Fitbit and this site

Options
I have a fitbit (basically an electronic step counter that you wear on your wrist like a watch) and checked the box to synch it with the MFP account. I'm wondering how it tracks the exercise. If I run for a half-hour, and log the exercise here on MFP, the fitbit is also counting all my steps and giving me credit for the workout (which will supposedly pass the info to MFP nightly or something. Won't that we double counting my exercise?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you don't get a helpful reply, try joining the fitbit group on here. Someone (who knows) will answer.
  • Choboman
    Choboman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Soy I think this should have gone in a different section. If someone could tell me how to move this to the fitness section, or just how to delete the message, I'd appreciate it.
  • Choboman
    Options
    If you don't get a helpful reply, try joining the fitbit group on here. Someone (who knows) will answer.
    Thanks, I'll look them up.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, MFP's calorie estimation will override what Fitbit says you burned. In actuality, you should not log anything step based as that is what Fitbit is recording for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Soy I think this should have gone in a different section. If someone could tell me how to move this to the fitness section, or just how to delete the message, I'd appreciate it.

You don't have to. Just a suggestion.
    here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • Choboman
    Options
    No, MFP's calorie estimation will override what Fitbit says you burned. In actuality, you should not log anything step based as that is what Fitbit is recording for you.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Oneironaut
    Oneironaut Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't use fitbit, but I connect the runkeeper app to MFP so I'll assume they work the same. If it is logging the exercise by itself automatically, I wouldn't manually enter anything because that would cause double entries. It should be simple enough to check your exercise page to see where it adds that entry.
  • 0torque0
    0torque0 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I just started fitbit as well and what I was told is that you have to enter the exercise in MFP including the start and end times and it will discount that info.
  • algrif37
    algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    How do you enter start and finish times on MFP for the fitbit?
  • krischavez18
    Options
    How do you enter start and finish times on MFP for the fitbit?

I use the MFP app on my iPhone and when logging an exercise it asks for your start time and the duration of your workout plus how many calories you burned.
  • Analiz76
    Analiz76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I log all of my workouts on my fitbit app. It will then automatically adjust my calories available on MFP.