Calling all Southern Belle Sweet Tea Addicts

Options

Replies

• sumone2012
    Options
    I add splenda - still miss my sweet tea, but what i get in return for what I give should be worth it!
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    Have you tried the Mio Sweet Tea and Peach Tea concentrates?
    I rather like the flavor and I can make it as strong as I like.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I start by brewing 4 or 5 teabags and water. I add 1/3 cup splenda and 1/3 cup sugar. Mix in 2 qt container, add enough water to make 2 qts. Comes out to 35 calories for 8oz.

Not calorie free but lower than with all sugar and I still get that incrediblly sweet flavor.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I brew 4 family size tea bags in 2 quarts of water for a few hours to make it super strong and then add 2/3 cup splenda and 1/3 cup sugar. I then stir in enough water to make a full gallon. I don't know how many calories, but I think it is around 500 or so for the whole gallon. It's still pretty sweet, too.
  • isherryb
    isherryb Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I also am a sweet tea, and coffee addict. Giving up coffee is not an option for me, but I have given up sweet tea, with the exception of an occassional cup of hot tea. I don't care for the artificial sweeteners, but using a mix of splenda and sugar sounds like a great alternative over cutting it out completely!
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I personally use the premixed Splenda / Sugar blend - tastes like sugar to me. I have tried all other sweeteners, natural and artificial, and none really taste right to me, except the sugar / splenda blend.

I have cut my sweet tea down to one large 12 oz glass a day, and unlimited on my free day (once a week for me)

rest of the time, mostly water.

It is pricey at about $6 a bag, but since I have cut my tea drinking down dramatically, it takes about a month to finish a bag, and worth it to me. (also use it in my oatmeal)

Walmart also carrys their generic version, which is just as good, and $1 cheaper per bag.

I have tried to mix my own 50/50 - but can never get it to blend to taste right when premixed in a big container, and am to lazy to manually add one scoop of each at a time to a jug, while making tea. :)

513eck3ks5L._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Splenda-Sugar-Blend-32-Ounce-Bags/dp/B001EQ5O2I
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    try 1/2 sweet & 1/2 unsweet, you might want to start 70/30 or 60/40 until you get used to it
  • juju426
    Options
    I am so addicted to sweet tea. Now I make the tea, but I put 2-3 table spoons of Agave syrup in it and it cuts half the calories of sugar and your body digests it as metabolized energy and not like sugar does. Try it.

Or hey, try unsweet. No sugars. Yeaaaaaaaaaaah!

I have actually this week done pretty good cutting it out all together. I have for the past 5 days drank water all day getting my 8 cups in and then some with no tea, unless I start to get a head ache, I will drink 1 cup to make the headache go away and over the 5 day I have done that maybe 3 times. I am on my way to tea free. If not for caffeine withdrawls I would give it all up.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I am so addicted to sweet tea. Now I make the tea, but I put 2-3 table spoons of Agave syrup in it and it cuts half the calories of sugar and your body digests it as metabolized energy and not like sugar does. Try it.

Or hey, try unsweet. No sugars. Yeaaaaaaaaaaah!

I have actually this week done pretty good cutting it out all together. I have for the past 5 days drank water all day getting my 8 cups in and then some with no tea, unless I start to get a head ache, I will drink 1 cup to make the headache go away and over the 5 day I have done that maybe 3 times. I am on my way to tea free. If not for caffeine withdrawls I would give it all up.

Good job, you're on the way to no sweet tea.
  • DJFL49
    Options
    You can make a gallon of delicious sweet tea with zero calories for less than a dollar. I have been buying Luzianne Pour 'n Stir iced tea concentrate which comes in a little plastic pouch. It is made with Splenda so it has no calories, and it is only 98 cents at Walmart. It's as good as any "real" sweet tea I've ever had. It also comes in unsweetened, so make sure you get the one that says Sweet Tea on it. The single pouches make a gallon of tea, or you can buy a box of six pouches which make a half gallon each. The nice thing is that it doesn't have to be refrigerated, so you can keep a stock in your pantry and never run out.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweet tea. Like you, unsweet is not an option. I tried splenda, nope that's not gonna work either. It sounds weird, but something about the texture (viscosity? ) of splenda sweetened tea is wrong. It's too thin.

I've made sweet tea a treat. At home (I'm a SAHM) I only drink water. If we eat out I allow myself to get tea, but I usually ask for half sweet, half unsweet.

If took a while to get there though. When I started, I used the flavor powders in the water and got full sweet tea at places with servers and mixed 3/4 sweet with 1/4 unsweet at places where you get your own drink. I gradually got to where I am now. The best way I've found to make this weight loss thing last is to make small changes. Get used to those, then make a few more small changes and eventually, you've made a big change.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand* Howdy I'm Ash and I'm a sweet tea addict. Well, I was...

When I began my fitness journey I decided to cut out tea in favor of more water. O My Word was it hard. But I found fruit infused water and it has changed me! My favorite is cucumber lemon. I just cut up the fruit and plop it in my glass. It stays good for 4-5 days and then I switch it out for fresh fruit,

Another combo I love is watermelon & rosemary. Now the rosemary I have to put in a fruit infuser glass because the leaves get sucked into the straw. It's really weird getting "grass" in my mouth. :)

I do sometimes have tea but it's only one cup a day and usually in the mornings and I sweeten it with Truvia. But since I found a fruit combo that I love in my water I haven't had anything else. I crave water now and not tea. In fact, it's actually been several months since my last glass of tea! 0.o
  • DJFL49
    Options
    I never liked ice tea made with Splenda either, but this Luzianne concentrate is GOOD. You should try it. What have you got to lose? It's only 98 cents for a pouch that makes a gallon of tea.
  • DJFL49
    Options
    I LOVE sweet tea. Like you, unsweet is not an option. I tried splenda, nope that's not gonna work either. It sounds weird, but something about the texture (viscosity? ) of splenda sweetened tea is wrong. It's too thin.

I've made sweet tea a treat. At home (I'm a SAHM) I only drink water. If we eat out I allow myself to get tea, but I usually ask for half sweet, half unsweet.

If took a while to get there though. When I started, I used the flavor powders in the water and got full sweet tea at places with servers and mixed 3/4 sweet with 1/4 unsweet at places where you get your own drink. I gradually got to where I am now. The best way I've found to make this weight loss thing last is to make small changes. Get used to those, then make a few more small changes and eventually, you've made a big change.

I never liked ice tea made with Splenda either, but this Luzianne concentrate is GOOD. You should try it. What have you got to lose? It's only 98 cents for a pouch that makes a gallon of tea. All you do is dump it into a one gallon pitcher, fill it with water, and stir it up real good.
  • Fitdoge
    Fitdoge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have found that sweet tea is my habit and addiction! Unsweet tea is NOT an option. I've tried Stevia, Truvia, etc. and it is just plain nasty. I like plain water but I'm having a hard time drinking it plain. I've used real lemons and at least 5 or more Crystal Light mixes. The boxes are taking up so much space in my cabinet. They seem too sweet. I even tried 2 different tea powders. yuck! Any suggestions?

I buy teabags and make pitchers of tea at a time. I boil it in a large pot, steep it for 30 minutes, remove the teabags and let sit in the fridge. It was terrible and bitter AT FIRST, and then I slowly grew to love it. Drinking regular sweetened tea makes me gag now. I prefer my tea as strong and bitter as possible and I used to be just addicted to the sugarriest teas possible.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who was hoping for pics of Southern Belles???

6821710_orig.jpg

2632772_orig.jpg

Country-Girl.jpg

aa9c990d57d34d55fbe3d074ece902ce.jpg
  • DJFL49
    Options
    I have found that sweet tea is my habit and addiction! Unsweet tea is NOT an option. I've tried Stevia, Truvia, etc. and it is just plain nasty. I like plain water but I'm having a hard time drinking it plain. I've used real lemons and at least 5 or more Crystal Light mixes. The boxes are taking up so much space in my cabinet. They seem too sweet. I even tried 2 different tea powders. yuck! Any suggestions?

I buy teabags and make pitchers of tea at a time. I boil it in a large pot, steep it for 30 minutes, remove the teabags and let sit in the fridge. It was terrible and bitter AT FIRST, and then I slowly grew to love it. Drinking regular sweetened tea makes me gag now. I prefer my tea as strong and bitter as possible and I used to be just addicted to the sugarriest teas possible.

Your tea is bitter because you are steeping it WAY TOO LONG. "Bring 8 cups water to a simmer; remove from the heat and add 3 tablespoons loose tea or 6 tea bags. Let steep about 4 minutes, until it's the strength you like. Strain loose tea with a fine-mesh sieve or remove the tea bags. Let cool, then transfer to a pitcher, cover and refrigerate."
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am an addict and I PROMISE this is good!!! My whole family loves it!! It is kinda pricey, but worth it!!

Use Truvia BAKING BLEND!! It comes in a bag over by the regular sugar and other sweeteners. You pour it. I think a glass is less than 50 calories and you don't have to use much of it in a pitcher. We boil the tea and add it to it while hot, just like with regular sugar.

Walmart is the cheapest and it is 5.99 a bag there and one bag will make at least 4 pitchers of tea and that is 2-gallon size.

TRY IT!!

I'm in NC, ya'll. :flowerforyou:
  • DJFL49
    Options

Oh, Truvia is HORRIBLE!!! I don't know how they can market that as a sweetener. I have been buying Sparkling Ice, which is a flavored water. I have tried most of the flavors, and so far the only I didn't like was Cherry Limeade. It comes in 17 oz bottles for $1.00 at Walmart and has NO calories. I tried Crystal Light years ago but couldn't stand the artificial taste.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Nah. Never mind.