Grandma's Stuffed Cabbage

Options
mrscates
mrscates Posts: 559 Member
Grandma's Stuffed Cabbage

1 head green cabbage
1 lb. ground beef, extra-lean (5% fat or less, if possible)
1 onion, pureed or minced
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar or 4 Tbsp. honey
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup brown rice, cooked

Boil the eight largest cabbage leaves for 5 minutes (or freeze the cabbage overnight and then thaw before starting). Mix beef, rice, onion, eggs, and sugar. Place two spoonfuls of the meat mixture in the middle of the largest cabbage leaf and wrap the leaf around the meat. Place seam-down in a large skillet. Repeat until all the meat is used. Add chicken stock to skillet. Spread tomatoes on top. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 2 hours. Makes 8 servings.

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours

Nutritional Information: (per serving)Calories 214 Protein 18 g Fiber 3 g
Carbs 26 g Fat Total 5 g Saturated Fat 2 g

Replies

• WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    This would be amazinnnnng with ground turkey too! >BUMP<
  • jjeckels
    Options
    I made this last night...used ground turkey instead of beef, and OMG so good. My husband had three helpings (he does not need to lose any weight, very high metab.). He kept asking what I put in it, and that it smelled so good. Maybe that's a hint that I need to cook more often...lol.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe...cheers to grandms's stuffed cabbage!!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy, how about the rest of the cabbage, why not shred some of it and mix with the ground beef while cooking the beef, and stuff it all in the leaves, would add some more bulk and taste without adding much calories,,, just a thought.
  • lisapisa1
    lisapisa1 Posts: 115
    Options
    bump
  • iian76
    iian76 Posts: 10
    Options
    bump
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it sounds yummy! Will try later.:smile:
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yum! Holubki / Golumpki!!!

Katie, you say "8 servings", but I'm curious -- how many rolls in each serving?
  • mommamo5
    Options
    My Grandma makes this for us every time she comes in town. Love it!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yum! Holubki / Golumpki!!!

Katie, you say "8 servings", but I'm curious -- how many rolls in each serving?

Whoops, I think I see that I missed the answer, right in your recipe: "Boil the eight largest cabbage leaves"...! :blushing:

So, are your stuffed cabbages about fist-sized?

Our family recipe doesn't include the sugar/honey or the eggs. But, I've never heard of it done with brown rice -- sounds like a good way to go about it!

Also, if you want a vegetarian version, try stuffing them with a mixture of cooked buckwheat groats and sauteed mushrooms, and use a little (homemade) gravy instead of the tomatoes (I just whip up a little gravy from reduced-sodium chicken stock)...!