How do you crush those late night cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! The only way for me to deal with late night cravings is to actually plan for them!
    Tonight is bake night, and there's fresh sourdough bread smell all through the house. I bake the good stuff, whole grain flour and all, and I knew this afternoon that I will have to have some of it! I'm still 400 calories under my goal today, and I have plenty of leftover calories since weekend. I'll be good to go tonight! :laugh:
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    What helps for me is distraction, over anything else. If you can pick up a hobby that will keep you engrossed, you probably won't even notice the cravings if it's not genuine hunger.

I snacked way too much and gave into cravings when I'd come home and watch TV and look at the internet every night. Reading is different; when I'm reading, I'm in another place, mentally, and I can't as easily pause what I'm doing to go get a snack. Same thing if I'm writing, or if I'm sewing, or playing an instrument.

Keeping myself busy is the only way I've ever succeeded in putting down the snacks and actually losing weight.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think the answer will be different for everyone but here are a few things:
    1) dont eat after 8pm crap really isnt crap. after you make it 3-4 days and find out you live (I have acted like a cage animal going thru withdrawals so I am not saying its easy for everyone
    2) Veggies- carrots, celery Cukes ... just eat eat eat
    3) frozen pineapple chunks curb my sweet tooth

I think he was referring to people that go, "OMG eating after 8pm makes you instantly store fat, don't do iiiiiit!" Not that not doing it isn't possible.

I mean I cooooould not eat after 8pm. But I train at night and love my snacks. It's what has made this sustainable for me. I tend to eat less in the day and more in the evenings. It's whatever works for you for overall sustainability

"I think he was referring to people that go, "OMG eating after 8pm makes you instantly store fat, don't do iiiiiit!" Not that not doing it isn't possible. "
    That's exactly what I was talking about. I suppose I COULD stop eating after 8, But then I'd have to eat dinner in the car on the way home. Or what if I stay up until 2:00 a.m? Should I not snack at midnight? Huh? Huh? Pshh
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Saving about 200 cals for something in the evening after I work out has worked for me in the past - but I have less cals to work with now that I'm trying to lose this 10lbs I gained back. I plan my food for the day the night before now, usually plan to eat something semi-sweet after workouts to satisfy my cravings. Sometimes I slip up and have extra stuff but I just try to work it off with extra exercise if I can. If you really have 0 calories left for the day, drink a cup of tea - seems to quell my appetite.
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    sometimes I just go to bed early. I am lucky I have no trouble sleeping. other times I will eat something that takes awhile to chew. cabbage or parsley work for me. also those tiny peppers are terrific crunchy snacks. I have also just chewed a clove or garlic, with that strong flavor in your mouth it is hard to eat anything else.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm such a longterm sufferer of late night munchies too. What's helped me (and I was very skeptical of this at first, too) - flavored hot herbal non-caffeinated tea. For some reason drinking a cup of that just makes me not be hungry and not want munchies anymore. If the munchies come back (hello, chronic insomniac here) I'll have a 60-calorie cup of unsweetened applesauce. The fiber in that usually helps keep me full enough to make it to bed time without binging.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm such a longterm sufferer of late night munchies too. What's helped me (and I was very skeptical of this at first, too) - flavored hot herbal non-caffeinated tea. For some reason drinking a cup of that just makes me not be hungry and not want munchies anymore. If the munchies come back (hello, chronic insomniac here) I'll have a 60-calorie cup of unsweetened applesauce. The fiber in that usually helps keep me full enough to make it to bed time without binging.
    I'm gonna have to get on the tea wagon. I used to drink hot tea at night all the time. Don't know why I stopped, but looking back, it was also when I weighed 180lbs. Hmm.... Coincidence?
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Try and save some calories for the evening if you can.

I normally cant - So if I want something I just have it & don't bother beating myself up about.

Hey - I am at the gym tomorrow burning it off anyway... So its not a problem : )

Now if I wasn't going to the gym..... It would be a different story hahahaha