Why drink a gallon of water?

Options
I can barely get my 64 ounces in..how in the world do people drink a gallon?

Seriously though. why do people feel they need to drink that much water? Even if you're very active, a gallon?

Body builders...a gallon for all those muscles?

For me, I believe a gallon of water would leave my sodium levels too low.

So, anyone that drinks that much a day...what's the reasoning?

Thanks!

Replies

• violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I guess maybe if you're constantly consuming far too much sodium it would be helpful.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm bigger than you, I require more water. It's not hard for me, but I like ice water.

Edit: it took me a while to drink enough water. 100 oz is my minimum if I take a walk. It really helps me to drink a lot, I don't really over consume sodium either, I don't really understand it myself except that it's just what I personally need.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on their weight, but yeah... I think it's way overkill.
  • iheidibefitt
    iheidibefitt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm bigger than you, I require more water. It's not hard for me, but I like ice water.

I can see that being a possibility. But for those that aren't much bigger than me drinking that much. I try to drink a glass of water every hour or every two hours. I just couldn't do it. Unless it was hot and I was working a lot outside.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You don't need to drink 'a gallon', but you should drink enough to keep your body hydrated. Clear to light urine=good, dark urine=bad. It's this simple.
    I drink a gallon most days, but I also train a lot and sweat a lot. It's not difficult to drink that amount, because everything counts, not just water.

:drinker:
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

Seriously though. why do people feel they need to drink that much water? Even if you're very active, a gallon?

Thanks!
    There's actually very little research supporting the "Everyone should drink a gallon a day" rule. I think people picked a gallon because it isn't likely to harm them and it's a nice round number. Since it's water people feel drinking more then is needed is better then drinking not enough. There is some merit to that line of thinking. I personally don't track water. I drink when I'm thirsty. If I find that I'm hungry and I shouldn't be (just ate a meal, next meal isnt for a while) I drink water. Sometimes thirst/dehydration can be mistaken for hunger. But just like not every person needs the same calories, not every person needs a gallon of water.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Well, I also live in a house with no AC (not really a strange thing in the Bay Area but it does get hot here) so I probably drink extra thanks to that since we're in warm weather.
  • iheidibefitt
    Options
    You don't need to drink 'a gallon', but you should drink enough to keep your body hydrated. Clear to light urine=good, dark urine=bad. It's this simple.
    I drink a gallon most days, but I also train a lot and sweat a lot. It's not difficult to drink that amount, because everything counts, not just water.

:drinker:

I like to keep my urine light or clear. If my urine is clear and I still feel like I have cotton mouth, I sip water. I don't want to have too much.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Because drinking from a gallon jug makes me feel hardcore
  • iheidibefitt
    Options

Thanks!
    There's actually very little research supporting the "Everyone should drink a gallon a day" rule. I think people picked a gallon because it isn't likely to harm them and it's a nice round number. Since it's water people feel drinking more then is needed is better then drinking not enough. There is some merit to that line of thinking. I personally don't track water. I drink when I'm thirsty. If I find that I'm hungry and I shouldn't be (just ate a meal, next meal isnt for a while) I drink water. Sometimes thirst/dehydration can be mistaken for hunger. But just like not every person needs the same calories, not every person needs a gallon of water.

Agreed. As long as my urine is clear and I'm not thirsty, I'm good.

Trying to hit a gallon a day when not thirsty and urine is clear, I just couldn't do it.
  • iheidibefitt
    Options

hahaha I thought body builders because that's who I'm used to seeing with jugs of water.
  • iheidibefitt
    Options
    Well, I also live in a house with no AC (not really a strange thing in the Bay Area but it does get hot here) so I probably drink extra thanks to that since we're in warm weather.

Well like you said, you're bigger than me and that might contribute to it. I guess since I can barely get 64 ounces in it just seems like a TON of water. Like I'd be drowning.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

hahaha I thought body builders because that's who I'm used to seeing with jugs of water.
    Bodybuilders do it because a guy at the gym that is bigger then they are told them do. Bodybuilders do a lot of things because a guy at the gym who was bigger then they are told them to....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother with the 8 glasses a day thing.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • prettychelly
    prettychelly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The simple answer I love water. I only hit a gallon on workout days.
  • iheidibefitt
    Options

Bodybuilders do it because a guy at the gym that is bigger then they are told them do. Bodybuilders do a lot of things because a guy at the gym who was bigger then they are told them to....

I figured it was because with so many muscles they require more water...that when they're in competition they dehydrate so their muscles will pop.
  • iheidibefitt
    Options

Each person is different, that is for sure. I guess 8 is an estimate for people to hover around.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Because I'm just that thirsty....
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 gallons a day It makes me feel better and helped me to lose weight

29509743.png
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Each person is different, that is for sure. I guess 8 is an estimate for people to hover around.

Precisely. People just need to drink more water. It's an average as much as anything. I drink between 8 and 12 glasses a day. Just depends on activity level, whether or not I'm sweating bunches (hard workout or just out in the hot weather), or general thirstiness.

The point really should be: drink mostly water and stay well hydrated. They always have to get anal about numbers. :yawn: