All vegan diet - Freelee the banana girl

Options
hi guys, i was wondering what you thought about the freelee banana girl diet...(on youtube)....she claims that you can eat as much raw foods (fruit, veg, nuts, whatever it may be) and lose weight. she eats 30 bananas a day along with much more food and she looks fabulous. and there are all kinds of testimonials......do you think this is a good way of living life and can you really lose weight eating as many calories as you want but having them all come from raw food choices?

thx :glasses:

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no.

just. so much. no.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Calories in v's calories out (and at 30 banana's a day, I would be interested to know how much sodium is then being taken on to counteract too much potassium, because that's a lot of potassium in just the bananas).
    Feeling that if you dig a bit deeper into this, there'll be more to it that eat all you want fruit/veg, how much does she exercise each day, what supplements are being taken to deal with the missing essentials from meat etc??

Personally I don't think it sounds sustainable for the majority of us, sounds like another fad diet to me.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    banana_despicable_me.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    NO
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    hi guys, i was wondering what you thought about the freelee banana girl diet...(on youtube)....she claims that you can eat as much raw foods (fruit, veg, nuts, whatever it may be) and lose weight. she eats 30 bananas a day along with much more food and she looks fabulous. and there are all kinds of testimonials......do you think this is a good way of living life and can you really lose weight eating as many calories as you want but having them all come from raw food choices?

thx :glasses:

I hope you like your bathroom. You'll be spending a lot of time in it if you decide to go this route.

And no, I don't think it's a good way to live life. I'd be miserable.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely sure, but I'm pretty sure that "eating 30 bananas a day" is actually a euphemism.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I point you to this conversation I had previously in the forums. I will not take Freelee's advice on anything. Wouldn't trust her farther than I could throw her. 0/10.
    Freelee is the chick that called Jenna Marbles fat, isn't she? Pic below from July 2013, about when that happened... she's a nutter and hardly a good person to use as any sort of reference.

Jenna+Marbles+Cincinnati+Reds+v+Los+Angeles+00hXSgRyz6Rl.jpg
  • srslybritt
    Options
    Deleted, creepy double post.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    She also suffers from IBS/Crohn's. So her motivation to eat this way is do to intestinal/colon issues. The other foods are pain triggers.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    She also suffers from IBS/Crohn's. So her motivation to eat this way is do to intestinal/colon issues. The other foods are pain triggers.

LOL. No.

Raw fruits and raw vegetables are common triggers for Chron's pain.
  • bananamaple
    bananamaple Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I tried this for 3 months and it did not work for me. I gained 2 kg and now I'm trying to lose it -_-. It seems to work better for 'some' people who are really overweight but doesn't seem to work for people who are at a healthy weight or underweight. I went from 53kg to 55kg and almost up to 56kg and I'm 5'7". I now have massive dental bills from the accelerated rate of tooth decay that came with eating that much fruit and I can't tell you how bad my digestion was -_-. I was eating 2500 - 3000 calories a day and literally forcing the food in. Now my portion sizing is distorted and I am attempting to retrain myself to be satisfied with less food :( I'm still absolutely vegan and really enjoy my food but fruitarianism is almost beyond being vegan because it's so extreme.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    Chron's/colitis patients are generally supposed to eat foods that are lower in fiber.

You know what's not low in fiber?

Fruit.
  • rachiealx
    Options
    ...she called JennaMarbles fat?! Disliking her even more now.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I want to puke after eating 1 banana nevermind 30 bananas.
    You know what's a good diet for health and weight loss? Eating in moderation at a calorie deficit with some exercise. Who knew.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    ...she called JennaMarbles fat?! Disliking her even more now.

Not in so many words... but essentially, yes. When the internet discovered that Jenna was no longer following a mostly-vegan diet, this chick was the first to step out and talk about how "bloated" and "unhappy" she looked.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this yesterday (well, not this Banana girl specifically, but in general, about social media and bloggers). How easy is it for ANYONE to start a blog, a YouTube channel, whatever and make whatever claims they want about health and nutrition. Some of which advice is downright dangerous. It's amazing to me how a strong personality and/or headline/topic can get people on a bandwagon they never anticipated going on. Again, this isn't just the Banana girl... there are lots of sites like these.

(I guess on a personal note I'm intrigued because I am a blogger - not in nutrition/fitness niche though).

IMHO, I think eating lots of raw foods is a good thing, but I get leery of ANY diet that portends to be the only/best way to eat and excludes several major food groups.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    You forget that Freelee is also a cyclist and runner and she exercises every single day, one hard session in the morning and usually a walk with her dog in the afternoon. Yes, I've watched her daily video blogs and this is what I noticed...! Sure, you can eat as much as you want but you're still gonna have to exercise it off. Freelee also used to have an eating disorder; I think this way of overeating till you are way point the past of full is a part of it. The only difference is binging on fruit...!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Not to mention 30 banannas a day is about 15,000 mg which equals 15 grams (which is alot) of Potassium. Too much Potassium will raise your PH which will destroy your kidneys and or kill you over a period of time. My wife is a dialysis nurse and she freaks out if I eat maybe 5 a day. I like banannas but 30 a day thats even too much for me. And what was stated ealeir how much salt would you have to take to counteract that at least. This does not even include the potassium intake from other foods.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Not to mention 30 banannas a day is about 15,000 mg which equals 15 grams (which is alot) of Potassium. Too much Potassium will raise your PH which will destroy your kidneys and or kill you over a period of time. My wife is a dialysis nurse and she freaks out if I eat maybe 5 a day. I like banannas but 30 a day thats even too much for me. And what was stated ealeir how much salt would you have to take to counteract that at least. This does not even include the potassium intake from other foods.

Truth!

Also, certain medications already elevate potassium. I try to limit my potassium intake because I'm on Yaz.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    I was thinking about this yesterday (well, not this Banana girl specifically, but in general, about social media and bloggers). How easy is it for ANYONE to start a blog, a YouTube channel, whatever and make whatever claims they want about health and nutrition. Some of which advice is downright dangerous. It's amazing to me how a strong personality and/or headline/topic can get people on a bandwagon they never anticipated going on. Again, this isn't just the Banana girl... there are lots of sites like these.

(I guess on a personal note I'm intrigued because I am a blogger - not in nutrition/fitness niche though).

IMHO, I think eating lots of raw foods is a good thing, but I get leery of ANY diet that portends to be the only/best way to eat and excludes several major food groups.

Bolded for emphasis. This is a good point.