Mcdonald's Vanilla Ice Cream cone..

Options
Anyone ever use these as a "healthy" indulgence? I'm thinking about grabbing one before I hit the books! 150 cals, 3.5 g fat...not too bad right? :smile:

Replies

• food_junkie
    Options
    Anyone ever use these as a "healthy" indulgence? I'm thinking about grabbing one before I hit the books! 150 cals, 3.5 g fat...not too bad right? :smile:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    not bad at all, esp since those skinny cow ice creams are 120 calories and you get less than you would at mcdonalds...I might be following your lead today :wink:
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have done that for sure!! Ice milk is better for ya then "real creme" ice creme that's for sure!:smile:
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    not bad at all, esp since those skinny cow ice creams are 120 calories and you get less than you would at mcdonalds...I might be following your lead today :wink:

I found Skinny Cow fudge bars with only 35 cals. They are scrumptous! Klondike Slim a Bear 100-cal ice cream sandwiches are great, too!
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    Mmmmm......................Skinny cow, i love em!!!!!! Definitely a better choice than the coldstone i have next door that usually sucks me in at least once a week.
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i have mcdonalds ice cream cone about once every 2 weeks between then i wil have klondikes slim a bear.
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else eat the McDonald's ice cream cone WITHOUT the cone, like we do? They just put the ice cream in a sundae cup (no toppings or anything, just the ice cream they would put in a cone) instead of a cone. We're not big fans of the cone itself, hehe. (they taste styrofoam-y to me)

I've been trying to figure out the nutritional value of just the ice cream without the cone but it seems everywhere I look the cone is always included :brokenheart:
  • luvchi3
    Options
    Here is what's listed on calorieking for just the cone

Desserts: Ice Cream Cones, Cone only

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 20(Kilojoules 84)

% DV**
    Total Fat 0 g 0%
    Sat. Fat 0 g 0%
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 15 mg 1%
    Total Carbs. 4 g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 1 g
    Calcium 0 mg
    Note: A dash indicates no data is available.
  • pinktoque
    Options
    On NutritionData.com I found the nutrition info for the ice cream cone

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/foods-from-mcdonalds/6295/2

Plus then I could subtract the cone's info (thanks for that, luvchi!) :heart:

But I keep reading about "reduced fat vanilla cone" vs. just a mcdonald's cone... I thought the ONE type of ice cream they have IS the reduced fat vanilla "softserve" (made with ice milk.) Just checking.

BUT... the nutrition info I find on nutritiondata.com says the ice cream cone has 5g of fat per serving (and 0 fat in the cone to subtract), not 3.5 -- are we talking adult or kiddie-sized cone? It says 150 cals, too, which matches up. I seem to remember the data being TOTALLY different on McDonald's website. *sigh*

Maybe it's just the Canadian one. hehe
  • pinktoque
    Options
    I went to mcdonalds.ca and checked out the nutrition info. It's totally different than what's been posted in this thread so far :( Maybe those of us in Canada are getting jipped?

Calories 230!
    Fat 6g
    Carbs: 39!
    Sugars: 28!

Yikes :( Even if I were to subtract the cone's nutritonal info to see what *just* the ice cream has... it's not worth it (still 210 calories and 35 carbs). At least in Canada. Ouch. :(

:brokenheart:
  • pinktoque
    Options
    and I've verified it's just the Canadians who are getting jipped. In comparison, the same item on the mcdonalds.COM (U.S.) one says 150 cals, 3.5 fat, 24 carbs, etc.

Another interesting find. When you go to mcdonalds.COM and select Canada as your country instead of USA, you get this message:
    You are leaving the McDonald's Corporation web site for a site that is controlled by a third party, not affiliated with McDonald's. The content and policies, including the privacy policy, on the site you are entering may vary from McDonald's viewpoints and policies. Please be sure to review the policies of every site you visit. McDonald's is not responsible for the opinions, policies, statements or practices of any other companies, such as those that may be expressed in the web site you are entering.

I don't know what to think now :( Perhaps the nutritional info is different and for some reason our ice cream cones are a LOT worse... or maybe the site is wrong since it's "controlled by a third party not affiliated with McDonalds"

???
  • luvchi3
    Options
    i checked mcdonalds.com they only have the vanilla reduced fat ice cream cone there,

150 cals (130 with no cone)
    3.5 g fat
    20 g carb
    18 g sugar
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else eat the McDonald's ice cream cone WITHOUT the cone, like we do? They just put the ice cream in a sundae cup (no toppings or anything, just the ice cream they would put in a cone) instead of a cone. We're not big fans of the cone itself, hehe. (they taste styrofoam-y to me)

I've been trying to figure out the nutritional value of just the ice cream without the cone but it seems everywhere I look the cone is always included :brokenheart:

Question - is the amount of ice cream in the sundae cup the same as would be in the cone? I think our sundae cups look a lot bigger than the cone - thus you might be getting more ice cream than you would have with a cone. Just fyi...
  • pinktoque
    Options

Question - is the amount of ice cream in the sundae cup the same as would be in the cone? I think our sundae cups look a lot bigger than the cone - thus you might be getting more ice cream than you would have with a cone. Just fyi...

This is a good point, however now that I know the nutrition info on the US vs. Canadian cones are SO much different, I won't be indulging :( I have seen people make a cone and then place it upside down in the cup and then throw away the cone (which in my opinion is wasteful!) but you're right-- it's possible that there might be more in the sundae cup than what they put on a cone. I'm not sure.

It's also important to note for those that do get the cones that there isn't a standard (even if it says a serving size is 90g) for how much ice cream they put into those cones. When I worked there at 15 we had contests to see who could make the tallest or biggest cone. It's never exactly the same amount and it how much ice cream you get in your cone will vary depending on who makes the cone, so be careful -- you may be getting more than the serving size in your cone!
  • pinktoque
    Options
    i checked mcdonalds.com they only have the vanilla reduced fat ice cream cone there,

150 cals (130 with no cone)
    3.5 g fat
    20 g carb
    18 g sugar

ya, that's right for the U.S. cones -- sorry for any confusion. On the Canadian site, the nutrition info is waaaaay different:

Calories 230
    Fat 6g
    Carbs: 39
    Sugars: 28

:brokenheart: