Carbs are BAD!!!

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Catchy title got ya, huh?

(I am not entirely sure this is the correct category, but yeah..HELP!)

I have this friend who wants to eat healthy, wants to do sports with me and so on. Cool, eh? However, she usually puts down what I eat. Yesterday I invited her for dinner, made a veggie puree with GASP potatoes and she said that the carbs are bad for you. I was here like "But I like potatoes". She wants to do low carb, fine. Do it, but do't put down my dinner. She also nagged about my portion. I was happy with a bowl of my puree and she said "Isn't that too little?"

Her usual food is something like crispy breads, lots of noodles and so on...Mostly stuff with carbs and lots of fat for sauces. So I have no idea where she gets the authority to tell me what stuff is bad. (Apparently she did a nutrition seminar for school once.)

I think what it comes down to is this:

1. Venting. I want to get this off my chest so I don't explode in her face.

2. Similar stories. What do you guys do in situations like this?

3. Links. Anyone have a link that shows that the body needs carbs?

Where was your protein? Protein is GOOD!!!!!!
  • Vortex_ConQueso
    Options
    I did low-carb (Atkins '02 model) for over a year and lost over sixty pounds. I got two very good benefits from it during that time:

1. Notably decreased appetite from being in ketosis which translated directly to a calorie deficit.
    2. Self-discipline in that "slipping up" would knock me out of ketosis, and getting back into it was three days of feeling flu-like.

It still all came down to a calorie deficit. I exercise daily now, and I don't drink like I used to. I still keep an eye on my carbs, but I'm certainly not doing a ketosis-level diet any more. All these translate to a thousand calories less per day than I ate in the past. Instead of 2,800, it's 1,800/day.

Like everyone else has written, she doesn't get to choose which ones "count", and which ones don't.

If she's hell-bent on Atkins, there are plenty of books that detail what she needs to know, instead of what she wants to believe.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is as simple as a conversation with her. Just let her know that everyone has a different approach on diet and you will respect her low carb diet and she can respect your choices.

I have a friend that has lost 80 pounds doing low carbs so I tried it a few times. I just can't. Just doesn't work for me. I missed my carbs, But, I've now found what does work for me and since have lost almost 17 pounds. Now we have started strength training together and still share recipes that fit into both our plans.

When I read the post the first thing I thought was - You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. I said for years I wanted to lose weight and exercise and blah blah blah. Until your friend is ready to do it for herself it won't matter. But, continue to encourage her and let her know (regardless of what diet plan) you will be there for her.

Keep up the good work!
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If someone put down my food choices like that, I'd chuck a boiling hot sweet potato in their face and then tip a bowl of fresh out of the microwave oats over their head for good measure.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    They are naughty and must be spanked.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

3. Links. Anyone have a link that shows that the body needs carbs?

Everybody works differently.
    If I don't' get at least 100 grams of carbs in my system and I go and work out, I will get physically ill and I will vomit.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Ironically, the long quote I provided is from a low carb group moderator on MFP.

Well, you forgot to really point out that she was eating low carb AND low fat which is a no-no on low carb diet and she was eating like this for a LONG time.

OP - It doesnt' really sound like she's doing low carb...I don't know what she's doing if she's eating noodles, etc. I would just continue doing what you want and just say "Well it's working for me obviously".
  • twoaugustgirls
    twoaugustgirls Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree and I am no authority on anything but I asked one the trainers for the Ironman athletes and her response was that I should reduce processed carbs and get the majority of my carbs from fruit and try to stay high in protein. She feels that our bodies need carbs but we can get them from more natural sources ie: potatoes! veggies, fruit. She suggested I eat a banana with peanut butter instead of bread or when making a sandwich I make it with a big leaf of lettuce and the meats cheeses and mustard. She also said this was to loose weight and be healthy. She did not suggest that I never eat bread or carbs again. Just use modification and make smart choices and be more conscious of it while I need to loose weight.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    If carbs are bad, then I am a very bad bad girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always have carbs in my diet!!!!!!

If I didn't I wouldn't be able to do the workouts that I do in the gym!

She needs to look at her own diet I think : )
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering carb-aholic. Loved pasta, rice dishes, big deli sandwiches, pancakes, sugar cereal, and just about anything sweet. All I know is I cut these things back probably 80-90% and have lost a good deal of weight with routine exercise.
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I had lost a bunch weight before eating smaller meals a few times a day but I would have a small to medium potato when I wanted, or on weekends, etc. I, for some insane reason, tried to low carb this past week after trying it before without success a few times, and again, I just run out of options, not to mention it's pricey!! So Back to just cutting down my portions and trying to eat as clean as possible. And your friend should support you in what you do, if her way is different, that is fine for her, but unless she is perfectly fit and a success story, she can't say crap about what is right for you. Good luck! :D
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    One nutrition seminar in school does not an expert make. You friend was rude and a bad guest.

I personally don't eliminate or restrict any particular food group.

Balance, to me, is the most important thing.

This exactly... sounds like your friend is a bit toxic regarding your attempts to lose weight. Don't let it derail you! Carbs are not bad in and of themselves... in fact, they are necessary. You just need to pick good ones and potatoes are just fine!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to handle it is to talk to her honestly. She probably thinks she is helping. Tell her your healthy eating plan includes carbs but if she has something proving that they are bad you'd be happy to look over it. When she says something about portion size you could thank her for her concern then explain to her that you are logging your food and ensuring you are consuming enough. If she continues to pick at you then tell her that her negativity is bothering you and that you will not want to spend time with her if she is always criticizing you.
  • jdb503
    Options
    Low carb diets aren't for everyone but realistically ketoacidosis occurs at too great a calorie deficit. The keto diet has nothing to do with starving yourself and research hasn't tied it to any long term health problems when done correctly. Some of us are carb intolerant, meaning 50 grams of carbs a day can stall weight loss because we have an exaggerated insulin response. I for one love potatoes but can't eat them. But yeah your friend sounds like a **** she could have politely declined and left it at that.
  • Evgfab
    Options
    Everyone's approach to dieting and healthy eating is different. It certainly good to have some cards in a balanced diet. I don't count how much carbs I eat, but I try to listen to my body what it needs and what it wants. I know how certain types of food, including food I cook affect my mood and energy level. I prefer to make a conscious discussion about what I eat and what I want to do after. Would I eat past? Oh, yes! If I know that I am staying home and watching a movie, why not? But I really want to stay focus I would rather go for something else. It's your life. You can listen to your friend's advice, but only you can decide what to do.
  • Sim123one
    Sim123one Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    People are always going to voice there opinions and try to tell you you're wrong when it comes to diet/nutrition/weight loss.

At the end of the day, it's all down to what works for you. What might work for her, might not work for you.

Personally, I have to keep my carbs under control (by keeping them relatively low) otherwise my IBS flares up terrible!
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There are so many different kinds of carbs, proteins and fats that saying any of the three are good or bad is naive.

Our bodies are also very well equipped to give us signals as to what we need - once we learn how to interpret. I'm a very low sugar guy - I don't need much at all, a big day for me is 20g - but I usually stay lower than 10. However, 35% of my diet is typically carbs - mainly green veggies, and whatever tags along with the lean proteins or whatever else I'm eating.

I'm huge for protein - not Atkins crazy - just my body craves protein. Fish - especially salmon & tuna - is really a happy food for me and my body. I don't get too hung up on the fat with the fish either - but I do keep to a certain caloric intake regardless - so every calorie is a calorie.

My diet works for me - I'm happy, not hungry and have energy. My wife, couldn't do my diet because her body has different nutritional needs. If you looked at our percentages of intake (just carbs, fats & protein) it wouldn't be massive - a few points higher in protein for me, a few points lower in fat / higher in carbs for her. She has a higher sugar intake than I do as well.

My wife is a Dietician and fortunately I'm lucky to be able to bounce off half the crazy talk that I read / hear about food and diets off of her. It's really so simple - but people want to make things complex.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I tried low carbing it several years ago and lost 45 lbs. It's an easy diet and cutting carbs really does curb your appetite. Trouble is, you've got to stick with it for the rest of your life. Slip up and you'll feel all wonky and have to spend a few days getting back to ketosis. Ultimately, I found the diet too difficult to keep doing forever. I gained everything back and then some. At the heart of the problem is that low carbs isn't about saying "not today" to certain foods, it's essentially saying "never again" to whole food categories. Basically have deny yourself 80% of all foods in restaurants and 2/3rds of the aisles at the grocery store. A life without birthday cake, pasta, bread, cookies and ice cream is not worth living IMHO. Now, I just count my calories and macros and if I can fit in the occasional candy bar, I do.

So in summary, my take on low carbs:
    1) Great for losing weight
    2) Lousy for maintenance
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Honest talk it is. Thanks :)