Need Support that I'm Not Being Selfish

Options
Hello everyone, I am an infrequent poster here, but I would love a little support for a decision I have recently made. I am a Stay at Home Mom to 4 wonderful kids ages 5, 3, 3, and 20 months. My highest weight after my 3 y/o twins were born was 168. I was in the midst of working hard to get back in shape, and had lost about 23 pounds when I found out I was very unexpectedly pregnant with our 4th. Since he was born, I have gotten down to 129 labs. At any rate, with inflating and deflating, and breast feeding, my breasts really went through some abuse. They are not pretty to look at, and they're completely deflated. So, my wonderful husband and I decided that a breast lift and augmentation was the way to go. My surgery is scheduled for Sept. 24th, but I am having immense anxiety, not about the surgery not turning out right, but that I am being selfish in doing something so significant for myself. My husband is very supportive, and tells me I deserve it. I thought a little outside encouragement might be helpful. I have only told my mom, sister, and 2 close friends for fear of being judged.

Replies

• meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    go get those deflated balloons some air lol :laugh:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    if your family is pinching pennies then its probably a little selfish, if not then not, but we dont have enough info to make or break this decision for you. its up to you, do what you want

boobs are awesome tho so theres that
  • JessicaJVRadcliffe
    Options
    With 4 kids we're always pinching a little, but the majority of our money goes to them. We found a way to make it happen without changing much, so finances weren't an issue.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Is it a little bit selfish? Sure it is. Why is that a bad thing? If it makes you feel better, your family is supportive and it's not something that will be a financial detriment, then go for it. And post pics. :flowerforyou:
  • JessicaJVRadcliffe
    Options
    go get those deflated balloons some air lol :laugh:

Right? Haha! Thanks!
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    hardly selfish at all. doing something for yourself to make yourself feel good is necessary!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with being selfish here and there. Even more when it won't harm anyone else. I know plenty of mamas who have naturally fed their babies that have gotten one or really wish they could! You're not alone - do what you feel you need to do!
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think it would be selfish *not* to do this ...
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. I am a stay at home mom to my 6 year old, and sometimes I just need to do something to feel good about myself. If it's affordable to you, and your husband is on board, I say go for it!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Moms are allowed to be a little selish every now and then. happy Mom = happy family.
    And I am SUPER jealous. Currently breastfeeding and I know I'll be so sad when I stop and lose my new, p0rn star boobs. lol.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If Momma aint happy, nobody is happy!!:smile:

After my two kids my breasts weren't deflated, they were large but incredibly saggy so I had breast reduction done. That was nearly 15 years ago and they still look great. Even after losing over 50lbs this year, they're still sittting right where they should be!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If Momma aint happy, nobody is happy!!:smile:

After my two kids my breasts weren't deflated, they were large but incredibly saggy so I had breast reduction done. That was nearly 15 years ago and they still look great. Even after losing over 50lbs this year, they're still sittng right where they should be!
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You deserve to do something for yourself. I say go for it especially if it is not taking away from your other financial responsibilities.:wink:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck three months ago and I felt the same way beforehand, but it was sooooooooo worth it.

You've brought four little people into this world. You deserve something for you (and hubby, too :wink: .) It's okay to be good to yourself like this every once in a while. And it's not selfish to want to feel your best. Trust me, everyone will benefit from your increased confidence.

Best of luck with the surgery and your recovery!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    I will be doing the same thine once I get to a body composition I am happy with. It is a bit selfish, but will improve my self image which will make for a happier momma. A happier momma has more to give to her kids and husband. If it isn't gonna take any essentials away from your family, and is something you truly want, I see no problem with it. You have given soo much to your family, there is no reason why the family can't help give something back to you.
  • JessicaJVRadcliffe
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words! Just what I needed to hear! To Deluxmary: I seriously considered continuing to pump and donate my milk when my youngest was done nursing to keep them nice! It would be a win/win for me and whoever needed it. But alas, my body stopped producing, I guess it "knew" it wasn't really needed for baby anymore.
  • JessicaJVRadcliffe
    Options
    I will be doing the same thine once I get to a body composition I am happy with. It is a bit selfish, but will improve my self image which will make for a happier momma. A happier momma has more to give to her kids and husband. If it isn't gonna take any essentials away from your family, and is something you truly want, I see no problem with it. You have given soo much to your family, there is no reason why the family can't help give something back to you.

Glad to know I'm not alone here! Good luck to you!!!!
  • JessicaJVRadcliffe
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck three months ago and I felt the same way beforehand, but it was sooooooooo worth it.

You've brought four little people into this world. You deserve something for you (and hubby, too :wink: .) It's okay to be good to yourself like this every once in a while. And it's not selfish to want to feel your best. Trust me, everyone will benefit from your increased confidence.

Best of luck with the surgery and your recovery!

Good for you! How has your recovery been? Are you noticing a difference in your confidence?
  • big_soul
    Options
    Late to the game but wanted to chime in to agree! Sure, it's a little selfish - AND THAT'S OKAY!! We so often forget to do things for ourselves, and this sounds like something you will really be happy with. You deserve it, mom! That body brought a bunch of beautiful babies into the world, no reason not to want to change it up a little. So glad to hear your husband is supportive! Lean on that and be excited for the gift you're giving yourself. :) Best of luck to you
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do it! You're worth it! I'm sure you're a wonderful mom to all your children. Treat yourself. :)