Prevent Cable Company F**kery

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
battle1.png

Please excuse the vulgar language in the title, but this is very important. The title was taken from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU

Everyone should watch this, and I mean EVERYONE. Why? The cable companies of the USA are trying to force a bill through that will make tech companies, the providers of information on the internet, to pay a fee to have higher data speeds on the internet. Why is this bad? Well, John Oliver in the linkde video explains it better than anyone else.

Also, for more information to help prevent the internet from forever being destroyed, you can go here:

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Seriously. If you like the internet, please watch this, or placews like MFP may eventually die.

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    even if we watch, how will it help destroy their plans? I have read about this, but have not seen any petitions.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    even if we watch, how will it help destroy their plans? I have read about this, but have not seen any petitions.

a) There is a link on the government website specificly for the public to make comments directly to the governemtn regarding this bill.

FCC.GOV/COMMENTS

b) Go to the secondlink I posted.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Don't have cable, so they can do all the f***kery they want. Won't affect me. Thank you, small town telephone company DSL.

Twinkie, it's recommended you contact your rep in Congress and contact the FCC. I'm sure that battleforthenet site has contact info
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Don't have cable, so they can do all the f***kery they want. Won't affect me. Thank you, small town telephone company DSL.

Twinkie, it's recommended you contact your rep in Congress and contact the FCC. I'm sure that battleforthenet site has contact info

It can and will effect you because the information you receive may still travel through their servers.

On top of that, the millions upon millions of cable customers will have slower access to the smaller and starup tech providers. If they are forced to pay money to to able to bring their services to those millions of potential consumers, they will have less money, won't be able to afford it, their services won't get sold as often and they may and will go under. boom. You are now effected.

Netflix will probably get more expensive.

Products on Amazon may get more expensive.

MFP and other free sites may become subscription services, just so they can pay the fees.

It will effect you.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    bump
  • chivalryder
    Options
    bump?
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Signed the petition earlier today.
    Bumping because this can and will affect every single person and their use of the internet.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    bump