will my new life style work ?

Okay so heres my meals
Breakfast: have 2 eggs lightly fried in olive oil with some raw veggie(usually broccoli and cauliflower and a slice of whole grain toast with a little honey

Lunch:i usually eat some cereal like cherrios and mabey some fruit

Dinner:i have about a cup of brown rice and a piece of chicken breast(grilled)

Exercise:i work out at least 3-4 days of the week for 60-90 mins lifting weights and i do at least 40 mins of cardio 5 days a week
Am i eating to much carbs?
I have already lost about 15 pounds in 3 weeks but will it work in the long term ?

Replies

• Forgot to mention my dinner also has raw veggies
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    if it is working so far I say keep it up :)
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    15 lbs in 3 weeks is a LOT ....I'd say its possible you're eating too little. But my initial thought was that if you eat the same thing every day, you're going to get bored quick.

Also, raw veggies are great but from that description, you really need more protein on a daily basis.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    That does not sound like enough food or sustainable. How many calories are you eating?
  • Idk but i feel good
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    15 lbs in 3 weeks is a LOT ....I'd say its possible you're eating too little. But my initial thought was that if you eat the same thing every day, you're going to get bored quick.

Also, raw veggies are great but from that description, you really need more protein on a daily basis.

^^ This...As an 18 yo male, you're eating far too little and defintely not enough protein, especially if you're lifting regularly.

What is your current weight and height and what are your goals?
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member

Seconded. You need to fuel your workouts and also need protein for muscle retention. At the end of the day, could you eat and work out like this for the rest of your life? If not, then you need to make adjustments IMHO.
  • what protein rich foods would you recommend? And i think i lost 15 fast because i started really heavy at 303 llbs
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

This!^

Protein is waaay more important than carbs. I get my protein, then I get my fat.....what's leftover is carbs (no medical issues for me).

A "lifestyle" is something you plan on continuing for years to come. Are you prepared to be low carb during maintenance too? Moderate weight loss helps you ease into maintenance. Very low calories while dieting & then moving to maintenance will make maintenance look like a free-for-all.
  • Was 286 this morning am about 6 feet tall but i feel full of energy lol but i understand it could only be for the short term which is why im asking
  • So my diet is low carb? I thought i was eating alot of carbs
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    By "lifestyle" do you mean you're going to eat like this forever? Because I would probably hang myself from a lamppost before I'd commit to eating the same (more or less) thing like your menu plan every day.

Maybe you could explore broadening your choices of food a little bit so as to throw a little variety in there. Spice of life and all that.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    It doesn't seem low or particularly high carb to me...It seems like a starvation diet, TBH. At 286 lbs, male, regularly exercising, you need MUCH more food than what you've described.
  • TeaBea
    Was 286 this morning am about 6 feet tall but i feel full of energy lol but i understand it could only be for the short term which is why im asking

286 male - 6' tall....let's assume you're 20 years old and workout 3 times a week. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is 3,229 calories.

Using above example: You can eat 3,229 calories & maintain your weight. To lose 1.5 pounds a week.....subtract 750 and you get 2,479 calories. Subtract 1,000 for 2 pounds a week (if your more than 75 pounds overweight)....2,229.

Are you eating anywhere near this?

To get numbers based upon your age and exercise level...........
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • One of the main reasons im eating like this is cause its cheap and im a broke full time college student do you have any tips?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    So using an online calculator - an average 18 yo male that is 6'0, 286 that exercises 3x per week will burn 3200 calories per day.

Naturally, this is just an estimate based on population averages, but it gives you a starting point.

With quite a bit of weight to lose, a reasonable weight loss goal would be 2 lbs per week, which calculates out to a 1,000 calorie per day deficit.

So you should be aiming to consume about 2200 calories per day.

What you have posted is probably half of that...you need to eat more, and as everyone has said, definitely more protein. Add some meat to your lunch...have a larger portion of meat at dinner. Add some protein-rich snacks (greek yogurt) or maybe supplement with a protein shake or bar if that's your thing.
  • TeaBea
    One of the main reasons im eating like this is cause its cheap and im a broke full time college student do you have any tips?

Diary / canned tuna / beans / lentils are inexpensive protein sources.

Peanut butter has lots of healthy fats and some protein.

Swap out cheerios for Special K (original) ......or Kashi Go Lean.
  • O wow how can i forget about these things i was thinking i can add these sort of as snacks in between my meals like mini meals ? and also will old fashion oatmeal due to replace the cherrios
  • TeaBea
    O wow how can i forget about these things i was thinking i can add these sort of as snacks in between my meals like mini meals ? and also will old fashion oatmeal due to replace the cherrios

Cheerios vs. oatmeal......about the same for protein and fiber. Plus I assume you are adding milk to cheerios.....this gives you a loss of protein unless you add the same amount of milk to your oatmeal.

Meal timing doesn't matter for weight loss.2 meals....6 meals.....whatever. Just try to meet calories....and macros (protein, fat....carbs).