Working out 5-6 days a week, have you.......

Options
noticed you been more tired, or have more energy??

i just started insanity 9/01. When i did it before, i felt like i had more energy. This time around, im feeling EXTRA tired! Prior to Insanity, i was walking/jogging 4/5 days a week but wasn't tired as i am now!

Has anyone felt like that while working out vigorously? If so, any pointers to get more energy?

oh, a little background. I'm 26, I work 40 hrs a week (desk job) and sleep about 6-7 hrs a night. That's my norm! I wake up at 5:40 am, work out by 6 am, then head to work around 745 am. out by 5 pm, cook, clean then in bed by 1030/11. This has been my schedule for a while now. Only thing that changed is, Insanity in the morning rather then walking after work BUT when i did Insanity last time, i also did it in the morning! So IDK!!

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You aren't giving your body enough rest. And it's letting you know it.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. I checked your diary for the past week and 6/7 days you left well over 20% of your calories uneaten. 500 calories left was not uncommon, and I even saw one day where you had 700+ left.

If you're going to push yourself, you better fuel your body so it can do what you're asking of it.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Also beside not enough calories,you need to concentrate on adding more protein
  • fivethreeone
    Options

this too, although that's more for body composition, rather than energy.
  • lysolgirl
    lysolgirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    have some fruittttttttttttttttt!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Why do you see the need to workout so much? You can't out exercise a bad diet, so if you need to be in the gym working that hard 5-6 days a week then that's a problem

Typically I'll workout Monday through Friday, MWF being my strong lifts days with light 15-20min cardio after, then Tues/Thurs being optional days where I do 45min to an hour of cardio max, or take the day off depending on how I'm feeling. Saterday and Sunday I don't typically workout unless I missed a day of heavy lifting during the week.

I always want at least 2 days of rest per week and if needed I'll take 4 rest days, I recommend that you listen to your body and give it time to rest when it needs it. Watch your diet, there's no need to become a gym rat to get the results you want.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. I checked your diary for the past week and 6/7 days you left well over 20% of your calories uneaten. 500 calories left was not uncommon, and I even saw one day where you had 700+ left.

If you're going to push yourself, you better fuel your body so it can do what you're asking of it.

^ this. I started doing insanity on 1300 cals and was so tired and dizzy all the time. Upped my cals and all of that went away. It was still a tough workout but I had the energy to push through!
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Why do you see the need to workout so much? You can't out exercise a bad diet, so if you need to be in the gym working that hard 5-6 days a week then that's a problem

Typically I'll workout Monday through Friday, MWF being my strong lifts days with light 15-20min cardio after, then Tues/Thurs being optional days where I do 45min to an hour of cardio max, or take the day off depending on how I'm feeling. Saterday and Sunday I don't typically workout unless I missed a day of heavy lifting during the week.

I always want at least 2 days of rest per week and if needed I'll take 4 rest days, I recommend that you listen to your body and give it time to rest when it needs it. Watch your diet, there's no need to become a gym rat to get the results you want.

^^^^^What he said!
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

^^^ I totally agree with this.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a fantastic workout -- but you need to refuel, not just lose those calories. You need to be eating enough to sustain that energy level.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sleep more or eat more or balance out your life more (ie social life and hobbies that dont involve working out)
  • Fat2Fit_imready
    Fat2Fit_imready Posts: 363 Member
    Options

It shauns - t insanity program. Its Mo-Sa. I do sat work outs on thur (double up) , then i walk on sat!
  • Fat2Fit_imready
    Options
    To the people who said im not eating enough (to many to quote lol).... How much should i be eating?? I willing to try anything because i believe in trial and error and what works best!
  • Fat2Fit_imready
    Options

so should i be eating BACK my calories being burned or just eat more?
  • fivethreeone
    Options

Eating back burned calories. At least 50% of them.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I looked at the diary--not enough protein
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    6-7 hours sleep a night isn't enough for a lightly active person let alone someone exercising 5-6 days a week. You're gonna need 8-9 to help your body recover.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

I looked at the diary--not enough protein

Of course her protein is low--her everything is low! She's not eating enough. To sustain LBM and improve body composition, more protein is definitely a plus.

However, the OP's concern is energy. Protein isn't a primary source of energy, so your suggestion is at best tangential to the point at hand.
  • Kaelakcr
    Kaelakcr Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr

And then go here: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

I found out today that MFP severely underestimates the amount you should be eating. This website has been recommended to me by multiple people as being much more accurate. Additionally, this will help you get the correct "macros" (protein/carbs/fat/fiber) that you need to support your body. :)
  • Fat2Fit_imready
    Options

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr

And then go here: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

I found out today that MFP severely underestimates the amount you should be eating. This website has been recommended to me by multiple people as being much more accurate. Additionally, this will help you get the correct "macros" (protein/carbs/fat/fiber) that you need to support your body. :)

wow thank you... it says

My BMR is: 1555

MY TDEE is: 2342

it loss weight, they want me at 1874

I THINK i did it right lol!

5'3

26 years old