Will this affect my weight loss?

Options
Hi so I recently started doing Focus T25 on Monday. And I've been eating really healthy until yesterday when my family went out for my mom's birthday to a Chinese buffet. I only ate veggies and a little bit of chicken and fruit. And that day I had only had a fruit smoothie, a parfait and a pear. But I didn't get to workout because of how late we got home. Will this affect my weight loss or am I just overreacting?

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    First diet is for weight loss, exercise is for health. Second you are too worried.

It also sounds like you are being very restrictive, humans hate being denied things and at some point you will fight back against yourself. It is just not maintainable. Choosing healthy options is great, but heck enjoy life and have things you want in moderation.

Try to keep things in focus, weight loss/gain is math.....3500 calories = 1lb. So if yesterday you ate 3500 calories above maintenance then you would gain a lb. Could this to technically set you back, sure....but it is 1lb and a few days or 2 weeks tops. When you are trying to change your lifestyle to get healthy and lose weight, that is only a drop in the bucket.

Also if you do weigh yourself in the next day or so, try not to really pay attention to the number.....Chinese buffet can have a ton of sodium and more than likely you will gain in water weight....it will be gone without work, so nothing to get upset over.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    If you ate 3500 EXTRA calories, you might gain a pound, otherwise you're fine.
  • cinds77
    Options
    Yes I think you're worrying about that too much - try to have a more long term view of things. Not exercising for one day isn't the end of the world, you just don't want to make a habit of it all the time.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yes I think you're worrying about that too much - try to have a more long term view of things. Not exercising for one day isn't the end of the world, you just don't want to make a habit of it all the time.

Actually you MIGHT want to make a habit of not exercising every day, especially if you exercise hard. Our bodies need time to heal from the micro-tears and wear that happens...a day off out of 7 is a very, very healthy thing (for some people that means they go for a light walk and for others a bike ride...for some you need a full day off from activity).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes you are overreacting.

Your ability to maintain a caloric deficit in the long term will dictate your ability to lose weight.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're over-reacting. How it affects your weight loss depends on you.

Some people think they have to be perfect every day - and if they have one imperfect day they might as well give up. I think every day is imperfect, and the key is learning how to work with imperfection. Just do the best you can everyday. That will mean different things on different days. But overall, be aware of portion control and the types of foods you eat - and you'll do just fine.

Working out is for fitness, heart health, etc. And many 'experts' recommend taking a day off occasionally.

I'd also say you're already on your way to success. Doesn't sound like you're ready to give up!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Stay positive an over calorie day here and there won't hurt you

29509743.png
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Did what you ate fit into your calorie goal for the day and/or your weekly average? If so, then no, it won't affect your weight loss. If not, you may see a slight gain. But it doesn't sound like you ate enough to even do that. FYI, you may see an uptake on the scale if you weigh yourself in the next few days but that will likely be due water weight from the high sodium in the Chinese food. Make sure you drink plenty of water to offset.

There are no good or bad foods when it comes to weight loss, it's all about calories in vs calories out. While many do try to improve their food choices, that's more about health. Your body needs calories, especially when you're working out, to fuel that extra activity and help with healing, etc. You should also heed the advice on taking at least one rest day per week. It's not necessary to be completely inactive if that bothers you, but do something a lot less intense than your usual workout (yoga, easy walk, etc)

Edited to fix major typo