Best option for Jillian's 30 day shred

Options
Hi everyone,

Pretty new on MFP. I did the 30DS program last year for the very first time. I saw GREAT results doing each level 10 days. I then followed with the 90 day body revolution and was incredibly impressed with the results.

For various reasons, I stopped exercising for the past year (a lot of work travel involved) but I started a month ago with the 90 day body revolution. I completed my first month and when I tried going into month two, I felt I was not ready and instead of half assing the exercises I decided to take a "break" from that program and started the 30DS on Monday in order to build strength during the next 30 days to then continue with the rest of Body Revolution.

My question is how do you guys follow the 30DS? I am battling the teachings of all my previous trainers who have told me that muscles should rest at the very least 24 hrs before you exercise them again. This program has you doing the same muscles every day for 10 days.

I did level 1 on Monday and level 2 yesterday. I am planning on doing level 3 today (Wednesday) to then start with level 1 on Thursday and so on, resting on Sunday only.

Thoughts?

Replies

• JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Alternating the 30DS workouts would definitely break up the monotony.

With BR I got up to week 7/8 when I felt it had escalated beyond my ability, and I restarted back at week 1. That's also when I started up a C25K program on the cardio days (as I'd come to loathe those cardio DVDs). I'm back to week 7/8 again, and it's still a rough transition, though better than last time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Actually, Jillian has been quoted saying that she never intended the 30DS to be done for 30 days straight with no rest. It's only a 20 minute workout, so I suppose it possible, but I never did it that way - if you go hard on the days you do it, even 20 minutes can be pretty intense and warrant a rest, or at least a different workout every other day.

Like JenSD6 (whoa - SD6? Alias flashbacks! :tongue: ) - I broke up the monotony and gave my muscles a break by mixing thing up with other workouts in between days, and always took (still do) at least one day off per week.
  • Justarcy
    Justarcy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was at a total loss of what to do today so I skipped lol

The conundrum continues however. To do 1,2,3 - 1,2,3 then rest one day (I can do the 6 days with my rest day being on Sunday). Or do lv 1 for 2 days, cardio wednesday and then lv1 three days?

BTW what cool short 20/30 min cardio do you guys recommend?
  • Soapytime
    Soapytime Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty out of shape in addition to being overweight but I am still attempting the 30 day shred. It kicks my but pretty hard. I am doing c25k on Saturday, Monday, and Wednesday. I am doing the 30 day shred Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Friday is my rest day for exercise. I need the recovery. I still plan on doing level one , two, and three for their respective 10 days, just not consecutive. So yeah, I won't be done in 30 days flat, but I will still have devoted 30 days to the program.
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Personally, I opt for 4-5 days/week doing 30DS (if I skip a day during the week, I do a workout on the weekend). I also try to walk plenty during the week. I just restarted the DVD after a few weeks of very minimal exercise. Day 3 and I'm pretty sore. I prefer to do Level one for 10 days (not straight in a row, taking 2 days off per week.....so days of Week one takes 2 weeks). Same with Level 2 and 3.

Just my way....I think everyone is different. Some get bored more easily and some like routine. I think you have to do what works for you.
  • Justarcy
    Options
    Personally, I opt for 4-5 days/week doing 30DS (if I skip a day during the week, I do a workout on the weekend). I also try to walk plenty during the week. I just restarted the DVD after a few weeks of very minimal exercise. Day 3 and I'm pretty sore. I prefer to do Level one for 10 days (not straight in a row, taking 2 days off per week.....so days of Week one takes 2 weeks). Same with Level 2 and 3.

Just my way....I think everyone is different. Some get bored more easily and some like routine. I think you have to do what works for you.

I agree 100%, everyone is different and what can work for one person will not always work for another physically and mentally.

Exercise and me are like oil and water, we just don't mix lmao. That being said, I am very determined, once I start something, I have to see it through (that is also a bit of the OCD part of me lol). I saw amazing results last time I did these vids and hence why I am doing them again.

I consider myself fairly slim with the my back and mid section being my problem areas. I don't believe in weighing myself much because during my last 30DS and the Body Revolution stint, I actually gained weight (muscle) but lost quite a few inches. This time seems to be no different. I started weighing 54.4 kilos (120lbs) and I am at 55 today (121lbs). My big mistake was not measuring myself last month when I started with BR (doing that today though).

I live on a permanent sore basis. Jillian kicks my butt every day and keeps me in pain. I highly dislike feeling pain BUT boy do I love the results. Another thing is that it is also a way of me knowing that I am doing the exercises properly.

Do you guys have a home cardio vid that you would recommend? My endurance is absolute crap when it comes to cardio lol

Back to my original question though, has anyone tried doing levels 1, 2 & 3 (one each day) that can shed some light and the results they obtained?
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I agree, Jillian's videos are rough...lol
    But they work for me. Not as much as weight loss, but my overall endurance has improved significantly. I usually exercise 6 days per week, with one rest day whenever I feel that the pain is getting too much in one muscle group.
    I recently did one month of switching between several of Jillian's video workouts, and then started on 30 DS. I stuck with it for 30 days. I also took rest days, as Jillian does a lot of upper body work, which is rough on my rotator cuffs. There are only so many pushups that I can do every day...
    I did not jump between levels, though, but I used different dumbbells on the exercises. I have used anything from 5 to 12 lbs, and I have tried not to modify the strength circuits. I did, however, modify the cardio segments to lower impact moves. Due to the higher weights and deep lunges and squats, my muscles were just too tight to go right into high impact jumps. I didn't want to take the risk of an injury.
    This didn't make the workout any less intense, though. I got to work some muscles that I usually don't isolate, and I have greater endurance now, that I'm back to regular lifting.

To your question about cardio....try Jillian's Cardio Kickboxing. There is one free on youtube, and it's a good 20 minutes of agony....you will probably like it.... :laugh:
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    OP, never tried alternating days with it like you're asking, always did between 6-10 days of each level, usually 5 times a week. I imagine it would give you great results too, but I know personally, when i first did it - i would NOT have been able to do all of level 2, or most of level 3, without the strength i built up during the previous levels - there's so much plank position in level 3 and i just would not have had the strength to do it with good form for the whole duration without the endurance i built up in the days of level 1 and 3 before it.

So in a nutshell - if you have the strength to do the moves in all 3 levels now with good form, then do them in whatever order you like - Jillian does say each level makes a good standalone workout too, and even though i'm not doing 30DS now, i still mix up my routine by picking a level and doing it as a one off workout now and then.
  • Justarcy
    Options
    To your question about cardio....try Jillian's Cardio Kickboxing. There is one free on youtube, and it's a good 20 minutes of agony....you will probably like it.... :laugh:

Thanks or the recommendation. I will definitely try it! :happy:
    OP, never tried alternating days with it like you're asking, always did between 6-10 days of each level, usually 5 times a week. I imagine it would give you great results too, but I know personally, when i first did it - i would NOT have been able to do all of level 2, or most of level 3, without the strength i built up during the previous levels - there's so much plank position in level 3 and i just would not have had the strength to do it with good form for the whole duration without the endurance i built up in the days of level 1 and 3 before it.

So in a nutshell - if you have the strength to do the moves in all 3 levels now with good form, then do them in whatever order you like - Jillian does say each level makes a good standalone workout too, and even though i'm not doing 30DS now, i still mix up my routine by picking a level and doing it as a one off workout now and then.

Thanks @redpandora56, you definitely helped me decide what path to take.

I had forgotten about the planks on level 3 which is why I took a break from weeks 4 & 5 from Body Revolution. She starts week 4 (BR) with a push-up/plank/twist and I am SOOOO not up to that level lol. This was the reason why I decided to take a 'step back' and do 30DS. I am a whimp when it comes to strength and endurance.

Level 1 is tough but level 2 kicks my butt. I am able to do them with good form going back and forth between Anita and Natalie. I'll alternate between levels 1 and 2 for the first 20 days and hopefully my upper body strength increases by the time I reach level 3 towards the end of the month.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I did the shred the first time (out of shape), I did 3 days shred, 1 rest day, 3 days shred, 1 rest day, etc and did each level 10 times before moving on. I found that while my endurance increased for that specific workout, it didn't seem to carry over to anything else. I did it a second time when I was more fit and alternated it with other workouts. Two days shred, 1 day hiking plus ab workout plus weights, two days shred, 1 day yoga, rest day. This schedule seemed to build my overall fitness and strength more than just doing the shred alone. I guess it kind of depends what your goals are.
  • Justarcy
    Options
    When I did the shred the first time (out of shape), I did 3 days shred, 1 rest day, 3 days shred, 1 rest day, etc and did each level 10 times before moving on. I found that while my endurance increased for that specific workout, it didn't seem to carry over to anything else. I did it a second time when I was more fit and alternated it with other workouts. Two days shred, 1 day hiking plus ab workout plus weights, two days shred, 1 day yoga, rest day. This schedule seemed to build my overall fitness and strength more than just doing the shred alone. I guess it kind of depends what your goals are.

Goal is to loose back and mid section fat and get rid of my jello flabby arms and legs. I REALLY need to tone up and loose a couple of extra kilos a long the way.