Low Carb/Hi Protein Support

jchrisman717
jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
Hi, my name is Jo. I am getting married in Sept. and need to lose about 15 or so lbs before I can get into my wedding dress (which is already purchased).

I got in shape and lost quite a bit of weight and felt great doing the Jay Robb diet about 3 years ago. It is a healthy, low carb high protein diet that is not quite as restricting as the Atkins diet. I thought it would be easy to jump back on the program but it hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be.

Me and my fiance live together and he does not have a problem eating, and I like to cook for him. I don't want to give up cooking for him and eating together, but would like to incorporate some better meals for the two of us and just use my will power to eat healhier.

We did join a gym so that should help but I thought it might be nice to have some friends to compare notes to and be accountable too.

Would anyone like to be support buddies for this type of a diet?

My goal is to be where I want to be by July 1 so I can get my dress altered.

Thanks!

Replies

• Hi. I am on a low carb/high protein diet also. I have to cook for both me and my daughter but I hate making two different meals for us. I just make what I am going to eat and then add a carb for her. Like some brown rice, whole wheat toast, or pasta. She doesn't need to lose weight at all and by just adding a side for her we are still eating together and have our family time.

Erin
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    I am not familiar with Jay Robb......but I am also on a special program where my carbs and protein are balanced. I eat 80-100 grams of carbs a day, and around 100-125 grams of protein a day. This has been the answer to my prayers.

For my main meals, I cook lean meat with low-carb veggies-1-1/2 cups of them, 7 ounces of lean meat. If you fiance wanted additional carbs, you could cook him up something that would suit him.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Never heard of Jay Robb. But I've been tryin to follow a low carb/high protein diet. I find it so diffucult to cut back on the carbs. I've also been tryin to eat as clean as possible as well.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    I'm doing something similar - it's the 4 hour body slow carb diet by Tim Ferris. anyways, i have my husband and 2 kids to cook for, as well. fortunately, they all love veggies, so what I do is I make meals that have plenty of veggies and proteins, and then add rice, pasta, etc on the side for them. if it is a meal that must have it all cooked together (i.e., lasagna) i will pick around it and eat what i can eat.

adding a salad on the side is also helpful.

also you can add more legumes into your meals - these are high in protein, very filling, they are a carbohydrate, but have a low glycemic index, so they are ok to eat.
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    @luv2ash - Having lost 73 lbs gives you experience crediblity in my book! Congrats to you! How did you arrive at this carb/protein combo?

Just yesterday I read two articles totally opposite each other on the carb/protein issue - but they both agreed that sugar & high fructose corn syrup were to be avoided.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    I am eating lower carb, higher protein also. I have my macronutrients set to 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fats- typically this puts my carbs at 175 or so, and my proteins at 120 for the day (before exercise.) I do the same as everyone else...I cook a meal and then just add a carb on the side for my husband and 2 kids. Sometimes I eat it if I have enough carbs left for the day, but usually I just skip it and load up on the meat and veggies.
  • jchrisman717
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I am just going to have to be really strong willed to fix my fiance some sides and not eat them myself. I think the key is planning ahead and so that's my goal over the next few weeks is to try to plan my meals out and be prepared to cook instead of throwing it together at the last minute when I am hungry and can't resist the pasta dishes.
  • JPriceGA
    If you haven't done this yet, substitute spaghetti squash for pasta. It's really easy - it's an oval shaped yellow squash usually about the size of a small American football. Cut it in half, take out the seeds like you woluld a halloween pumpkin. You can then either steam it, or put saran wrap over each half and cook one half at a time in the microwave. I just use the potato pre-set button on the microwave, and it comes out just right. You'll know it's ready when you can run a fork through it and it breaks apart into strands that look like spaghetti. If it's over cooked, it gets mushy. It's a little more crunchy and watery than pasta, but it's an easy way to get extra veggies.
  • JPriceGA
    If you haven't done this yet, substitute spaghetti squash for pasta. It's really easy - it's an oval shaped yellow squash usually about the size of a small American football. Cut it in half, take out the seeds like you woluld a halloween pumpkin. You can then either steam it, or put saran wrap over each half and cook one half at a time in the microwave. I just use the potato pre-set button on the microwave, and it comes out just right. You'll know it's ready when you can run a fork through it and it breaks apart into strands that look like spaghetti. If it's over cooked, it gets mushy. It's a little more crunchy and watery than pasta, but it's an easy way to get extra veggies.
  • jchrisman717
    Hmm - thanks - I didn't even think about spaghetti squash - I will have to try that.

Well last night was a prime example of why this has been so hard for me. We get home and he wants to go have a few beers after work and then we ended up getting pizza. I did only have two pieces and two beers which would put me over my calorie limit..

But I will keep working on it!
This discussion has been closed.