Any good smoked Salmon recipes??

Options
HazelMcNutty
HazelMcNutty Posts: 85 Member
My husband just got himself a smoker and he's an avid fisherman so we have a freezer full of smoked salmon. (literally, there's a whole full sized freezer dedicated to salmon,) I don't eat the stuff so I have no idea how to use it to make dinners for the rest of the family. I've done a pasta dish or two, but my man's not a big pasta fan. I really want my kids to eat it because I don't want them growing up picky like I am, and I don't want to end up with a bunch of really expensive dog food like we did with last years catch because he made stuff with it and I never used it to anyone and it just got bad.

Any suggestions??

Replies

• Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have never frozen smoked salmon before, so am a bit stumped... I would imagine using it as an integrated ingredient in a casserole or bake would be pretty good... just a few links:

Breakfast Smoked Salmon Casserole: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/smoked-salmon-and-potato-breakfast-casserole

Salmon and Potato Napoleon Casserole (with spinach, smoked salmon and potato): http://www.canadianliving.com/food/salmon_and_potato_napoleon_casserole.php

General ideas for what to do with your own smoked salmon: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/10-things-do-smoked-salmon

Hope others will respond as I like smoked salmon and am always up for ideas!
  • WolnaDusza
    WolnaDusza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon cream cheese - just blend the two together, goes great on bagels!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Make some egg salad with tarragon and capers. Use a good multi grain bread. Top a thin layer of smoked salmon with the egg salad and some baby spinach. If you don't want the bread, just serve it over a bed of baby spinach. It's so yum.
  • asha8907
    asha8907 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The first thing I thought of when I saw this was sushi. Philadelphia roll! Delicious and my personal favorite. I haven't mastered slimming sushi down though, due to the rice.
  • HazelMcNutty
    Options
    Thanks! Keep em coming!

We have SO much of it that we freeze it so it will keep longer. Just pull it out the day before and it's pretty much just like the day after it comes out of the smoker. We're going to make a TON of salmon cream cheese with it, and I've done salmon salad sandwiches that the kids love. I will look into doing a casserole with it.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This is a winner. So wonderful . Hope you like it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mimis-Smoked-Salmon-Chowder/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

SMOKED SALMON CHOWDER

Ingredients

Original recipe makes 8 servingsChange Servings
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
    1 pound potatoes - peeled and cubed
    1 teaspoon dried dill weed
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    8 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    1/4 cup white wine
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
    1 cup half and half

Directions.
    In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, combine the butter, olive oil, onion, garlic, and celery. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until the onions are transparent. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir well to make a dry roux. Gradually add the chicken broth and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in the potatoes, dill, tarragon, thyme, and paprika. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
    Stir in the salmon, wine, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Simmer over low heat, uncovered for 10 minutes.
    Mix in the half-and-half and continue to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not let the chowder boil after adding the half-and-half. Serve hot.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    This is my all time favorite. I haven't made it since cutting out sugar though...haven't tried it with Splenda because I'm just not sure if Splenda has the same anti-microbial properties as sugar.

Make up the cure which is a 3:1 ratio of Sugar to Salt. Brown Sugar is the best here, in my opinion. I get salmon filets from Sams Club and for each filet I use a cup of sugar and 1/3 cup salt, to give you an idea of how much to make.

I cut the filet up into pieces, like 4 to 5 inch pieces to make the curing and handling of them easier. Then put some of the cure on a piece of cling wrap, set the piece of salmon on top of that, put cure on top, and seal it up as well as you can. Get a good seal to reduce leakage, and then put all those into a large ziploc bag and seal it up nice and tight to contain any leakage further.

Personally, I do a shortcut where I lay a gallon ziploc freezer bag in its side and get a layer of cure inside, spread out over the whole inside of the bag, then lay the pieces on top, then coat with the remaining cure and seal, but whenever typing instructions out the cling wrap way seems to make more sense to someone trying for the first time.

OK, now that it is in the cure and sealed, toss it into the fridge for 12 to 18 hours to cure. Then rinse off the pieces and let them air dry on a rack for a couple hours...if you have a fan to circulate air this will help, or better yet, an Excalibur dehydrator like I have is a real nice to have right here for a couple hours of drying time.

Get your smoker running at a LOW temp at 170 or up, try not to get up as high as 190-200 but sometimes that is unavoidable in certain cases, I use a Weber Smoky Mountain barrel type smoker, so it only takes a few lit chunks of wood to get up to temp. You just want enough heat to smoke it to a done temp, low enough to give it time in the smoke.

Just before putting on the smoker, season as desired. I like a maple syrup glaze with black pepper, but a dear friend (who gave me this recipe) also swears by sesame seeds. Do what you think sounds best here.

Smoke them until they reach 145 degrees F internal, at this point between the cure of salt, sugar, smoke and the finished product temp it is safe and will keep for several days in the fridge. Let it rest overnight in the fridge before eating if you can. I never get it to last any more than about 24 hours, as people swarm it. The first batch ever even cooled.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I like to make omelets with dill, smoked salmon, and feta. Sometimes a bit of avocado too.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, I love smoked salmon! I've been eating loads of lox lately, and have my first ever homemade gravlax in the fridge right now. Hot smoked is great too!

This is generally how I eat it:

By itself - quick protein snack
    With (mixed in or on the side) gently scrambled eggs and a few nice capers on top
    With toast, light cream cheese and capers
    With rye crackers, cream cheese and capers - and a quick red onion pickle if I have thought ahead
    Smoked Salmon Alfredo
    In potato salad
    In quiche
    In devilled eggs
    Gently heated with steamed asparagus (super healthy low carb meal)
    Whipped into a nice creamy dip for crackers, chips or bread - for entertaining
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Big fan of deconstructed everything bagel pasta:

For one serving:
    - 1 serving pasta (I use barilla pasta plus)
    - 4 oz smoked salmon
    - 1 serving low fat cream cheese
    - 1/2 shallot
    - 1 clove chopped garlic
    - pinch of coarse sea salt
    - pinch of cracked black pepper
    - sesame seeds
    - poppy seeds
    - olive oil

Directions: Cook pasta according to directions (al dente). Drain reserving a small amount of pasta water for thinning sauce if needed. Place a small amount of olive oil and heat (careful not to burn oil with the low smoke point of OO) over med. Once hot, throw in garlic and shallot and cook until lightly browned. Add cream cheese and stir until combined. Thin sauce with pasta water if needed. Add pasta and toss to coat. Remove from heat but leave in pan. In a separate pan, toast sesame seeds. Add salmon to pasta and toss to combine but do not allow to cook. Put pasta mixture into serving vessel (recommend a bowl). Top with toasted sesame seeds, poppy seeds, salt and pepper.
  • srdeaver
    srdeaver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    plm209 - this sounds yummy. Do you know the calories per serving?
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Mine is very simple = smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and avodaco. Perfection!
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I second whoever said smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese, and definitely the sushi! Make your own sushi at home, and you also don't even have to worry about getting "sushi grade" fish, because it is cooked already. Just nori, sticky rice, salmon, maybe cream cheese, avocado, carrots, and cucumber. And siracha :)

I generally use smoked salmon on salads. It adds a lot of flavor, and it is good with quite a number of dressings. We usually eat it with an Asian chopped salad mix from King Soopers or something, because my husband loves that one, but I've had it with vinagrettes and thousand island too, and it still goes well.

Ooh, I just saw the post right before mine. Smoked salmon, eggs, and avocado :) That sounds delicious.
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @srdeaver - Not sure, will vary with how much oil you use and the brands of cream cheese/pasta. Macros are usually good though as long as you don't go overboard with the oil.
  • HazelMcNutty
    Options
    Thanks everyone!.

Found a real family pleaser on Pinterest today. Smoked Salmon Quesadilas using cream cheese, spinach and finely chopped sweet peppers. I made what I thought was way too much and they were looking for more :)
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon + fork.

It's freakin' fresh-caught smoked salmon. You could use it to improve other foods, but nothing can improve it.

Oh well, if you must - include a double of single-malt scotch.
  • Fairytern
    Fairytern Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Northern Europe and Canada have a big Salmon culture. Gravad Lax is a traditional Scandinavian/Scottish dish, Lox and Bagels (lox and anything actually lol). You can use smoked salmon for any number of regular recipes. The BC (British Columbia) Benny is Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon and my favourite! Also, smoked salmon pizza with capers and Basil and a drizzle of olive oil before baking quickly (made on very thin crispy base with no cheese) and one of my favourite pastas is curried smoked salmon linguine with fresh peas. I also invented a salmon soup with fresh salmon and smoked salmon made like a chowder and white navy beans, orange juice and zest with garlic and onions and dill, which you then blend. And smoked salmon pastries, using frozen puff pastry to save time, with a sweet onion marmalade and citrus zest of your choice, wrapped into fist-sized, egg washed parcels and popped in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until brown. REALLY easy :-)
  • HazelMcNutty
    Options
    Smoked salmon + fork.

It's freakin' fresh-caught smoked salmon. You could use it to improve other foods, but nothing can improve it.

Oh well, if you must - include a double of single-malt scotch.

Just plain old Salmon with some rice and veggies on the side was my original plan, but the hubster wanted something done with it... he prefers to eat it on its own as a snack or an appetizer.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon cream cheese - just blend the two together, goes great on bagels!

I just throw the salmon on top of the cream cheese. I recently used goat cheese, which is pretty good too.