, I plan ahead by walking a lot and burning. That way I can indulge a little bit more.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I log my extra exercise in to MFP, I underestimate the amount that I did. (If it was 30 minutes of biking I log 15 or 20 minutes.) Then I feel like I can eat back all the exercise calories that MFP gives me.
  • 67Vert
    67Vert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back any exercise calories. I've figured my workouts into my daily activity level. I work at a desk all day during the week, then work out after. And I'm fairly active on the weekends.

So I check "slightly active" for my daily activity level and don't add exercise to my log. It's just part of my regular daily activity.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back any exercise calories. I've figured my workouts into my daily activity level. I work at a desk all day during the week, then work out after. And I'm fairly active on the weekends.

So I check "slightly active" for my daily activity level and don't add exercise to my log. It's just part of my regular daily activity.

Just so others reading this are aware.

Those activity levels on MFP aren't rated for exercise being included - they don't ramp up as fast as your normal TDEE with exercise included charts would.

That being said, if your workouts aren't intense and pretty easy and calm, you likely can cover them adequately with a higher level intended to just cover higher work day levels.

Of course, Lightly Active (not slightly) is what many discover they are even with what they thought was a sedentary desk job and they get a Fitbit or such and discover much more active on non-exercise days.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    In your case the idea is to consume the calories you're allotted on MFP, then if you wish, eat back 1/2 of those calories burned thru exercise. MFP and other electronic devices have a history of estimating too many calories burned that's why it's never a food idea to eat them all back, as you could end up overeating your workouts.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i eat back exercise calories if i get hungry, and always eat extra protein when i do. i generally eat back half on intense workout days because my appetite kicks in.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I found that I have done better when I don't eat back my exercise calories. I give myself a range of calories I can eat (1800-2000) and if I exercise I can eat more (but still within my range). If I don't exercise I try to only eat 1800. I am using TDEE method, which means I don't add calories for working out since it is already figured into my TDEE.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    i have a calorie goal......and don't log what i burn...........
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Many have through word of mouth believed the database method is badly overestimating calories. They have nothing to base it on when pressed for why, just some idea it is.
    Others wear a HRM and because it's lower they think it's correct. So apparently different is more correct, especially if lower. Who can know the ways of logic.

Rarely have any of them actually done any research.

The idea of eating back all your exercise calories is that your daily burn is made up of normal daily burn, and when you do it, exercise also.

But MFP takes a deficit off the normal stuff, no exercise expected or included, to reach your eating goal.

So to keep that same deficit amount daily, when you happen to exercise, you eat those calories back.

Some entries in the database you have no idea if you are doing it the same intensity as it may have had the studies done on.
    But some are more accurate than HRM - like walking and running.
    The trick is - being accurate.
    Did you really walk 4.5 mph level for 60 min? Or did you work your way up to that speed eventually, but starting at 3 mph for half the time? And did you actually only reach 50 min?

Was the Zumba class really 45 min of exercise - or did it include 5 min slow warmup, and 10 min stretching at the end?
    Was Spin class 50 min, or 40 min with 10 of stretching at end?

I base it on the fact that if I eat back ALL my exercise calories, I don't lose weight, or I lose very slowly. So it's basically trial and error. I usually estimate I burn about 10 cal/min on the elliptical, but I weigh a lot, and even this is likely an overestimation. MFP gives me 100-200 calories more than this. I'm pretty sure THAT is not correct.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i eat my exercise calories but there are many times I have 300 n some left over ... so i guess i don't always eat them all.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I used MFP method I ate back all my exercise calories for the first month...lost 1/2lb a week...it should have been 1lb a week...but that had nothing to do with exercise calories...it was all this fact...

I wasn't weighing my food...

I started weighing my food and continued to eat back all my exercise calories and lost 1lb a week...

I firmly believe that if you are logging accurately and being realistic with your exercise ie walking 3 mph not 4 you can eat back your exercise calories and should as you are fueling your body and your next workout..
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to ignore "net" or exercise calories.
    1 - most people underestimate what they eat
    2 - most people, and machines, and MFP, overestimate calories burned

Just eat at your calorie goal (10x your healthy goal weight... again, what my doctor told me).
    Once in a while, if you're hungry at the end of the day, have 1/3 to 1/2 of your exercise calories for a snack or larger meal, but don't make a habit of it.

If you're losing weight as expected, keep doing what you're doing.
    If not, change.
  • jokethar
    jokethar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MFP over estimates workout calories! I don' think we really burn that many calories, its misleading:mad:
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i eat back exercise calories if i get hungry, and always eat extra protein when i do. i generally eat back half on intense workout days because my appetite kicks in.

^^^This is what I do. I try and listen to my body. I also add weights in my backpack when hiking and hustle when going up a trail. MFP doesn't take these things into consideration on exercise, so I try not to worry too much about how many calories extra I eat. But I always make sure I'm getting enough protein. Tired and hungry is a good indication your body needs more.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has been slow but it is happening. I try not to eat back all of my calories I earn. Some days I am really hungry, then I too make sure the calories I am eating from exercise have protein.