Help getting back on track...

Options
What happened???

I can’t seem to find the passion, dedication, energy and enthusiasm I once had. I was diligently tracking and exercising, and absolutely nothing could stop me. When I started to waiver from my program I kept getting further and further away from my healthy new habits and my goals. Now I just can’t find my drive?

Does anyone have any helpful tips to avoid the unhealthy temptations and find the enthusiasm to get back to exercising and tracking regularly?

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If I waiver I just keep getting back on the horse and start over again. On how to stay motivated? I'm still working on that. My health has some issues right now so that's something that's making me be motivated.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    sometimes there are other more important things to think about. give yourself a break. If you have ever loved exercise you know you can find that love again just by doing it.
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing that is making me stay on track is I have noticed changed in weight, measurements and now I can actually see changes to my stomach. I am to the point now I feel guilty for going over my cals, I log as soon as I finish eating so I can keep track of how I'm doing for the day and what I can do for the rest of the day. I need to work on being more motivated to work out. Where I live it has been hotter longer than usual and its SO HOT outside that I barely want to go from my house to my car parked in the garage. I really don't like going out at night by myself, and early isn't in my vocabulary!
  • Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do enjoy exercising. When I am at the gym, I absolutely can't get enough and I thoroughly enjoy it. It's getting to the gym that's the tough part right now. Thanks for reminding me how much I enjoy working out!!!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    'motivation' comes and goes, so it is a flimsy thing to rest all our dreams of a healthy life upon. Doing it anyway, drive or no drive, motivation or none, is what separates people who make it from people who quit. I am currently working on doing it anyway, every day, no excuses.

If my drive is zero I go to the gym anyway, and I have to burn at least 200 cals before I leave. The faster I do it, the sooner I can quit. I've gotten some of my fastest running times from it. If I have no calories left and I am hungry for a sleeve of cookies & a tube of pringles, I'll give myself a peanut butter sandwich and go to bed.

None of us are perfect and we're guaranteed to slip up here and there, but 'doing it anyway' is a learned behaviour, and you sound like you're ready to learn it.
  • Beachtreasures
    Options
    I love how you give yourself mini goals at the gym -- 200 cal's before I leave!!! Great idea! Thanks!!
  • redgsdmom
    redgsdmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Someone who lost a lot of weight said that they thought about weight loss as just being about their next decision . Making the goal more short term makes it less over whelming
  • Beachtreasures
    Options
    Mini goals might be a good idea. I always have full steam ahead long term goals! Thank you!
  • Renosu
    Renosu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great topic! Very timely for me because I've lost my juju due to not seeing enough progress. I know it helps me when I keep this app open on my phone and log every last morsel and step obsessively, yet........... when there's no progress it's demoralizing and when you have no morals you'll eat and drink anything while laying on the couch like a sloth... :-p
    Thanks for starting this one!
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I confess: I'm a gold star girl. To get my daily motivation, it often helps if I'm acknowledging all the stuff I do right along the way. So I use this app called Lift, where you can create any number of daily goals, which you then get to check off as you do them. One of mine is "Skip coffee & pop," because one of my downfalls is sugary drinks. I also have daily goals for my exercise, and other things that contribute to me being motivated. The app sends you reminders and positive reinforcement, either as emails or push notifications. And when you hit big milestones, like maintaining a habit for 21 days, it will give you a "high five." Literally, this little hand image, and when you tap it on your phone, it's all "BOOM! Way to go!" I am such a nerd that I will high five that little hand. I dunno. I works for me. I used it to get into other good habits, like scooping the litter box EVERY day, and prepping my lunch before I go to bed. Now, it's helping me skip the sugary drinks.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    De-loading periods are good for you. It helps you rejuvenate and refresh - you should be adding regular de-loads to your routine. So, don't beat yourself up.

Dust off and start again - failure is part of overall success.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    We can't be 100% all the time. That's why elite athletes do what is called periodized training. Sometimes the mind and the body need a short break. Maybe you allow yourself to just focus on maintenance for a few weeks, then pick back up. As far as getting into the gym, I used to tell myself that I had to comitt to 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes I still didn't want to be there, I could go. Funny - I never left once I got there.

Sometimes I need to shake things up to keep the motivation going. For me that might mean trying out a new workout style - like kickboxing, or changing my diet up with some new menus and options. Other times I will get myself a new workout outfit to inspire me to get into the gym.

Don't be too hard on yourself ;)
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    None of us are perfect and we're guaranteed to slip up here and there, but 'doing it anyway' is a learned behaviour, and you sound like you're ready to learn it.

That's definitely a behavior I need to learn. I'm currently very motivated so I haven't had to force anything. But I know there will be days ahead where that is not true.
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I set mini-goals for myself also. 5 lbs every 5 weeks. I am a little over a week away from my first mini goal and am 3 pounds away. If I get to my 1st mini goal weight I will have lost 9 pounds in 2 months. If I don't make it but am close I won't feel bad, I will just work harder for mini goal 2. Motivation for me to keep going is my anniversary in mid-December. If I make goals until then I will be smack in the middle of my goal weight range. I'm not losing weight for my husband, but I know that he would be happy and proud of me if I did lose the weight I have gained and he knows I am making an attempt to work on myself.
  • Beachtreasures
    Options
    There are some great hints and tips on here for getting back on track. I am starting to use some! Let's keep this moving forward!
  • LayThoseBricks
    LayThoseBricks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    While I'm a sensitive and romantic chick, I love it when someone shoots straight with me. My primary doctor is old school, old fashioned. He is 81 years old and he doesn't sugar coat ANYTHING, and I love that I am never prescribed any pills or anything. He tells me how to make myself feel better by taking action. I feel like the same perspective and attitude is necessary when considering my workouts (or lack thereof), and my everyday nutrition, and ultimately - my weight.

Earlier this spring, I was wondering why my motivation was so fleeting, why I couldn't keep that fire, and I stumbled upon this:

http://impossiblehq.com/how-to-get-motivated-to-workout

And this dude shoots it straight at you!! Some might say he is harsh.
    WARNING: He is not trying to make friends - He is trying to accomplish goals and help you put yours in perspective.

Every time I do not want to work out, walk in the gym, or suffer another Pilates class, I go to this page. I have it bookmarked!
  • slynn1023
    Options
    If i'm feeling unmotivated or have that "give-up" attitude going on, I search the web for weight loss stories. Seeing that others have done it and how definitely gives me a bit more drive to reach my own goals. Also I've googled images of inspirational quotes or advice and put them places i look all the time, i.e. computer background, phone background... also i have a list of reasons why i want to lose the weight (ride on a roller coaster is top of that list) and i post it on the fridge so it's staring at me right in the face when i go to look for a snack! And as I reach those goals i cross them out, it's a great feeling to look at what has been accomplished.
    Good luck!