Power rack?

Options
In March of this year I started bodyweight resistance training moved up to working with light dumbbells and then joined a gym to start doing new rules of lifting for women. I am getting ready to go into stage four of the program and would like to ditch the gym membership (really I just hate the smith machine and not being able to adjust the barbell weights) and create an at-home gym… I am looking at purchasing a power rack or cage because I will be lifting alone and want to do it safely. Any recommendations? I've seen a few posts that say stay away from brands like Marcy or weider and I wonder if that is a general recommendation or if those brands are okay given that I am looking to get more defined and stronger but not devoting my life to training.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Check out D*cks Sporting goods. The one's there are fine unless you have a Prime membership for Amazon and don't have to pay out the *ss for shipping.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Check out D*cks Sporting goods. The one's there are fine unless you have a Prime membership for Amazon and don't have to pay out the *ss for shipping.

The Best Fitness BFPR100 that they sell is pretty solid for you average person. If you don't anticipate needing to squat over 500 lbs, I would suggest that one.

If you want something that is a little more sturdy, look at the Titan Fitness Power Rack. I have seen some pretty good reviews on this one and will be purchasing it for myself soon. It is cheaper than the above model, but being able to check out the BFPR100 in person may be worth the extra money to ensure that you are happy with this investment.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

The Best Fitness BFPR100 that they sell is pretty solid for you average person. If you don't anticipate needing to squat over 500 lbs, I would suggest that one.

If you want something that is a little more sturdy, look at the Titan Fitness Power Rack. I have seen some pretty good reviews on this one and will be purchasing it for myself soon. It is cheaper than the above model, but being able to check out the BFPR100 in person may be worth the extra money to ensure that you are happy with this investment.

I have this model. I really like it. Its simple, easy to assemble, and pretty straight forward to use. I ordered mine from adamantbarbell.com. Shipping was faster than expected.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    go to rogue.com, if you buy a rack then the entire order will ship for free, which will easily save you 1000 bucks if your buying plates and dumbells
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Rogue.
  • 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I noticed Rogue doesn't offer a lat pull down attachment/option - I'm wondering if I will miss out not having that? or cross over cables? I know I don't need something super heavy duty b/c this chick isn't likely to ever lift super heavy (I'm lifting heavy for me though). Just trying to figure out what will allow me the most options w/o going broke or overboard...
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Craigslist is your friend for power racks and weights. I got a power rack, 310 lbs of plates, nice barbell and bench for $450. Still using it and can't find a reason to replace it. I have ogled the Rogue racks (they are just up the road from me) but can't find a good reason to replace what I have. It's just iron.

As for goofy add ons like lat pull downs and cable cross overs, you won't miss them. The big 4 lifts plus pull ups, dips and rows will serve you well for many years. KISS.

Tom
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I bought a power rack off Craigslist just a few weeks ago for $100 and the guy even threw in a free weight bench (yay!). Mine is an older model sold at D*ck's (I think Fitness Gear brand), and so far it's working out great for me. I had bought some free weights and an Olympic bar from another guy off Craigslist a while before that, so total spent for my "starter" workout set with power rack was only $225. I think it should last me for a while!

PS: Check out Google Chrome's app Popup Notifications for Craigslist where you can get real-time alerts when something you're looking for is posted.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you have a handy guy or two in your family have them build you one.

There are a lot of plans online.

My current one is wooden built by husband with help from son...

Next one will be metal as my son is a welder...costs 1/4 the price of one in a store or even on craigs list most of the time.

I think we priced it out for the metal for it to be about 150$...the rest is labour and since he's my kid he's doing it for free since I feed him n all...give him a place to sleep etc.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Craigslist.org
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I noticed Rogue doesn't offer a lat pull down attachment/option - I'm wondering if I will miss out not having that? or cross over cables? I know I don't need something super heavy duty b/c this chick isn't likely to ever lift super heavy (I'm lifting heavy for me though). Just trying to figure out what will allow me the most options w/o going broke or overboard...

I've never seen those on a power rack.

Are you looking more for something like a bowflex?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I'm getting a half power rack from D*cks Sporting Goods that doubles as a weight rack. It's sturdy, and it's only about $350.

To be honest, you could probably get by with a squat rack unless you plan on doing pullups eventually. And you can find those pretty easily on craigslist.

ETA: I have seen some power rack models with cable attachments, but I don't think it'll be in your budget. Those are easily thousands of dollars.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    craigslist, search "squat rack"
    example: https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=squat+rack&sort=rel
    Result nearby: http://reading.craigslist.org/spo/4640507989.html
    Check every day.
    Maybe be on the lookout for adjustable dumbbells too.
    You don't need a lat pull or cables. There's plenty of other accessory excercise you can do with a barbell, plates, bodyweight, or bands.
  • docc30
    docc30 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

The body solid rack that I got off Craigslist used for $100 has a lat attachment as an option. http://www.bodysolid.com/Home/PPR200X/Powerline_Power_Rack

I talked to my trainer about it, and he didn't recommend it. He said that he had one, and he said it was always in the way of the bench.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'd start with craigslist to see what you can find in your area. I didn't have much luck finding a rack locally but you can almost always find a good deal on used plates. That said, there are plenty of good options in the $300-350 range. If you go into the Rogue range, there are other brands like Sorinex that are worth considering as well, but honestly I wouldn't bother spending that much right now. That $800-1200 could be better spent on a nicer barbell, adjustable dumbbells, bands, an adjustable bench and so on.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

if its got those kind of attachements, its not really a power rack.

Or its some crazy hybrid thing thats ultra expensive and gym quatlity.

or its at home crap that was trying to do too much.

if you want that kind of stuff you will probably be better off buying it seperately. many will come with a pull up bar. a high and low pulley would honestly be something nice to have. a cable crossover set up would be over kill IMO since thats about all you will use it for. Theres other exercises you might do that way, but most of those you could probably do one arm at a time. come to think of it, you could do 'crossovers' one arm at a time if you really wanted to
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

if you want that kind of stuff you will probably be better off buying it seperately. many will come with a pull up bar. a high and low pulley would honestly be something nice to have. a cable crossover set up would be over kill IMO since thats about all you will use it for. Theres other exercises you might do that way, but most of those you could probably do one arm at a time. come to think of it, you could do 'crossovers' one arm at a time if you really wanted to

Valor makes one that looks okay for its price and size and offers a high/low pulley in addition to the rack and would probably suit the OP just fine. Not saying it's the way the OP should go, but only that such racks do exist and aren't necessarily super expensive (quite a bit less than an entry level Rogue rack, actually).
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    honestly buy quality - i would get one of the rogue racks, make sure it has a high weight limit as well - alot of the shoddier racks have a much much lower max load - you may pay a little more initially but its well worth it in the long run
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Valor makes one that looks okay for its price and size and offers a high/low pulley in addition to the rack and would probably suit the OP just fine. Not saying it's the way the OP should go, but only that such racks do exist and aren't necessarily super expensive (quite a bit less than an entry level Rogue rack, actually).

have you used it? i've yet to buy a home bench that doesn't feel like a piece of crap. thats why i'm willing to pay a little more next time.

don't doubt that they exist, just would be skeptical of the quality at any price i would personally consider 'afforable'
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'll be the dissenting voice. Don't buy the Rogue rack.
    As you mentioned, you're never going to need a rack that heavy duty and rated for that much weight. A new $200 rack rated for 300lbs will suit your needs.