Mashed potatoes or white rice?

Options
Trying to figure out which is worse for you? Right now we have leftover mashed potatoes and leftover jasmine rice and I'm not sure which one I should have with dinner. I would of course have a small portion!

On another note I have some brown rice but I am the only one in a family of 4 who eats it so when I make a portion a lot goes to waste

Replies

• astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't believe either options are bad for you. Mashed potatoes, especially with the skin, have lots of nutrients (+ fiber if you eat the skin). I'm not much of a rice eater, so I'm not sure about its nutrient content. But, I do love potatoes. On average, I eat a potato a day.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    neither is bad for you - but they have different nutrients, tastes and so on. you don't mention if your mashed potatoes are full of butter, cream, etc, or whether your rice was made with oil, or what you'd have on/with each one.

i treat myself to mashed potatoes made with non-fat milk and pepper, then add greek yogurt and it's yummy, healthy and lowish in calories, too. i sometimes stream small pieces of broccoli, toss it in a little light italian and stir it gently into the mashed potatoes. delish!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    worse? None!
    Mashed potatoes will (should) have a higher fat and protein content than jasmine rice so realistically - go for which ever best fits your macros!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    both are high gi, therefore your insulin will spike and then you will store fat.

notsrs

IIFYM
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would choose mashed potatoes because they are clearly the most delicious option.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes...but only because I like them more! I don't eat much rice, because I usually find it to not be worth the calories. Neither are harmful to a weightloss plan as long as you stay within your calorie deficit.

Edit for typo.
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well that depends, I make my mashed potatoes with 50% butter, 50% potato.

^ so much this.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Both? Because both mashed potato and jasmine rice are delicious.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on how the potatoes were made, and what you're having with them. If you crammed lots of butter in there, then the rice may be "healthier," but if you also included some skin, then you'll have extra fiber...but if you're having it with, for example, a chinese dish or stir fry, then you're probably better off with the rice regardless. Also, you could keep the rice to make rice pudding later.
  • Nunilwen
    Nunilwen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To clarify a bit, the rice was boiled in water and then drained. The mashed potatoes were peeled and milk, butter and a little salt was added in!

I plan to fry some chicken breast meat in 1 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil to eat with either rice or mashed potatoes topped with just a bit of BBQ sauce for flavor!
  • boopathon
    Options
    hmm.. cant say much but i think this could help a bit, http://tinyurl.com/lzqxl2z if you dont have time you can just download the transcript or audio for later
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    To clarify a bit, the rice was boiled in water and then drained. The mashed potatoes were peeled and milk, butter and a little salt was added in!

I plan to fry some chicken breast meat in 1 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil to eat with either rice or mashed potatoes topped with just a bit of BBQ sauce for flavor!

I think the flavor profile of the barbeque sauce will probably go better with potatoes than with rice...just my opinion though.
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    White carbs are scientifically proven to be strored as fat straight away, even when eaten in what some would call "caloric deficit". You have to eat brown rice and brown potatos. Or you can mash your potatoes with something dark, that will do the trick
  • Nunilwen
    Options
    We used homegrown (in our own veggie garden) brown skinned potatoes to make the mashed potatoes if it makes any difference! The skin was peeled off though, Swedes/Fins have something against eating the skin of potatoes! Personally I love smashed potatoes that have skin in it just as much as I love the fatty milk, butter and salt mashed potatoes.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    White carbs are scientifically proven to be strored as fat straight away, even when eaten in what some would call "caloric deficit". You have to eat brown rice and brown potatos. Or you can mash your potatoes with something dark, that will do the trick

Lol, What!?

Something dark...like chocolate syrup? or molasses? a pint of guiness?
    Thank god you've found the secret to losing weight :noway:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options

Not sure if you are serious? :tongue:

Surely not. :noway:

Just in case anyone is taking this post seriously - No, white carbs (whatever they are) or any carbs for that matter, do not get stored as fat straight away.

Unless you prefer brown rice or brown potatoes or there is some nutrient in them that you wish to have more of (say, fibre - maybe there is more in brown rice) there is no need to choose brown over white - or to mix anything into your mashed potatoes that you do not want to have there.

I make mashed potatoes with skim milk and small dash of margarine - rice I just cook by itself, no oil or anything else.

Either are fine OP - as long as you fit them into your calorie allowance, just like any other food.
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I found frozen mashed potatoes at the supermarket and they are yummy
    200 grams is 210 calories pretty good value I think
  • Nunilwen
    Options
    Thank you for the replies everyone!

I will probably go with a small portion of mashed potatoes because it does go a lot better with BBQ sauce!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are a good source of potassium and vitamin C.

ETA: I needed a snack anyway. Off to make a baked potato! :drinker: