Snacks

Options
I am looking for healthy portable snacks for work. I'm looking for ones that provide protein and carbs but that are low fat. I do not want any highly processed snacks with the exception of maybe some string cheese. I love fruit but it leaves me more hungry at the end of the snack.. I love cooked vegetables but not raw ones. I'm picky, I know. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Why low fat?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am looking for healthy portable snacks for work. I'm looking for ones that provide protein and carbs but that are low fat. I do not want any highly processed snacks with the exception of maybe some string cheese. I love fruit but it leaves me more hungry at the end of the snack.. I love cooked vegetables but not raw ones. I'm picky, I know. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Why don't you combine your fruit with other things like peanut butter, cheese or other things that will give you some of the other things you are looking for. I don't know why you want to skip the fat, it will give you energy as a snack should.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why low fat?

My thoughts too. Fat keeps me full.

Homemade beef jerky or granola bars.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Jerky & Nuts & Eggs
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Jerky & Nuts & Eggs
    All high fat. All my go to snacks (plus peanut butter/apples).
  • fcmonkey50
    Options
    If you have a refrigerator at work, keep plenty of your favorite veggies in it for the week. Keeping it there makes it very portable. Tupperware with rice, beans or sweet potato can supply carbs. Nuts in a baggie at the desk (careful of intake) allows for good quick protein and good fats.
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hummm, you are all correct. I'm going to have to rethink the low fat part of the equation. Many thanks for your suggestions.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Jerky & Nuts & Eggs

Jerky is low fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Jerky & Nuts & Eggs

Jerky is low fat.
    Is it? It's meat? but ok. (I :heart: jerky)
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Tanka bars and sticks are lower fat and lower sodium than a lot of other beef jerky/beef sticks.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    8 slices "lite" dry salami - 60 calories. With a medium bell pepper (46 calories) and an ounce of hummus (70 calories) 175 calories total. Hard boiled egg.

4 oz of grilled chicken is about 120 calories.

1 oz of cheddar cheese is 110 calories, but not very sustaining. With an apple (85 calories), I find it's a darn good snack.

veggie plate of red bell pepper (46) , 1/2 cucumber (1 c. cucumber coins) (15) and 3 oz. cherry tomatoes (30)
    Splurge 40 calories over for an ounce of hummus (70).

8 slices "lite" salami (60 calories), 4 water crackers (25 calories), and 1 oz. chevre (70 calories).

All are reasonably portable, and except for the cheese most are pretty low fat. I know they're mostly veggies, but even if veggies and fruit won't work for the OP, they might work for someone else.

Beyond that, too much depends on your various situation at work - is there a microwave, a water dispense, a refrigerator, etc.

Emma
  • amessam8
    amessam8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Raw Almonds. A great crunchy snack that fills you up.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Skim milk: good source of protein and carbs. I drink it often for a snack, although it's not very exciting, admittedly (flavor it if you want more taste and even more carbs!).

The milk is actually quite filling for me, and fits in well (90 cals/cup).

Like apparently every other poster, I like fatty snacks also, although a cup of milk satisfies me (as far as hunger) more than a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Jerky & Nuts & Eggs

Jerky is low fat.

It's meat all right. Dessicated meat. Not much fat after that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Jerky & Nuts & Eggs

Jerky is low fat.

It's meat all right. Dessicated meat. Not much fat after that.
    Look at that! You CAN Be helpful!:happy: thanks. makes sense.
    Clearly I've never noticed the nutritional info...most of my jerky is local, and doesn't have any.
    thanks
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, yes there is a fridge but I have been bringing a cooler with me as sometimes people raid the fridge for anything that looks good. Your ideas work for the cooler.
  • molson55
    molson55 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you have a fridge greek yogurt!!! I like Dannon Greek Light & Fit, but that's just my personal fav. 0 fat, nice amounts of protein!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of snack food while working out in the boonies as a wildlife biologist. My go-tos are cherry tomatoes and snap peas (I know you don't like raw veggies but these are SO GOOD), string cheese, raw almonds (in moderation), Laughing Cow light cheese wedges, jerky, light string cheese, apples, plain greek yogurt with a little jam or something mixed in, and smoked salmon.
  • infomancer
    infomancer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Would dry-roasted edamame be too processed for your tastes? I find them very snackable (and to have a nice snack-ish mouth-feel), and I've had some difficulty getting enough protein and dietary fibre, so they work well for me.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Core and cut an apple. Put it in a ziploc. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of PB2 in the baggie and shake. Yummm