How do I keep on a diet with a house full of non dieters?

Options
So my issues are that I drink a replacement meal shake every morning dice I do not have time to fix breakfast for myself. I don't have time at work to snack, but when I get home everyday dinner is already made and I don't know exactly how to count the calories that's in the dinner I am eating. My other issue is that my house is full of people not trying to follow any diet so idk don't know how or what to eat.

What help can you guys give me?

Replies

• violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I just had to bite the bullet and make my own meals.
  • You can eat the same things as everyone else. Just work on portion control.
  • Lovoya12
    Lovoya12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Also, there are always donuts and cake meet-ups at my job. Since the Holidays are right around the corner, I need advice on how to get through these types of challenges so I won't repeat the same cycle, which is... Loose weight weight right before my birthday in October, start gaining weight around Thanksgiving, then Christmas and have to start all over in January. Help:(
  • JenSBrown2015
    JenSBrown2015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    you don't have time at work to have a snack? well don't you get breaks??that would be a good time to snack... also I live in a house with non dieters too and guess what I survived...I started making my kids eat healthier options start buying healthier food and if you need to make your own meal when you get home... or enjoy what everyone else is having and just limit the amount your having
  • christinazaia
    christinazaia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I ignore what everyone else eats...and just do my own thing....it works for me....but I plan my meals ahead usually
  • angelabethb
    angelabethb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I basically just have to make my own food even though my family always cooks a really unhealthy dinner every night. After about a week of being strong and telling them that you don't want the food they're eating, they'll become used to it. They might even be inspired by your weight loss! That's what I'm hoping anyway!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Portion Control.....you need to be responsible for what you put into your mouth regardless of what is already cooked..just have smaller portions and more veggies.....and if you cant snack at work then snack too and from during your commute munch on something healthy.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to how determined are you and how badly do you want this change? ... If you have the WANT you will find the way to do it. I have a family of 4 other people in the house. None of the others are trying to lose weight. But I am. I make seperate food .. meal prep on the weekend for me for the week. If you really want this you will do it. It can be done! :) Good luck!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Use a smaller plate than everyone else so you'll get a smaller portion and never take seconds even if everyone else is. Most families make the same recipes over and over again. Just browse through the recipe book and take the time to input them into your recipe section. That way when lasagna is made you can log it accurately. :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I make separate meals in my house. I need to be in control of what goes into my body while I focus on my weight loss. Also, I'm the one that does the grocery shopping so that makes it easier to keep certain things out of the house.
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't diet at all! He likes deep fried everything yet he's built and has a six pack! I don't eat past six o'clock, and he is at work all day. I usually make what I want for breakfast lunch and dinner, and then I will make him something for when he gets home. It's a lot of cooking but I'm a housewife so I don't mind. If you have trouble resisting eating what the others eat, just google how horrible it all is for you . I still encourage my husband to eat healthy since itll benefit him in the long run, and I remind him that I'm already ten years younger, if I get ten times hotter than him, he's really in trouble ;)
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, and frankly it's incredibly frustrating. But, what I've started doing is allowing around a third of my calories and macros to be left for the dinner/end of day, so I can overestimate what that intake is, and hit reasonably close to my goals. The rest of my meals I prepare the day beforehand, or on the weekend.

Especially in a situation like you're describing, meal prep is your friend, and saves a ton of time in the mornings!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Are you "on a diet", or are you making long-term healthy lifestyle choices? It sounds to me like you need to start preparing your own meals so you can have more control over what you put in your body, but maybe you can offer to do the same for the people you live with instead of just eating what they prepare for you? It's not a big deal. I prepare the meals for my whole family - we've all become healthier, even though I'm the only one with weight loss as part of my health goals. Is that such a bad thing?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Estimate your dinner calories or just eat less overall without counting calories. As for "I don't know what to eat", there are a lot of books and free online resources besides diet forums.

I'm doing intermittent fasting while preparing two meals a day for kids even on my fast days. You can diet in a house of non-dieters, I have confidence! :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If these other people include a mom who says, "You're eating what the rest of us eat," then you have to take your best guess on calories.

If they're people who don't make rules for you, make your own food.

As far as jealousy over what other people eat, get used to it. You'll find your way through that. Personally, I want what I want so much that I don't see myself as deprived, but as happy and/or lucky that I'm not eating whatever they are. Depends on your outlook. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Who do you live with? Can't you ask what is in the food? I really don't understand this problem.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    I make it a mix between portion control and doing my own thing.

I think portion control is great but the simple fact is that for me sometimes eating small portions of what my family is eating means I'm going to bed hungry. Granted this is a very small part of the time because generally I'm cooking and we're eating healthy and my family doesn't have too much issue with that (they just eat more of what I'm having).

It doesn't sound like that is an option for you so that makes it harder.

But when it's something I'm just really not inclined to eat I opt out and have a salad or lean cuisine or some leftovers from a healthier meal I made previously. Typically when this happens though is when the rest of my family is eating later (due to work, school or practice) and I would have had to have eaten already because I can't eat too late (not that I think there's anything wrong with eating late, I just work out after work and can't wait too long to eat).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    kill?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I make most of the food at home, so it's not an issue for me there.

But, we eat often enough at my in laws for me to be able to give you input. I eat what they eat, I just measure it out and make some choices. My MIL likes to make sure everyone is well fed, so she always goes overboard on what she makes. If she makes 3 types of meat, 2 veggies, and 3 starches, I'll eat 1 type of meat, 2 veggies, and 1 starch. I serve myself when everyone else is and just weigh it out. Actually the extra options means that I can choose the "best" option instead of being stuck with a really poor choice. The point is that you don't have to eat everything. Or you can eat a little bit of everything, just less of it.

I know a lot of families don't cook like that every night. However, you can still do this. I cook "regular" food at home. The same food I was eating when I gained the weight. It's just that now I measure it out and changed my portion sizes. Extra veggies, less starch. I'm betting that 75 to 90 percent of the time, you could do this too. As for the rest, make a sandwich, a salad, or heat up a can of soup.

Eating is a huge part of most cultures. In order for you to be successful long term, you need to figure out how to eat with other people.
  • Kristina2k
    Options
    I agree with others and I would make a concerted effort to take one day out of the week (like Sunday afternoon) and prep your meals for the week. Weight loss can be achievable but you got put some time and effort into it!

I've used Ziploc Steamer bags with lean chicken or shrimp, fresh veggies & herbs. Sometimes I'll put a low fat marinade or sauce in. You just pop them in the microwave for a few minutes and you have a healthy, portion controlled meal. Amazon usually has the best price on these but you can get them at Target, Walmart or your local grocery store in the bag aisle.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Steam-Cooking-Medium-10-Count/dp/B003UEKBKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410365910&sr=8-1&keywords=ziploc+steamer+bags

Another thing I like to do is make turkey meatballs or burgers. I'll keep them in the fridge and when I need a quick meal or don't feel like cooking, I'll pop them in the microwave (since I controlled the portions, I know how many calories and what ingredients are in each) and I'll include some fresh veggies or cubed sweet potatoes.

As far as the breakfast smoothie, I would make sure you also add high protein and fiber mix-ins like peanut butter, pasteurized egg whites, etc. Otherwise I would force myself to scarf down a protein bar or two while at work.