no motivation to exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    The advice that got me moving was:

What did you love to do as a kid? Find a way to do that.

So I began swimming after 30 years. Then I added walking. Now I will be starting free weights.
    Swimming got me back in the habit of exercising again.

Just find something you truly enjoy.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. Go at your usual pace first,then a little faster. Walking helps with relaxing and it can also be a good workout :)

But as I read above,find what you like and then just do it.
  • Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Start with something small, like walking and increase your time and pace. Definitely try to find something that you enjoy or semi-enjoy. Once you start incorporating it into your day, you might enjoy it more than you think! Best of luck!!!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Sometimes the hardest part of exercise is putting your shoes on. Do that first and then just do it. :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    true motivation comes from within-you either want it or you don't!
  • loralye211
    loralye211 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You should find something that you enjoy doing. For me, that means Zumba. It's my main form of cardio, and I love it because it doesn't even feel like a workout.

I suggest trying something other than walking on a treadmill for an hour. There are so many other fun things you can do like cycling outside, swimming, kickboxing, etc.

I know getting started is the hardest part, but you can do it!

I found some fun zumba routines on youtube. A good channel to look up is the one by Lauren Fitz. She mixes some hip hop into zumba moves and it's very fun (just with less of a latin flare). She has a good selection of songs to pick from ("Timber" is a good one). If it's something you like, there are tons of free videos on youtube that you can exercise with without paying money (and do it in your own home).
  • Choboman
    Choboman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else who's said that you should find something that you enjoy. But one thing I'd add is that, if possible, you should find something that's also in some way social. Find a group that likes to walk together, or take dance classes with friends, or whatever. If you're with people you get along with the time will feel more fulfilling and you're less likely to make excuses and miss a session if you know someone is expecting you there.
  • Snugglebunny217
    Options
    So don't. Don't make it into a chore or something you "have" to do. Unless and until you are excited about something "oh my gosh, I'm so looking forward to seeing this waterfall everyone talks about at the end of this hike. I heard it's beautiful." or "I haven't gone rollerskating in ages. This is going to be so much fun!" don't bother. As you get slowly more active, "exercising" will become easier and more rewarding.

Sustainable changes happen one day, one habit at a time. No reason to rush things :-)
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    After losing about close to 40 pounds a couple years ago now, I fell heavy into training, sometimes it's a lot of cardio and lately it's been weight training.

The toughest part many of times was going after an 8 hour shift at work, or upon waking up on my days off of work. Preworkout sups ARE NOT for everybody, but I do like them myself. So what I would do is immediately take a serving of pre workout juice/powder upon waking or jumping into my car after work and once you drink it there's no turning back. It must be done now! that or I sit and fidget.

Hope you find something that works for you. once you start seeing positive results, a brilliant surge of motivation will naturally began.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Oops, double post!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    When I'm not motivated to work out, I get naked and look in the mirror! Yup, that's what works for me...
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    For the unmotivated to exercise: here's a true story. I hope it motivates you.
    Several years back when I was 18 before starting my first year of college. I decided to make a change. Honestly I don't remember what precipitated this. I just started going out and walking a couple miles a day. I was 188 pounds at 5'2. As weight came off me, my walks became easier, and at the time, we had a membership to YMCA so I went there too, to cross train. I got to know lots of people there and looked forward to coming into the gym and greeting everybody everyday.
    One summer day the gym was closed. At that point I had lost about 40 lbs and I was really bored of walking (too easy, needed more of a challenge). So I just ran that day. I didn't know how long I ran at first. I decided to do the route I normally did walking twice. I found out after that my very FIRST run ever was five miles. It was easy. I was like "look what my body can do. I rock. I can kick @$$" and I can. I went on to do the tufts 10k for women, then several half marathons for charity, then my first marathon was new York city. Ill never forget at 20 miles how I hit the wall hard, tired and unable to move, but a man leapt out from the crowd and said "I've been there--but you worked hard for this--keep running! You can do it!" I was the little engine that could--"i think i can, i think i can---i KNOW I CAN, I KNOW I CAN."One hour later, in central park, I cried as a lady put my finishers medal around my neck. I went on to do the Chicago, new York again, then Boston marathon. I also did Honolulu a few times and San Diego rock n roll. I'm doing my 8th next year. I know now I can do anything I put my mind to. You can too. Head into that gym or out for a walk or whatever you feel comfortable doing g to move your body. You never know what may come of it. It is an awesome, inspiring feeling. I workout 6 days a week. I cannot imagine not wanting to or making some sort of excuse not to move my body. It might be hard for you at first, but after a while it feels wonderful.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think everyone can relate to the struggle of finding motivation to exercise!

I treat exercise like other people who have posted: I don't have a choice, I have to exercise!

This mentality definitely works for me. I work 9am-5pm in an office. I workout from 6-7pm each night...sometimes until 8pm!

I found something I love: Zumba!!!!

Zumba doesn't feel like exercise. Sure, it's tiring...but it's fun! :)

I just treat Zumba like an extension of my work day. It's just something I "have to do."

Good luck, putting your sneakers on is the first step to success!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You know what, without reading what everyone else has said, I'm going to say: you'll get there when you get there. For now, if you can get your eating under control and you're being successful with your goals in that area, that is AWESOME. Sometimes, I don't want to work out for weeks at a time, and I just focus on staying under my calorie limit and that's it. And -- I think that's okay. Not all of us are instant athletes, or constant athletes. There are times when I love working out, I'm in a groove and a routine, and I work out hard and often and consistently. But -- I can't always maintain it. It happens! Just try to make a plan for beginning to work out at SOME point, and you will get there if you're motivated enough.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Never take your physical capabilities for granted. There are a lot of people out there who are physically unable to exercise – if you are not one of these people, you should be out there moving and appreciate every minute of it.
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    About a 10 second look in the mirror should be enough. That's what it took for me years back. Sure you don't need to exercise at all to lose weight. But without exercise, you will over time and age is no friend here develop bat wings. You know the floppy skin on your underarms that just hang there when you raise your arms. Or the ole skin kind of wrinkled above the knee cap due to no quad toning. Or the cottage cheese look in the glute area. It is nice and healthy to lose weight without exercise, but I prefer not allowing my skin to flop in the wind. Good luck.
  • hunsford
    hunsford Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Pact. It offers small monetary rewards for working out, but more important (for me, at least), it penalizes you when you don't work out as often as you promise. You can set your own penalty to be large enough to motivate you. Right now, I promise to work out five times per week. My penalty is only $5, but if I ever start to think, "It's only five bucks. Screw it, I'm not working out tonight," I can increase it as much as I want. You need an iOS or Android phone to use it.

I hate losing money, so it's been effective for me. I've been using it for three months. If it can keep me motivated for a whole year, then I'll be impressed.