help for my manfriend

Options
Hi friends,

I'm more familiar with general weight loss tips for women, but looking for some input (perhaps from men) for my lovely boyfriend. He is 6'2", 211, and has high cholesterol. The doctor did not tell him how high (and was fairly unhelpful...his advice was eat less fat, exercise, and come back to check again in 3 months) but the assumption is not very. He needs to be about 185-190. He holds literally every pound of his fat right in his belly and torso. He is fairly lean and not looking to bulk up so much as shave fat and lower that cholesterol. He has no other health issues other than some SI joint issues that no one has really been able to solve. His other health measures- blood pressure, heart rate, etc, are all fine.

Any diet tips for targeting cholesterol? Will just losing the extra fat do it or should he focus on a specific diet? I know that there is some scientific consensus that eating eggs and beef isn't really the culprit for high cholesterol that we once thought it was....

Info from people with similar experiences welcome. As a general matter, I don't think I can get him to use MFP. I will try, but he finds it too tedious so I will have to work on him.

Thanks very much!!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Is he taking medication for his high cholesterol? If so, he should be working with a qualified dietitian to create a plan to help balance his medication, exercise, and food so he could lose weight.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No no, no medication. His doctor doesn't think he needs to be on any medication.

I should add he is 32 and I finally got him to go to the doctor....last time he went was in college! Men are so stubborn about those kinds of things!
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that in order to lower cholesterol you need to eat less meat (you take in the animal's cholesterol) and more plants. A nurse told me that nuts (specifically almonds and walnuts) are great for helping to HIGHER your GOOD cholesterol.

Good luck! Unfortunately that's all I got!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    No specific experience in cholesterol management but looking at the doc's (vague but perhaps well-intended) advice:

1. Eat Less. I'd estimate your boyfriend's BMR around 2100. This is based on a 30 year old. Older would be a little lower, younger a little higher. Assume sedentary lifestyle (for lack of any other info) and that comes out around 2500. To create a deficit, eating around 2000 calories a day would be a place to start.

2. Eat less fat. This can be factored into #1 - and does not mean to avoid all fat. Some fats are better than others of course. Cooking with olive oil instead of other oils. Eating nuts/nut butters. Avocado, fish oil. Good fats as I understand it. Does not mean all others are to be outlawed, but perhaps keep fried food to the exception rather than the rule and eat leaner cuts of meat rather than fattier ones.

3. Excercise. Walking is a great place to start. Of course, finding an activity he enjoys is important - no one will stick with something they don't like. Doing some body weight, strength training will help in the long run as well.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If he is willing, he could still see a dietitian for the weight loss part. Otherwise, he needs to figure out how much food he eats and make the needed adjustment for a calorie deficiency in order to lose weight. People could be very stubborn so in those cases, the best to do is give them the information and leave them alone. If they aren't ready then pushing is going to cause problems in your relationship. Lead by example.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    When I lost the weight, my cholesterol went down.
    I had been on medication for several years, but when I started having pain in my legs, I quit my cholesterol medicine cold turkey. Probably not the way to do it, but I felt better within a week.
    That being said, as I've added back some weight (which I am again trying to lose), my cholesterol is back up…..not much, but back up.
    He might try taking fish oil supplements. When my doctor wanted to put me back on Lipitor (which had controlled my cholesterol just fine, but lead to the leg pain), I refused, and he told me to take three fish oil pills daily. It has helped even out my cholesterol.
    I'm not a doctor or anything, but this is my experience.
    Kaye
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    Thanks for the input! He does take fish oil now but I really think the biggest issue is probably the few extra pounds and about a decade of eating like a frat boy- he has a small breakfast small healthy lunch then five beers and some nachos, wings, and mozzarella sticks with his buddies at happy hour....He really just needs to break those habits.

He is already quite active and exercises about four days a week- biking, running, and some lifting. I think losing the 20lbs will probably be the trick.

Anyone heard of these new cholesterol lowering supplements that contain plant sterols and stanols? I'd never heard of that before but it has come up in all the research I've done so far.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The best thing he can do is to lose weight using a balanced, healthy diet (which includes moderate amounts of dietary fat, which can include saturated fat as well.)
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    No specific experience in cholesterol management but looking at the doc's (vague but perhaps well-intended) advice:

1. Eat Less. I'd estimate your boyfriend's BMR around 2100. This is based on a 30 year old. Older would be a little lower, younger a little higher. Assume sedentary lifestyle (for lack of any other info) and that comes out around 2500. To create a deficit, eating around 2000 calories a day would be a place to start.

2. Eat less fat. This can be factored into #1 - and does not mean to avoid all fat. Some fats are better than others of course. Cooking with olive oil instead of other oils. Eating nuts/nut butters. Avocado, fish oil. Good fats as I understand it. Does not mean all others are to be outlawed, but perhaps keep fried food to the exception rather than the rule and eat leaner cuts of meat rather than fattier ones.

3. Excercise. Walking is a great place to start. Of course, finding an activity he enjoys is important - no one will stick with something they don't like. Doing some body weight, strength training will help in the long run as well.

I'm a physician. This is what I tell my patients.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Forcefeed him Cheerios and oatmeal
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    He holds literally every pound of his fat right in his belly and torso.
    Ah yes, I have found my twin.
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Check out the Book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman (a real doctor)

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Live-Amazing-Nutrient-Rich-Sustained-ebook/dp/B0047Y175M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410447595&sr=8-1&keywords=eat+to+live

The diet is targeted primarily for people with High cholesterol. This diet did wonders to my blood numbers.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The best thing he can do is to lose weight using a balanced, healthy diet (which includes moderate amounts of dietary fat, which can include saturated fat as well.)

This - and exercise (which it sounds like he is - so keep that up)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Small changes will be easier to manage than and more realistic. If he's already active then probably 2500 calories a day in for slow/steady weight loss. (Sometimes I hate men LOL.)

Happy hour might be something he should limit to every now and then, and when he goes having less of the bar food wouldn't hurt!
    Thanks for the input! He does take fish oil now but I really think the biggest issue is probably the few extra pounds and about a decade of eating like a frat boy- he has a small breakfast small healthy lunch then five beers and some nachos, wings, and mozzarella sticks with his buddies at happy hour....He really just needs to break those habits.

He is already quite active and exercises about four days a week- biking, running, and some lifting. I think losing the 20lbs will probably be the trick.

Anyone heard of these new cholesterol lowering supplements that contain plant sterols and stanols? I'd never heard of that before but it has come up in all the research I've done so far.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Not sure where you are based, but where I am in the UK there is range of cholesteral lowering dairy products, milk, yoguhurts, butter etc, called Flora Pro-Activ. In the ad it states that it does actually lower cholesteral, but I have not tried it personaly. As well as the obvious, cutting down on high fat foods, red meat and cheese and generally things that are tasty :(
    Wish him luck, and bless you for going to the trouble of seeking advice of his behalf
  • lizarddev
    lizarddev Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    five beers and some nachos, wings, and mozzarella sticks with his buddies at happy hour....He really just needs to break those habits.
    yes these are highly contributing to the issue he has. 20 pounds is not a significant weight loss that would take care of high high cholesterol. I would get a second opinion and get the tests done correctly where they will give you a print out of the findings and understand what each one is. Then talk to the doctor or a well qualified nutritionist and determine the best outcome for his health and lifestyle. The quote above in your post is the main contributing factor so far. Bad fats oils and yeast. So you take the bad with the good. However seek a second opinion and blood tests.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    My husband got the same thing awhile back. He was eating a bag or Doritos a night and tons of beer. He cut back on both, started exercising once or twice a week (ie: not much at all) and cut out eating fast food for lunch every day. He hasn't been rechecked but has lost 15 pounds (no tracking or anything) and feels much better.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First, I'd recommend calling the docs office to request a copy of the test results. That is his medical information and he has every right to know the actual results of the testing. Trying to move forward without this info makes no sense to me... OP, I'm not saying anything negative to you or your SO - it's just that doctors like this frustrate the crap out of me.

Skipping, or at least cutting down on, the fried happy hour food should help! While saturated fats have been found to be a debatable problem with cholesterol, trans fats are still definitely part of the problem. If he's willing, maybe schedule an appointment with a nutritionist/dietician (I can never remember which is more reputable) regarding a better diet for heart health.

And while I get tracking being tedious, I'd encourage him to at least write down what he's eating so he can be more accountable and it might help poinpint where the pain points are and think about what he's willing to change. As many of us have found, once you start tracking, it can be a real eye opener to just how bad your diet is.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Since he's reluctant in the first place, don't make it harder than it has to be, woman!

If the doctor says, "Eat less fat and exercise," just eat less fat and exercise.

Don't start in on him about ridiculous stuff that doesn't matter, like we do here. He doesn't need to know his TDEE or wear a fitbit or, for heaven's sake, start weighing every bite that goes into his mouth.

Eat less fat and exercise. That's it.

And that's enough! When you begin reading labels in the grocery store, you'll see how many things have trans fat and sat fat. It's a lot. Even breadsticks and olive oil. Everything.

Cutting the red meat is a great start. Read labels.

Just what he's been told to do will be hard enough. Don't add to it, lol. :)

I wish you both luck!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    Options
    Since he's reluctant in the first place, don't make it harder than it has to be, woman!

If the doctor says, "Eat less fat and exercise," just eat less fat and exercise.

Don't start in on him about ridiculous stuff that doesn't matter, like we do here. He doesn't need to know his TDEE or wear a fitbit or, for heaven's sake, start weighing every bite that goes into his mouth.

Eat less fat and exercise. That's it.

And that's enough! When you begin reading labels in the grocery store, you'll see how many things have trans fat and sat fat. It's a lot. Even breadsticks and olive oil. Everything.

Cutting the red meat is a great start. Read labels.

Just what he's been told to do will be hard enough. Don't add to it, lol. :)

I wish you both luck!

Well, actually I would like him to live a long and healthy life. And he does already exercise quite a bit so that part is moot.

He needs healthier habits. This is a good wake up call. Trust me, this isn't hard for him. He can handle it the same way I have handled getting healthier.