Buying too-small clothing for motivation

Options
I bought some really nice new jeans today that are a size too small. I'm hoping it will motivate me to lose that weight quick! Does anyone else buy clothes before they can fit into them? Prom dress maybe? Wedding gown? Does it help motivate you?

Replies

• Glakhmed
    Glakhmed Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a few shirts that are a size too small. I told myself the same thing that it might motivate me to fit in them quicker, but all it's really done is make me aware of just how big my belly is.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I tried it once with jeans (during my first go-round with weight loss) and they never fit me! They just ended up being the wrong cut, and went from not fitting to being too large. Because you know where you'll lose weight and when, I often find that it's an expensive and often wasteful form of motivation.

Instead, I keep a pinterest board full of clothes I want to wear when I'm smaller, as well as fitness motivation. I even have some pictures on my fridge of lingerie I want to be able to wear for an extra bang.

It's hard to sneak a cookie when you're staring at a Victoria Secret angel.

S'all I'm sayin' C:
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a brand of jeans i wear and when i get close, but not quite there, I will buy the next size down (usually its cause there is a good sale going on), that way I have them when I need them. I have bought clothes that were a smidge too tight at the end of season clearance for the next year, and so far that is working for me, but I did not do that till I got closer to goal and realized my body type (i don't have a bunch left to lose on my torso, but my legs and butt have a bunch left to lose). I would not invest much money in to smaller clothes, nor would i buy a bunch of it...but i did enjoy shopping the clearance racks for the next year, when I knew it would fit perfect. As far as a really nice outfit in the 'size' I want to end up, no I would not do that...too much pressure? Baby steps is how I operate :)
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I ordered a pair of jeans about three months ago. Normally I'm a 10-12 (UK) and they were bootcut so I ordered a 12 THEY DIDN'T EVEN PULL UP!!!!!

I refused to send them back for a 14 and they are in my drawer with the tags still on, I will wear them!
  • SkinnyMarni3
    SkinnyMarni3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've done it before and I could wear them a little after :) But they were just a little snug!
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of jeans one size too small and hung them in the middle of the closet where I saw them every day. Once a week I tried them on and watched the muffin top get smaller and smaller until they fit. Then I donated the larger pair, wore the smaller ones, and bought another pair that was 1 size too small and repeated the process.

If you're going to go through a lot of sizes I suggest checking out the jeans at Goodwill. They're still usually in great shape and they are CHEAP. Makes doing that over and over again a lot more affordable. Then buy the new or expensive stuff at your goal size. I did that until I got down to a size 6. Now I only have another 5-10 pounds to go and I'm not sure if it will be another size or not so I've been trying the size 4s on in the store every couple of weeks instead but I have to admit it's a little less fun/motivating than if they are hanging in the closet.
  • LiveWellWyoming
    LiveWellWyoming Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've tried to motivate myself by buying smaller clothes in the past, but it never worked. By the time I lose enough weight to fit into them, I want to buy new skinny clothes.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i've bought some shirts that are too small because they are cute and I know i will fit in to them eventually. its not motivation though. and its not to lose weight quick. lol
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I feel like this would have the opposite effect on me. It would take too long to lose enough weight to fit in them, so I'd end up giving up. But that's just me.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm in between sizes right now so I do all of my clothes shopping at thrift stores. The one I go to unfortunately doesn't have a dressing room available, so I can't try on any pants. I just buy things in the size I think I wear and then bring them home. Voila - some fit, some don't. Those are my "smaller" clothes, even though it says it's the same size I wear now. That's how I know I've lost weight - when those "too small" pants fit.
  • ThinEdielynne
    Options
    Yea I agree with not buying many sizes down. I bought two size zero jeans and I could zip them up but they were a bit too tight to wear practically. I really hope I'll be able to wear them out in a couple months! I'm also getting married soon so I may buy a size down if it's "snug" but not two sizes too small.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yea I agree with not buying many sizes down. I bought two size zero jeans and I could zip them up but they were a bit too tight to wear practically. I really hope I'll be able to wear them out in a couple months! I'm also getting married soon so I may buy a size down if it's "snug" but not two sizes too small.

Don't do that.
    Base your purchase on the advice of the salesgirls, they know their business. Usually they'll have you order a size up, and they'll tailor it down if you need it closer to your actual wedding to ensure a custom fit.
  • walkingDeadDenise
    Options
    I have a few shirts that are a size too small. I told myself the same thing that it might motivate me to fit in them quicker, but all it's really done is make me aware of just how big my belly is.

This. i have 3 bins of clothes divided by what weight i was when the clothes fit. I am hoping to get down to that last bin by the end of the year. I don't care if the clothes are out of style, i'm gonna wear them!!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I don't do it as it just gets me down seeing how much more I need to lose. Instead I am using getting to buy new clothing as motivation. Every time a pair of pants or shirt out grows me, I get a new one of that item. Nothing expensive, I am saving the super shopping trip for when I go back to work in August and am (hopefully) down to goal weight.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

OP, your profile states you're 5'6".
    And your ticker shows you want to be 95lbs.

I suggest instead of shopping for size whatever pants, you seek counseling. Your current weight is already very low for your height
  • brendamcclurkin
    Options
    I started loosing weight in the spring. I had not been feeling well and knew I needed to change. The straw that finally broke the camel's back came when my local store had just gotten in swimsuits for the summer and I found one I loved but the largest size they carried was still one size too small for me. I bought it and worked until I could get in it! It definitely provided inspiration in my case.
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel like this would have the opposite effect on me. It would take too long to lose enough weight to fit in them, so I'd end up giving up. But that's just me.
    Same with me. Plus, I have a whole wardrobe full of clothes that are a little bit too snug; I don't need to buy yet another constant reminder of my failure at self-discipline.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm a shoppaholic - I have plenty of clothes in sizes 16 - 26. I'm now a 22-24. I have been buying 18/20 size exercise clothes so that I won't feel like my clothes will fall off as I'm exercising. ... You never know when that might happen. I'm being optimistic by thinking so far ahead. :)
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    the better question to ask is when does one give up the clothes that no longer fit. I admit it. I worry that I will lose, and then gain. It's the cycle I've had since I was a young teen. Im used to diets. and, I'm used to diets failing. I keep saying to myself that this is a life-style change now and this time I can make the results last. Yet, I am still hesitant to pack up the clothes I'm shrinking out of... and I'm hesitant to give them away.

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who's shrinking too, who'd like some cute size 26 clothes though. I know that if I was giving it to someone I knew, I'd be more likely to let them go quicker.

Shame all my RL friends are so skinny.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    i've bought some shirts that are too small because they are cute and I know i will fit in to them eventually. its not motivation though. and its not to lose weight quick. lol

yeah...I have done the same. Usually just in cases where it's on sale very cheap/clearance, or in a thrift store type situation where I can't come back later and get it...and again, cheap! This happens a lot with exercise type shorts/pants...I won't spend $50 on a high end pair but if I find them in a stretchy medium I'll buy them and wear them knowing that I really need a large...eventually they fit, and I only paid $5 so I'm happy.

Mostly OP, doing this has backfired on me when it comes to dresses, jeans, pants, and tops. Like a couple of others mentioned...I've bought things in a smaller size, and they never quite fit because I quickly went PAST that size to a different one, or lost weight in spots I didn't really anticipate so the overall effect when I was smaller wasn't the ideal one.

I personally just really like going out and buying clothes for now, knowing I'll wear and enjoy them for awhile before they have to be sold or donated :-)

As for buying & using smaller stuff as motivation - that doesn't really work for me. Just like I would never feel one bit motivated by a photo of a fitter or thinner model/person. That just isn't how my mind works, but I know it works great for some people!