Need snack ideas

Options
I have run out of ideas for snacks, especially at bedtime when I want to fill in my remaining calories.

I need: high protein, low fat, low to medium carbs

I already eat: nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, eggs, protein powder, Quest bars

I am not interested in: smoothies

I have no problem with fat or carbs, I just am usually close to my macros, especially the fat macro, by the end of the day and need to fill in.

Any ideas or recipes?

Replies

• cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just taking a couple of tablespoons of your favorite nut butter and making something delicious. I find 2 tablespoons of sunflower or almond butter a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa and a about 10 or so semi sweet chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons of honey usually does the trick for me.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you thinking? I'm partial to a tablespoon of all natural peanut butter and two Ryvita crackers. Other than that, I'd go for some fruit.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Apples with peanut butter/almond butter
    Frozen Grapes
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, but all of your suggestions are high in fat or carbs. I need high protein, low fat ideas.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you thinking? I'm partial to a tablespoon of all natural peanut butter and two Ryvita crackers. Other than that, I'd go for some fruit.

I typically have about 200-300 calories left.
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have run out of ideas for snacks, especially at bedtime when I want to fill in my remaining calories.

I need: high protein, low fat, low to medium carbs

I already eat: nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, eggs, protein powder, Quest bars

I am not interested in: smoothies

I have no problem with fat or carbs, I just am usually close to my macros, especially the fat macro, by the end of the day and need to fill in.

Any ideas or recipes?

Quick grab for me is Quest Bars.... so yummy but VERY low in sugar, NET carbs, low to no fat, high dietary fiber. So many flavors and all are delicious!
  • acollis1
    acollis1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Egg white omlet? that seems to be the only thing you didn't mention you already use. Protein shake is my go to but you said you weren't interested in that......
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    So i make these like banana flapjacks,
    but litterally its just oats and banana,
    add cinnamon or walnuts if thats your thing

but they can be frozen too and are basically really healthy
  • cburke719
    Options
    I would try some of those healthy mutli-grain bars usually found in the cereal aisle. Those run about 180 calories and have good protein. Good Luck!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    low sodium beef jerky!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Louis Kemp crab chunks
    Can of tuna or salmon
    Old Wisconsin turkey bites (but watch the fat on this one)
    Sara Lee Low Sodium deli turkey or ham
    Chicken sausage (some are only 110 calories each)
    Spicy black bean veggie burger with salsa
    Quinoa burgers
    Rotisserie chicken w/skin taken off (so as not to go over on your fat macros)
    Hard boiled egg rolled in some yummy spice
    Cottage cheese
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know how these are for carbs/protein/fat - that's not something I worry about as much. As a rule, I tend to be way over on protein, a little over on fat, and quite a bit under on carbs, so these may be protein/fat heavy.

Emma

8 slices "lite" dry salami - 60 calories. With a medium bell pepper (46 calories) and an ounce of hummus (70 calories) 175 calories total.

1 egg, poached, with 5 water crackers runs about 95 calories.

4 oz of grilled chicken is about 120 calories.

1 oz of cheddar cheese is 110 calories, but not very sustaining.

veggie plate of red bell pepper (46) , 1/2 cucumber (1 c. cucumber coins) (15) and 3 oz. cherry tomatoes (30)
    Splurge 40 calories over for an ounce of hummus (70).

Desserts -
    1 nectarine (124)
    1 apple (85)
    1 cup raspberries (84)
    1 cup blueberries (84)
    1 oz cheddar cheese (110)
    1 oz chevre on 4 water crackers (95)
    2 squares graham cracker w/ 1 Tbs cream cheese (105)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars or Oh Yeah Almond Fudge Brownie bar 190 calories 6 carb and Detour bar 170 calories low sugar 15 protein look in my diary for ideas
  • a1n4t
    Options
    I'd go for speisequark 0% fat (high in protein) with some fruit (medium in carbs) i.e. berries.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Can of tuna/ pot of cottage cheese to hit the protein macro, and then something light in carbs like some crudites/ veg perhaps to go with it. Maybe a chicken drumstick/ thigh or two also for protein too, I typically roast a batch of them, and have them in the fridge for a quick protein hit.
  • Sweetredpoison
    Sweetredpoison Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Someone on this forum once suggested these:

1 small apple, 12 almonds + ice water with lemon
    1 cup baby carrots + 1/4 cup hummus
    1 cup strawberries + low fat/fat free greek yogurt
    1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese + 1/2 cup fresh mandarin oranges
    Hard-boiled egg, sliced, on 1 slice whole-wheat toast with 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • infomancer
    infomancer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried dry roasted edamame? As with many things, it's a matter of personal preference/taste, but I like the texture (very snacky-crunchy) and flavour (kind of nutty). The brand I keep on the kitchen cupboard has 130 calories, 14 g of protein, 8 g of dietary fibre, 10% DRV of iron, and 4 g of fat in a 1/4 C serving. I find them very satisfying when I get to the end of my evening and am still too low on my protein intake.