Protein Shakes

Options
So I have been super paranoid about replacing one of my meals (mainly lunch) with a protein shake. I was worried that it just wouldn't fill me up and would just leave me craving physical food. I was wrong. I got a turtle cheesecake protein shake yesterday...25g protein...253 calories...100% filling and delicious. I was completely satisfied until 6pm when I had dinner...I didn't even have a snack. Today I got a peanut butter delite...mmm. The only problem is they are like a little over $5 every day. I'm cheap so I want to buy some protein powder and start making my own shake every day for lunch. I was wondering what are your favorite shake recipes? What kind of protein do you use? Any tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Mikylee_Hintz
    Mikylee_Hintz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use About Time Banana Protein Isolate and EAS soy chocolate protein. I also use PB2 to add different flavors. I mix mine with light vanilla almond milk. I know a lot of people that buy Torani Flavored Syrups and use them in there since they have sugar free options and such.

Top three favorite ones:

Chunky Monkey
    .75 scoop banana
    .25 scoop of chocolate
    with 1.25 cups of Almond Milk

PB Choloate
    1 scoop of chocolate
    1 tbsp of PB4
    1.25 cups of Almond Milk

PB Banana
    1 scoop of banana
    1 tbsp of PB2
    1.25 cups of Almond Milk

You can buy About Time and Torani on Amazon. That is where I get mine.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The best protein out there is usually Whey protein. Though (slightly more) pricy, it is a higher quality protein overall. A 5 lb tub of Optimum Nutrition or Cellucor can be found for something like $58 on Amazon or bodybuilding.com. And 5 pounds is a LOT of protein powder. It lasts my wife and I several months, and we both have protein shakes every day.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I make a berry banana smoothie

Eas - Soy Protein Powder - Vanilla 1 scoop
    1 banana
    1C strawberries
    8 oz Silk Almond Milk - Vanilla Unsweetened
    Yoplait - Greek 100 Calories Blended Blueberry Yogurt, 5.3 oz

458 calories
    34g protein
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of protein powders, but know I should be drinking them because I do not get enough protein in my diet, EVER!

I tried a meal replacement (ViSalus) once and didn't like it. It's still in my cupboard - makes me want to try it again.

Anyone know if it's cool to pre-make the shake in the evening and drink it the next day? I don't see why not, but I'm a little concerned with clumps of gross-ness, lol!

Any veterans wanna help out a newb?
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes for my breakfast! My fave powder is Sun Warrior Blend Vanilla (vegan); my favorite whey protein was Biochem Vanilla ( Iwent vegan due to dairy issues). Pay attention to the ingredients in your powders, alot of them use a bunch of artificial ingredients which turn your "healthy shake" into a dose of chemicals. The 2 brands mentioned above are free of all the crap!

Chocolate Cherry:
    1 scoop vanilla powder
    1 tbls unsweetened cocoa
    1 cup frozen sweet cherries
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk

Chocolate Banana
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 tblsp unsweetened cocoa
    1 tbls PB2
    1 small banana
    1 cup almond milk

Pumpkin spice
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1/2 banana
    1 cup almond milk
    dash of pumpkin pie spice :)

Pina Colada
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 cup almond milk
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup pineapple chunks
    1 tsp coconut extract

The combos are endless, I usually buy vanilla powder and I use unsweetened cocoa powder when I want something chocolate! I also use Silk unsweetened almond milk, it's the nly brand that does not contain carageen. I also like to throw in a tablespoon of ground flax seeds for an extra boost.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use Hemp protein powder I have been very happy with it.
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if it's cool to pre-make the shake in the evening and drink it the next day? I don't see why not, but I'm a little concerned with clumps of gross-ness, lol!

This ^^ has never worked well for me, sorry.....
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love Vega One. You usually have to get it at a Health Food store, but it's worth it. Tastes amazing.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology, and also About Time.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I use a whey protein by Body Fortress in the chocolate peanut butter flavor. I mix it with just water and it provides 30g of protein for only 150 cal. I drink this first thing in the morning around 7am and then eat my "breakfast" at around 10-1030am. I wouldn't say I feel full but I'm not starving before I actually eat any food. Where were you getting this shake? It sounds wonderful!! Mine is not great tasting but I can certainly tolerate it.

Also @acollis1 I normally do make my protein drink the night prior and then give it one final stir in the morning before I drink it. I've found that stirring it as good as I can and then letting it sit over night makes for almost no clumps (I don't have or use a blender).
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I have one go to smoothie recipe and have recently added a second. I have these for dinner a lot of nights, along with some veggies. The calories will depend on what yogurt you choose, how big of a banana you use and what protein powder you pickl. Typically mine are between 300-400 calories, and 40-50 grams of protein.

Chocolate/PB/Banana smoothie

1 cup plain fat free trader joe's or chobani greek yogurt (they have the highest protein count per calorie from what I've seen)
    1 serving chocolate protein powder of your choice
    1 banana
    1 serving of pb2
    water to the consistency you like

And my new one for fall, Pumpkin Pie.

1 cup plain fat free trader joe's or chobani greek yogurt
    1 serving vanilla protein powder of your choice
    80 g pumpkin pie mix (the canned pumpkin that comes sweetened and with spices)
    80 g plain pumpkin
    water to the consistency you like

I'm still working on the sweetness ratio of this one I think I may bump the sweetened pumpkin down to 60 g and up the plain to 100 g.

I typically get designer whey from Trader Joe's, but picked up EAS when I needed vanilla for my new fall smoothie.
  • elle2max
    elle2max Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Syntrax Matrix milk chocolate protein powder. It is whey protein isolate, 23g of protein, and 120 calories per scoop. I drink a protein shake or smoothie every morning, and it usually is always with the chocolate protein powder. If you don't want to commit to buying protein powder in bulk, you can always order samples of different brands and flavors off of various bariatric surgery websites. It really helped me out and saved me a lot of money in the long run.
  • LMBalfour
    LMBalfour Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk brand protein powder. I have a lot of allergies and problems with gluten and dairy and found this is the only one that doesn't make my stomach upset to the point of throwing up. The vanilla is good mixed with fruit! They have tons of flavours...the banana is my favourite as it tastes like banana marshmallow candies.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions everyone! I think I'm going to go with whey protein. I had no problem with milk protein...raised in the dairy state, lol. I also heard good things about it. I'm going to try some different brands and see which one I like...but I have a feeling either way it will be chocolate, lol.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Some good advice already. But the thing that stuck about the OP first post is the over 200 calories for the shake. I rotate my shakes between about 5 different brands and they range from 100 to 160 calories per serving...all give at least 22 grams of protein, but most around 30.

I never mix mine with milk..always water or coffee.

After I have my normal two cups of coffee in the morning, I run another 12 oz thru the coffee pot...so second time. Naturally it isn't as strong as the first batch, then I take that pour it into my protein shaker and stick it in the freezer for about 70 mins. Take it out, put protein power in it and off to the gym. Makes a great workout shake.
  • gagajenks
    gagajenks Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have been thinking about taking a protein shake to add more protein to my diet and not as a meal replacement. I am looking into getting Diet Whey Complex from The Protein Works, and was just wondering if anyone had tried them, or others, and if they got results, found them helpful etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks. :)
  • gagajenks
    gagajenks Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My shake is

choc protein powder
    frozen banana
    can of coconut water
    ice cubes

YUMMO!!!
  • lollyhollypop
    Options
    I try replace at least one meal with one of my nanner shakes, it feels like you are cheating & eating icecream with the frozen banana-noms!

I use:
    BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder - Vanilla Ice Cream OR Choc
    Frozen Banana
    1% Milk or Almond Milk
    Nutribullet (love & use this thing for everything)

Def am going to try a few of the ones posted here, thanks guys
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options

I have been told you should drink the shake within 20 mins of mixing it but i don't know if its true!