Having a hard time

Options
I'm having a bit of a tough time lately.
My husband works away from home, we have two young children , and my ailing mom lives with us and is in and out of doctors offices and hospitals (She has cancer and is currently dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy) . And my dog died.

I am struggling to focus and get motivated. I'm tired, feel a bit overwhelmed and am struggling to get back on track.

I've got a workout schedule that I'd like to stick to, but have to limit it to mornings while the kids are at preschool and I'm not taking my mom to appointments. I try stick under my calorie goal but sometimes my emotions get the better of me and I eat more than I intend.

Recently I got to my lowest weight in 7 years, and with all that's been going on, I've managed to maintain it, but still have a long way to go.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to stay motivated? And how to get my *kitten* back into gear?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, I know it can be so hard when there is so much going on!

Can you workout after your kids go to bed? That's the only way I can get my workouts in.

Besides that, just taking some you time once in awhile will help clear your head. Even if you just go out for a hair cut or pedicure once in awhile can help you feel more grounded.
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've considered that.
    Does working out so late interfere with your sleep? I've heard it can keep you awake .
    I can't (won't) wake earlier to do it as I already get up at 5:30am.

ETA I think after they're asleep will be my only option on weekends and on days I drive my mom around,
    Thank goodness they go to sleep early (7:30)
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you're stuck in a rut.

Have you thought about changing up your routine a little? If you are working out alone you might want to consider joining a class of some sort one day a week. Having some activity to look forward to has helped me when my motivation wanes. Or just set some time aside each week to do something a little crazy or daring. Trying something new (Have you ever done a high ropes course? Gone water skiing? Tried kickboxing?) might be enough to get you excited and motivated again.

Do something different even if it's small. You might be surprised how far it will go to get you out of your rut.
  • heidispideymfp
    Options
    I've been looking up classes but most are at inconvenient times (5:30-6:30am or 7:30-8:30pm) when io have no-one to watch the children.
    Summer is on the way and I will start swimming once the weather warms up.
    I'll keep looking , maybe a martial arts class is a good idea, to release some frustration
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Firstly, give yourself a pat on the back for maintaining with all that's going on in your life, and not just giving up.

Definitely look for a class that you could work off some frustration in - it really helps! And when its booked in and fixed in the calendar I know that I make sure it happens rather than 'go to the gym at some point today and suddenly its 10pm!' In our house Tuesday evening are my night, and I have fought hard to hang on to them since our toddler came to us, but I have, and I need that time for me. I always have a plan for that time, though it varies what it is. When I was training for a sprint triathlon it was cycling then swimming lessons, now circuit training class at gym.

I can't work out just before bed, but a couple of hours before is ok for me.

Good luck
  • heidispideymfp
    Options
    Thank you.
    I'll look around for a class that's at a decent time slot.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I've considered that.
    Does working out so late interfere with your sleep? I've heard it can keep you awake .

ETA I think after they're asleep will be my only option on weekends and on days I drive my mom around,

It doesn't keep me up. I am out and on the road by 8pm (they are in bed by 7:30) and usually done by 9. I don't go to bed until 11-12 depending on the day though so it gives me some time to shower and relax (and by relax I mean prep the next days dinner, pack lunches, fold laundry, clean up, etc! haha)
  • heidispideymfp
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
    Your tips and suggestions are all great and I'm going to thinks hard about them all.
    I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, but feel a bit better today :smile:
  • InsanityForMe
    InsanityForMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you! That is a lot on your plate. Just do one day at a time and try to be good and make time for yourself.
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    you have got so much on your plate that you need to give yourself a break. I exerciser in my living room with my TV. I have exercise DVD's and my cable offers workouts on their fitness channel that are free. I would suggest yoga after the kids go to bed. You need to nurture yourself. Can you walk the kids to preschool? walking home will give you a little time alone and keep your large muscle groups engaged.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've considered that.

It depends on the person whether or not working out later interferes with sleep. Try it and see. Some people are awake all night, and some people collapse into bed and pass out.

It sounds like you've got a rough situation, so try looking at exercise as special time for you. Listen to your favorite music and find something you enjoy doing. Is your mother too sick to watch the kids while they watch a video for an hour a couple times a week? If not, maybe you could go to a Tuesday Thursday class or something. Is there a friend you could switch kids with once in awhile? (You watch hers one night, they watch yours another.)

Eta: Sorry about your dog. That just sucks.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You've got a lot on your plate right now, these are all big things so perhaps changing your focus will help. Whenever I go through life altering events I switch my mind into maintaining how far I've gone. It's been a process that's worked for me for 14 years now and throughout that 14 years I've lost 90 pounds and am keeping it off.

A couple suggestions for staying motivated would be to keep preparing the healthy foods that you enjoy, don't go back to what's convenient but make your healthy meals a convenience. Do meal prep on a less busy day or evening so you have meals ready for the rest of the week. Not sure how old your kids are but they can help with this, give them containers and say ok dish out the same amount in each container. Have them put carrots, grapes and celery sticks in ziploc snack bags.

If you don't have a pedometer, get one. Set yourself a goal to take so many steps a day, if you're already at say 12,000 steps a day shoot for 13,000 and I promise you that you'll find a way to get that extra thousand steps. Take the workouts whenever you can get them and appreciate that time for yourself. You can also make household chores into a workout, do a few squats when you get into the bottom of the fridge, make multiple trips bringing in groceries, lunge down the hallway when putting the kids to bed and if you have stairs on occasion take them 2 at a time stretching out your legs. You might also benefit with some yoga moves, you don't need to take an actual class, there are lots of them on you tube or just get familiar with the poses and do them as you have time. If nothing else it'll help with the stress/tension in your body that you may or may not even realize is there.

You're going through a lot of things right now, don't beat yourself up for missing an hour of cardio, life happens.
    Take care!
  • angelabethb
    angelabethb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Use exercise to burn off some steam! And eating well actually puts me in a better mood. Try out some new recipes with your kids and make it into a game and a distraction. And go on a walk or bike ride with your guys! And about the working out at night time, I like doing yoga before bed. It gets me worked up and uses my muscles, but is so relaxing and puts me right to sleep!
  • Veronnie87
    Veronnie87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! That's really not an easy thing to deal with, especially with everything else you currently have going on...

I don't want to sound insensitive, because I know that not everyone is ready to love a new dog right after losing one, but I find my dog to be one of my best workout buddies. She's always ready to go, doesn't have "I'm-too-tired-to-go-running" days and her enthusiasm for being outside gets me out there more than I have ever been. Instead of stressing about fitting in workout time, taking time to power walk 3 times a day with a new dog (maybe a shelter rescue so you can better find a dog that meets your needs) might be a better fit with your life right now. I hate going to the gym but I love walking my dog! Those walks are also my time to re-group and think through some of the more difficult things that might be going on. Or get your kids out walking with you, too! That's a great way to get them outside and moving!

Also, having that unconditional doggy love and support might be a welcome break from everything else and will possibly keep your spirits up.

Just a thought. :) I hope you're in better spirits today!
  • heidispideymfp
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses
    I don't want to sound insensitive, because I know that not everyone is ready to love a new dog right after losing one, but I find my dog to be one of my best workout buddies. She's always ready to go, doesn't have "I'm-too-tired-to-go-running" days and her enthusiasm for being outside gets me out there more than I have ever been. Instead of stressing about fitting in workout time, taking time to power walk 3 times a day with a new dog (maybe a shelter rescue so you can better find a dog that meets your needs) might be a better fit with your life right now. I hate going to the gym but I love walking my dog! Those walks are also my time to re-group and think through some of the more difficult things that might be going on. Or get your kids out walking with you, too! That's a great way to get them outside and moving!

We already got a new pup 4 months before Gerry died, so I walk her daily. These are only 20 -30 minute beach walks.
    If you don't have a pedometer, get one. Set yourself a goal to take so many steps a day, if you're already at say 12,000 steps a day shoot for 13,000 and I promise you that you'll find a way to get that extra thousand steps.

I've been using my phone as a pedometer, and you're right about it motivating me to move more!
    you have got so much on your plate that you need to give yourself a break. I exerciser in my living room with my TV. I have exercise DVD's and my cable offers workouts on their fitness channel that are free. I would suggest yoga after the kids go to bed. You need to nurture yourself. Can you walk the kids to preschool? walking home will give you a little time alone and keep your large muscle groups engaged.

Unfortunately it's a 16km drive, one way.
  • heidispideymfp
    Options
    I suppose it's obvious that I don't know how to quote and reply to numerous messages in one...