HOW TO EAT HEALTHY AT A MEXICAN RESTAURANT!!!

Options

Replies

• RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Overkill.jpg

avoid this mound of heaven
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Fajitas. You don't even have to eat the tortilla if you are low carb. Or sometimes chicken enchiladas if there is not a lot of sauce and cheese.

Of course, the hard part is the chips and salsa and the margarita!
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I'm going to a Mexican restaurant, I'm having the cheese-stuffed fried avocado or some badass nachos. Otherwise, I'm not going.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Mexican food, real mexican food, is delicious and incredibly healthy. It's that mexican food is often calorie dense -- refried beans, avacado/guacamole, corn chips.

Honestly, though, it's a great chance to bone up on some protein and eat a ton of fresh veggies. Just be mindful of portion sizes.

When I'm going out for Mexican, I eat basically fruit and veggies all day, and make sure that I do a run in the morning so that I have at least 1000-1200 calories to work with haha.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Fajitas. Lol. That's like going to dominions for Italian.

Go to a Mexican restaurant and enjoy some Mexican food.
  • Water_Gal
    Water_Gal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Fajitas, only eat one tortilla since they are at least 100 cals and all carb

Salad with grilled chicken or shrimp

Ensalata fajita which is a salad with grilled stuff on top, just don't eat the fried tortilla bowl.

Avoid the chips, sour cream and flan. Do eat some guac, it's good for you.

I eat Mexican every week. Our favorite spot has many healthy options.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Ceviche is a good option, just go easy on the chips.

Chicken fajitas. Maybe no rice though.
  • willettamie
    willettamie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm with you...I absolutely "la'ove" Mexican food (born and raised in Southern California) I can't eat that type of food anymore due to health concerns, but man if I could....:laugh: - good conversation with friends & family over never ending bowls of warm chips and fresh salsa, not to mention the "table-side" guacamole. If I could, I would eat healthy & exercise the rest of the week and just go out and enjoy some great food!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I treated myself to a taco salad after losing around 15 lbs. Yum. May have to go back again soon.
    Recently saw a tip about splitting orders with someone else adding veggies on the side. Mainly enjoy.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My husband is from Mexico and when we eat out, we mostly go to a Mexican restaurant. I skip the rice side dish (I'm not a big fan of rice, anyway, and I rather save those calories) and I ask for frijoles de la olla instead of refried beans (boiled pinto beans instead of refried...yummy, plus I make pinto beans at home too.). If I get a tostada salad, I also do not eat the shell. I give any sour cream to my daughter and as for easy cheese.

I would also say that, if you're going for a special occasion, you should just plan carefully that day and don't worry too much about calories....once in a while it's OK to enjoy yourself.

Have fun!
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is possible, free chips and salsa.

:love: *homer simpson* mmmmm chips and salsa
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I'm going to a Mexican restaurant, I'm having the cheese-stuffed fried avocado or some badass nachos. Otherwise, I'm not going.

O M G! Cheese-stuffed fried avocado?!! I have never heard of this! Thank the gods there aren't any Mexican restaurants near me!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I like carne asada. Get corn tortillas rather than flour - much lower in calories. Sometimes mexican restaurants have pretty good salads too - use salsa for dressing. I also like the fajita idea since you can kinda control what you put in it (again corn tortillas - not flour). The restaurant we do has a low calorie menu - of course everything on that is still twice as many calories as I'd normally want in a meal. :drinker:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    FIND SOMETHING THAT THEY SERVE THAT FITS INTO YOUR CALORIE GOAL
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time......Grilled chicken, grilled veges and a skinny margarita.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Every Time this question comes up I wonder why people don't think of fajitas.

I always get fajitas. Steak, peppers, onions. I control the amount of cheese and sour cream I put on them. Lots of salsa. Corn tortillas.

YUM.

Now I want fajitas :sad:
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Every Time this question comes up I wonder why people don't think of fajitas.

yes!:drinker:
  • KiwipowaRoo
    KiwipowaRoo Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm drooling....
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Its one meal, if I am going out for Mexican, I will have a light breakfast and lunch, get in a good workout and then go enjoy a meal stress free with my family. Then wake up tomorrow and get back to my normal routine.... Best of Luck
  • loralye211
    loralye211 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get dinner from a Mexican place about once a week. My trick: order salad. If it's the kind of place that let's you build your own, get all the veggies you like, grilled chicken, black beans (they're better for you than pinto or refried), and as much salsa as they'll let you. Salsa will help flavor the salad so you won't need as much dressing. And speaking of dressing, dip your fork instead of dumping it on your bowl.