Super Easy Boiled Eggs

Options
Just in case this hasn't been covered here, I have found the EASIEST way to make hard boiled eggs.

Step 1. Get out your steamer basket. - I have a pot that has a steamer insert. This is a great investment even if you don't like eggs for quickly making tasty foods.

Step 2. Get some water boiling underneath the basket. SInce you won't be putting eggs IN the water you don't need to boil a LOT of water. My stock pot is fairly large so I put about an inch or two of water in the bottom. It really doesn't matter, this just means it will boil faster.

Step 3. Is your water boiling? Is there steam starting to come out from the lid? Great, insert your basket and fill with eggs. My steamer basket is fairly large and we have fit up to 16 eggs in it at once.

Step 4. Cover and wait. at about 12 minutes (your times may vary a bit) the eggs will be cooked with the yellow just SLIGHTLY undercooked. At 13-14 minutes you get a perfect hard boil. It is almost impossible to mess these up so don't worry about trying different times to find your perfect egg. While you're waiting, get a bowl out, fill with water and add some ice.

Step 5. Put the eggs in the ice bath you made during step 4. Let them sit for at least a minute or two. YOu can leave them longer however for me they are a little harder to peel when they are ice cold. We peel straight away and then store in the fridge.

If, on the off chance you have one that broke open during steaming, it's probably still good to eat. We have had all of one (out of over 50) break open and it was still delicious.

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I though the easiest way to boil eggs was to put eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes > take out > leave to cool > eat.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Sounds like steamed eggs.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Is the title implying that boiling eggs WASN'T already easy enough?
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do not like my eggs boiled, but I am a fan of the Tupperware Omelette party, to cook omelettes in the microwave oven.
    I don't burn them, no oil or butter needed, and it is non-stick. Downside: it is quite small.

Cooking an egg to perfection is an art!
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Is the title implying that boiling eggs WASN'T already easy enough?

^^^^^^^
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I do something similar, but I put them in my rice cooker. I prefer it to boiling, and doesn't take nearly as much time as regular boiling. :smile:
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I though the easiest way to boil eggs was to put eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes > take out > leave to cool > eat.

pretty much ^ this. except I do put them in a cold water bath to cool them and stop the cooking.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options

pretty much ^ this. except I do put them in a cold water bath to cool them and stop the cooking.

Well yeah, if you want to get complicated...

:wink:
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Super easy boiled eggs:
    1. boil water
    2. insert eggs
    3. ???
    4. profit

... wait.
  • driczal
    driczal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hard-boiled eggs, but always forget they are cooking for some reason, and waiting for water to boil drives me crazy???

I found a hard-boiled egg cooker on sale at Target that cooks 7 at a time perfectly every time with an alarm that reminds you to take them out. Key for peeling is to always throw them in ice water, then put the bowl in the refrigerator for awhile. The peels slide right off.

You will always have perfectly hard-boiled eggs available when you need them.:smile:
  • mbrough58
    mbrough58 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this interesting technique. Does the yolk stay yellow or turn a bit grey on on the edges?
  • shuasmith
    Options
    I have never found actually boiling eggs super easy considering timing and broken eggs and more. So between this and Alton Browns method of baking boiled eggs I think its way easier. Plus I can empty my steamer basket, fill it back up and put it back on without changing water or losing a boil which makes it perfect for making eggs in bulk for parties or steaming some chicken and then veggies and more.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    How about this?
    step 1. put eggs in saucer with water
    step 2. put on stove and boil
    step 3. lower heat and let boil for 5-7 minutes
    step 4. turn off, rinse with cold water before peeling
    step 5. eat and enjoy
    This way you only use one saucer and only need paper towel to unpeel. Less dishes to wash is always a win for me.
  • shuasmith
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this interesting technique. Does the yolk stay yellow or turn a bit grey on on the edges?

The yolk stays yellow with this.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Super easy boiled eggs:
    1. boil water
    2. insert eggs
    3. ???
    4. profit

... wait.

... I always start them in cold water and bring the eggs and water to a boil together. And I have one of these:

30002687-1286540594-144000.jpg
  • shuasmith
    Options
    How about this?
    step 5. eat and enjoy
    This way you only use one saucer and only need paper towel to unpeel. Less dishes to wash is always a win for me.

How big are your saucers?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Eggs should NEVER be boiled. The temperature of boiling water makes the whites rubbery (steaming is iffy but more likely will be a few degrees lower so won't harm the whites). Put them in cold water, put the lid on, put the burner on high and just as the water starts to boil, remove the pan and let sit for 15 minutes, then cool in an ice bath.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    How about this?
    step 5. eat and enjoy

How big are your saucers?

Depends on how many eggs I cook. Usually I only cook 4 at a time so I use the smallest pan possible. But this would work with more eggs with a bigger saucepans.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie - making hard boiled eggs is probably the thing I'm worst at in life. They never turn out just right.
  • wolf_tickets
    wolf_tickets Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like the steaming method best because you only have to wait a minute for the water to start boiling. I use a kitchen timer app on my phone to remind me when they're done and ready to be dropped in a bowl of cold water.

It's annoying when eggs crack, which still happens sometimes with this method. An elegant solution is to make a tiny pinhole in the shell of the bottom of the each egg with a pushpin before cooking.

Eggs are amazing--it's unfortunate they got a bad rap for so long.