Hypothyroid success story...123lbs GONE!!

Options
I thought I'd share my story and a few pics in the hopes that it helps someone! I've been on this journey for 2 years and coming over here and reading others' success stories always helped me to keep going :) (I'll try and make this short and sweet)

Anywho.... my highest weight was 284 and I really had no idea how big I really was. Fat and happy I guess ;) It finally "clicked" on my 28th birthday seeing my kids swimming in the pool and not being able to swim with them since I didn't have a bathing suit that fit. I felt awful that I was missing out on making memories with my babies. I made a goal that I would lose 100lbs by my 30th birthday! I reached my goal this July and am still going!

Total I have lost 123lbs and I feel like a new person. I'm 5'2 and 30 years old w/ 2 young kiddos. I haven't been this small since high school! I do have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis / Hypothyroid and on daily synthroid. I always used that as an excuse as to why I couldn't drop the weight. For me, it was eating right and exercising that worked . I personally like to eat clean and found that I dropped the pounds more easily when I eat that way. I still have 30ish more pounds I'd like to lose, but I have made changes that will last a lifetime. I don't have the patience to figure out how to post pictures in here, but I do have some on my profile. If you're still on your journey....keep going, you CAN do it :)

Replies

• Bellavita2888
    Bellavita2888 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ah-mazing!! Congrats!! inspirational.
  • socialone74
    socialone74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Do you eat soy or do you avoid it? I have Thyroid disease as well (not Hashimoto's) and have heard many conflicting statements on thyroid/soy combination. What combination worked best for you - more protein/less carb, etc...?

Thank you for sharing!
  • bella90422
    bella90422 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Do you eat soy or do you avoid it? I have Thyroid disease as well (not Hashimoto's) and have heard many conflicting statements on thyroid/soy combination. What combination worked best for you - more protein/less carb, etc...?

Thank you for sharing!

I used to eat my fair share of tofu ;) I personally stay away from it, as well as the raw veggies that inflame the thyroid. I have cut down on carbs and eat more protein. In fact, most if not all of my carb intake is from veggies or nuts. I do eat "normal" food, just in moderation and I make sure I stay within my calories! Hope that helps!
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Love to see success stories from those who have conquered a medical obstacle like yours. You're truly inspiring the rest of us to let go of our excuses.
    Your pictures are great, too. You look YEARS younger!!
    Keep up the hard work and keep up with those babies of yours.
    God bless!!
  • socialone74
    socialone74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It does - Thank you!!
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. Congratulations!! I bet you feel great! :smile:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Good work, both on the weight loss and having been given the diagnosis in good time. I am sure that helps, this is not intended to belittle your achievements. The thyroid is problematic for so many. Good work
  • Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    WOW! this is an awesome story. I have Graves/hyperthyroidism and I too take a daily synthroid. I however had the opposit affect of hyperthyroidism and gained 40 pounds in about 5 months and then the radiation treatments cuased even more water retention. I started out at 293 and would like to see the 180's one day, with a loss so far of 77 pounds. So I see that it can be done. I know I will too reach my goal as you did and just wanted to give you a GREAT BIG CONGRATS!
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I used to eat my fair share of tofu ;) I personally stay away from it, as well as the raw veggies that inflame the thyroid. I have cut down on carbs and eat more protein. In fact, most if not all of my carb intake is from veggies or nuts. I do eat "normal" food, just in moderation and I make sure I stay within my calories! Hope that helps!

I was not aware of the veggies that affect the thyroid. I've just been researching online after reading your post and I'm totally shocked. I'm going to cut these out, as well, and see if it helps me.
  • bella90422
    Options
    WOW! this is an awesome story. I have Graves/hyperthyroidism and I too take a daily synthroid. I however had the opposit affect of hyperthyroidism and gained 40 pounds in about 5 months and then the radiation treatments cuased even more water retention. I started out at 293 and would like to see the 180's one day, with a loss so far of 77 pounds. So I see that it can be done. I know I will too reach my goal as you did and just wanted to give you a GREAT BIG CONGRATS!

I'm sorry, that sounds rough :( You are on your way, CONGRATS on your loss!!
  • bella90422
    Options

I was not aware of the veggies that affect the thyroid. I've just been researching online after reading your post and I'm totally
    shocked. I'm going to cut these out, as well, and see if it helps me.

I still eat them....just cooked :) I'm by no means an expert on the subject, just over time have figured what works well for my body and what doesn't.
  • babsfit14
    Options
    Excellent! How wonderful. You should be very proud of your accomplishment. God bless you and your family!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Excellent work. Congrats
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I understand that hard work. I too, am a hypothyroid success story. I lost 110 in a year. I have hypothyroid and type 1 diabetes. That whole metabolic syndrome thing. My pics are in my profile.
  • may2001
    may2001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats:) I am new to hypothyroid world:/ Any tips would be much appreciated. I have about 50lbs to lose. I have no idea where to start. I'm currently on 75mcg levothyroxine. and no energy. I'm ready to get this weight loss journey started. Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Well done honey, all your hard work is paying off! And I bet you have a bathing suit to wear in the pool with your kiddos now, don't you?! xx
  • lilme21baby
    Options
    Congrats x I also have an under active thyroid and take thyroxine daily! I used to use it as an excuse! I'm now 140 pounds lighter and couldn't be happier :) well done xx
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid too and didn't realize it until I had gained 65 lbs in 7 months! Since I can't afford the medication, I'm trying to lose the weight by eating less and exercising daily. Your success is very inspiring to me! It's reassuring to know of someone else with similar struggles overcoming them. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • melnurse1
    Options
    Hello Everyone! What foods do you like to eat that agrees with your thryoid and stomach? What foods do you avoid? For me nuts, broccoli, cabbage, and lots of caffeine do not agree with me. Applesauce and bananas are my go to healthy food. Looking for other great and easy snack foods.
  • mkaylaz
    mkaylaz Posts: 25
    Options
    Wow everyone on this thread is awesome I too have hypothyroidism and I'm at the start of my weight loss journey.
    for some time now I have not touched broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Kale, spinach, bread and strawberries. I find that when i do eat them (especially the strawberry) i feel tired, sluggish, body aches & irritated. Carrots are my go to snack food these days (it used to be chocolate!)
    I look forward to following and hearing of more success stories of people with Hypothyroidism as I look to your stories for motivation!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!