symptoms? help!

Options
Hi!
so since around January of 2014 I have been taking Senekot (8.6 mg Sennosides) every night. I'll admit, I take a to over the maximum dosage every night but, I have had horrible constipation regardless of diet my whole life.
However, I have noticed the last week and a half my weight has been up around 2.5 pounds regardless of calorie intake. In fact, people have said thatI look a lot thinner even though the scale does not show it. I have been very thirsty and my mouth and nose have a "salty" taste 24/7. my stool is loose as well, with bits of Undigested food in it (lettuce, fruit, etc.) and sometimes floats... TMI I know :) if I weigh myself after going to the bathroom the scale does not go down like it should after you poop. instead, it is either up or the same as before going to the bathroom.
anyone have any ideas of what's going on? is my body holding water from all the loose stool? Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    See a doctor would be my advice. This sounds like a lot of sudden symptoms.
  • chaarlotte289
    chaarlotte289 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    See a doctor would be my advice. This sounds like a lot of sudden symptoms.

well they haven't been ALL at once. the loose stool has been for a while, the scale and thirsty stuff has been present for 2 months or so.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Please consult your doctor.

Please also read the packet of those laxatives - most laxatives advise not to take them for more than 7 days in a row.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go see a Doctor
  • cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Don't abuse laxatives.. it will only make your constipation worse in the long run as your body becomes reliant on those drugs to work.

I CERTAINLY would NOT take stimulant laxatives such as senekot for more than a couple of days in a row. If you become uncomfortably constipated and need a little help, (aside from obviously following a healthy diet and drink lots pf water, eat small meals regularly and get adequate sleep) i would recommend to take osmotic laxatives such a lactulose or movicol. These are much more gentle on your digestive system and draw water into the bowel, making it much easier to pass stools.

Even better, syrup of figs or ortisan fruit & fibre cubes.

Please see a doctor if you are having problems or feeling unwell. Do NOT abuse laxaives. Bowel cancer is one of the UK's biggest killers. Remember that laxatives are a fairly new concept, years ago people would treat constipation naturally, with diet. It is mainly because of our diet of high sugar, carbs and processed foods that we now suffer these problems.

Live like a cave man :) lots of fresh fruit & veg... grains / pulses / lentils... fish / eggs / milk
    cut out the processed rubbish, artificial flavorings, sweeteners, preservatives... it's poison to our bodies.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Again... see your Doctor.