Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    yay. Don't live your life in fear.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I do everything alone, too. I recently decided I wouldn't want it any other way. Just let them know where you'll be and a time they can expect you back.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I like alone time,so I go on hikes a lot by myself.

My husband and I have a dry erase board in the laundry room, so I jot down where I'm going and the time I left when I leave.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Only in the daytime and if there are a good amount of others using it too.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    I go by myself most of the time. I carry my phone (which is an iphone so it is my music and runkeeper program)... I have however taken 2 self defense courses and try to stay alert to my surroundings, which is the best I can do. :happy:

If you are comfortable, go for it! (carry mace if you must :laugh: )

This, and let someone know what you are doing, so if you don't show up for work/class, someone knows. And vary your route. Take care
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I worry about dogs more than anything.

People seem to think that going to a public park that requires animals to be leashed by law (which ironically has a separate dog part attached for this very purpose) is a free ticket to let them run free and chase runners for fun.

:mad:
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado and hike and even backpack in the backcountry by myself all the time.

Just make sure to let someone know where you're going and when you expect to return so if you come up missing they'll know where to look.

THIS... I live in CO as well. It is always good to pack some heat for any wild animals or people.:devil:
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I live in Vermont and always hike alone. I don't let fear keep me inside, however, I'm always aware of others on the trail, which is very rare, unless it's near a tourist town. I know some women bring pepper spray, I've been meaning to get some, more for potential bears on the move this time of year. A whistle is another good thing to wear, again, something I've been meaning to get. But my husband is concerned that it could be dangerous, more if I have an accident than anything else. I always have a map, know the trails I want to be on and bring a backpack with enough water and food and safety supplies. If you live in a populated area and many use the trails then I, personally, would not go the same route, the same time everyday. But that's just me. I would also bring a cell phone, lol, something I don't even own. I know, I know, I'm probably the last person on earth who doesn't own one. Do it, just be aware of your surroundings and the people you pass. Enjoy!
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Of course, we're always safer with a buddy. It sounds like you aren't too concerned about getting lost/hurting yourself on the terrain, which is great!

There are other concerns, though. I don't know where you live, but where I am coyotes, mountain lions, and bears can be an issue. I will NOT go on a trail alone without pepper spray. Even on paved paths, I'll keep a standard mace on me because... like it or not, there are some crummy folks out there. Best to be safe.

If wildlife is a concern, do your research. How do the wildlife in your area behave? How should you react if you encounter something? Are there precautions you can take to scare them off, or to protect yourself in a surprise situation? Doing your research and reviewing the plan with your SO may make him feel safer. Always, always let your SO/friends know where you will be alone. I always tell my husband where I'm headed, and what time I'll call him if I'm going to be later than a certain time.

I also keep my RoadID on me. An inexpensive, durable band with my important details on it. Heaven forbid you, say, unexpectedly pass out on the trail... this way, if someone finds you, they know who you are, your medical info, and who to call. This gave my husband some great peace of mind :)

What it all boils down to is having a plan. Be safe, educated, and prepared!
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I go walking/running by myself all the time. If I go hiking in a more remote area, I let my roommate know where I'm going to be. And I always have my cell with me in case of emergency. Why live in fear?

I do agree with mellenorris that you need to be aware of the wildlife. The parks I frequent are close to the city, so wildlife isn't an issue for me.
  • bambi2578
    bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if people aren't understanding, but I'm not afraid of going. I'm ready to do it!

My boyfriend is the one hesitant to (dare I say) let me go. He just gets worried about other people, and what could happen if I was injured.

I know right now is "bear season sightings" in the area and they may have a few coyotes here. I only have dog mace currently, I'm not sure where I can obtain bear mace.

Most paths are behind the play area of the park, so there are generally a decent number of people there, but not a huge amount on the trails. They seem to pass enough if I was injured I'd be okay, but not enough to not be noticed if they were following me.

I'm working on obtaining my gun permit, but unfortunately in NJ, the only people who can conceal carry are ex-police and military (even if that's not what they say on the website).

I'm going to sit and talk with the BF and see what exactly is bothering him and what I can do to rectify it. It gets boring working out in our "apartment" in his family's house, and I'm tired of seeing the same development on my walks!

ETA: I'd love to get a dog, but right now that's not something I can do :cry: I'd love to have a walking/running buddy. Once we get a house, that's the first addition to the family! The BF's mother has one, but he's not a leash dog, so I can't take him either.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    So...this is a well-used park where lots of people and/or children play?

Yeah, you don't need a gun and bear spray. Just tell him to get over it and go running. You could get injured in the house, at work, literally anywhere. He can't keep you safe from everything by guilting you into staying in your house forever.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just bring my phone and stay alert. I feel like I am much more likely to get into a bad car accident on the road then have something terrible happen to me on a trail- not sure if that is statistically true... but...I think it might be!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    How do you people live with this kind of fear? I went to Thailand for 2 months by myself, and I certainly walk/jog in the park by my house (wooded with a river). If possible, I let someone know where I will be, I am always aware of my surroundings, and I do martial arts (krav maga). Yes, bad things can happen, but I would consider never going anywhere alone a VERY BAD THING. Be smart, but live your life!

40,000 people die in car crashes every year in the US. Are you going to stop driving or riding in vehicles? Better not swim, have any heat source in your home, walk outside when temps are below freezing, or eat hot dogs either...
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Offer to go walking and spend time with an attractive man friend of yours instead of going alone.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I live in NJ and I go biking & running alone all the time. Bring your phone, tell your boyfriend to get over it, if he doesn't his option is get off his butt and go with you.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I walk a local hike and bike trail regularly. I take pepper spray and my dog.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I carry a firearm with me anytime I go anywhere, you never know when or where a 2 or 4 legged predator is going to turn up. Do you have the ability to carry some sort of self defense?
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I agree with not living your life in fear, and as an adrenaline junky, I totally "get" the people who are being fairly flippant about the safety aspect of it. Kinda of the "YOLO" response.

That being said, if you can do minor things that would make you less of a potential target for animals (wild or human), you should. I generally don't go walking alone without at least one of my 3 large dogs...and usually have them all. I think I'd probably carry a knife or gun if I could figure out how to do so comfortably in my typical workout outfit, but I figure the dogs are enough.

See, I've BEEN a victim of random (gun) violence, and have seen the aftermath in others who have (I'm in healthcare). It changes you. Telling someone when to expect you back is great and all, but it doesn't change the fact that they may find you raped or dead somewhere, when they go looking.

As the Boy Scouts say: "Be Prepared". :)
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I personally like to go hiking alone (no one else daft enough to come with me) but I generally stick to well used popular trails with lots of people on them. I wouldn't go out into the wilderness alone, all it would take is a slip or a trip and you could wind up in dire straits alone with no help and miles from anywhere. Not sure what the terrain is like, but it doesn't take much in the hills to find yourself with zero signal if you fall in a ditch or roll under a boulder

Just make sure you are prepared, at the very least carry a 1st aid kit (even a pack of band-aids and some aspirin is better than nothing at all) ,a flashlight and a whistle.

Now, I personally wouldn't want my partner doing the same! This may be sexist, but you hear of far more women being attacked and left for dead than you do men. I won't even let my partner walk across a farmer's field to her mothers with the children as I'm worried she may get attacked. Paranoid? maybe, but a few weeks after I warned my partner not to do this, there were reports of several women being attacked in a neighbouring field. There are some very unsavoury characters out there just waiting for an opportunity, and some of them don't care whether or not you're scared.