Snacks

Options
2»

Replies

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    hard-boiled eggs and I love low-fat mozzarella sticks with some peanut butter; raisins with walnuts or pine nuts are kinda high calorie but I fit them in and they do satisfy my hunger; celery and peanut butter
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Another one: Wasa cracker with a thin layer of cream cheese and a slice of roasted turkey. Or hummus in place of the cream cheese, but don't knock fat entirely. It's important for satiety, as well as immune system and nutrient absorption.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of snack food while working out in the boonies as a wildlife biologist. My go-tos are cherry tomatoes and snap peas (I know you don't like raw veggies but these are SO GOOD), string cheese, raw almonds (in moderation), Laughing Cow light cheese wedges, jerky, light string cheese, apples, plain greek yogurt with a little jam or something mixed in, and smoked salmon.

^^
    I'm a big snacker, and all of these are on my "go to" list along with Babybel Lite Cheese Rounds (the waxy coating keeps them from smushing in my bag), Jack Links Teriyaki Steak Bars, air-popped popcorn, rice crackers, little tins of flavoured tuna and a medium Tupperware full of cole slaw mix (no dressing... I just dump on the tuna, then drizzle on balsamic vinegar... yum!). I also LOVE Brussels sprouts, and will often snack on those. I also keep those lunchbox sized fruit rollups or fruit chewies to hit my sweet tooth when needed.

I have been known to keep a couple of packets of instant oatmeal as well as a bag of slivered almonds (from the baking department at the grocery) for a fiber rich snack.

If you have a freezer at work, you could pre-portion out (in ziptop baggies) mixed frozen berries... I find these great to snack on-- they take a while to eat and are sweet and satisfying. You can also dump a few into cottage cheese for a sweet and cold treat.

Finally, I keep plenty of herbal teas and no-sugar sweetener (I have to watch my sugar intake) for when I want to ingest something, but not necessarily food.

p.s. If you really have a problem with people pinching things from the fridge, you could try using some of those anti-theft ziptop bags... check these out http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/anti-theft-lunch-bag-sherwood-forlee . They insure that your lunch does NOT look "good", lol.

Looking forward to hearing the snack ideas of others... always on the prowl for something new!

Edited for grammar :).
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I never though of smoked salmon. What a great idea. All of these ideas are great.
  • Oneironaut
    Oneironaut Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've recently been eating a lot of cottage cheese. There are low fat variants and it is very high in protein. I get the type with pineapple in it, so all that added sugar probably has a decent amount of carbs. It does probably need to be refrigerated.

I hated cottage cheese before finding this pineapple variant(publix brand specifically, but I think other more common brands have pineapple ones too), but now I'm practically addicted to the stuff.