How to get a person to stfu about gym?

Options
Snow3y
Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
So I have a friend who i've probably introduced into gym addiction.. and I honestly regret it. He ONLY contacts me when it's about gym/what he ate for gym, he ONLY talks to me in college class when it's about gym... like I DO KNOW OTHER THINGS APART FROM GYM :noway: Does anyone know of a way (sugar coating preferable) to get him to just shut up about the gym? Ever since gym has become a fad to people my age, it's non-stop talk about gym, eating, and supplements.

Any advice is welcome :/

Replies

• breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    I'm all for being blunt and just tell him you'll break up with him if he keeps talking about it :wink:
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    I'm all for being blunt and just tell him you'll break up with him if he keeps talking about it :wink:

+1
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Rip that band-aid off!
  • Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    +1
  • drdelirium
    drdelirium Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Probably the best way is cut him off at the pass and bring up a new topic of conversation first the next time you see him, before he has a chance to talk about gym.

"Hey, _________! Did you ...watch the game last night? ...see ____ (TV show/movie/YouTube vid)?"

Start introducing new topics of conversation and eventually he'll realize he can talk to you about more stuff. If that doesn't work and he keeps talking about the gym, just be blunt and tell him you're tired of talking about it all the time. Good luck!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Is he a good friend who you talked about loads of other things with prior to this, or is he more a casual acquaintance? I agree you need to tell him (nicely), but how forceful you can be probably depends on how well you know him.

By the way, I feel your pain, I too have created a monster by suggesting that one of my work colleagues join my gym when he expressed an interest in getting into exercise. He's now the most enthusiastic runner ever, has turned into an overnight diet expert and apparently his wife now hates me!
  • Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There are some people who have to be all or nothing and it can be a very big struggle for anyone else who hasn't made it their life also. You can tell them politely that it's annoying the crap out of you.

"I'm glad that you have found something that you are really passionate about but I'd really appreciate if we could talk about other stuff outside of the gym."

"I'm kind of burned out by everyone being so obsessed with going to the gym. I'd rather talk about other things or go do other stuff."

"You're driving me nuts, please stop talking before I smash all of your car windows." (In case all else fails)

Good luck!
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    By the way, I feel your pain, I too have created a monster by suggesting that one of my work colleagues join my gym when he expressed an interest in getting into exercise. He's now the most enthusiastic runner ever, has turned into an overnight diet expert and apparently his wife now hates me!
    [/quote]

HA HA that is funny!
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    send him the link to this post :wink:
  • breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    send him the link to this post :wink:

That works :happy:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    This.

If you use the words "I'll break up with you if you keep talking about it all the time and nothing else", there's something funny in it, but you still get the point across loud and clear. Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns and be direct.