DOES ANY1 FIND ...........

Options
Hiya guys, ive recently been doind different exercises around 4times a week. These vary from running, aqua aerobics and circuit training. I just wondered, does any1 find that the more that they exercise the hungrier they are? If so could any1 explain why, and what they do when feeling like this? thanx

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    When I feel hungry I drink 16 ounces of water and wait 15 minutes. If that goes away I was just thirsty. If im still hungry I eat a little something. Are you eating 6 meals?
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I am only hungry during the exercise, not so much after xD But this is because you are burning so many calories! you tummy is starting to get low on food :]

Like this morning: 1033 calories burned with only a 105 cal breafast (was running late) i thought my stomach was gonna eat right through my body during that last 15 minutes haha xD
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options
    That's the reason I avoid exercising in the morning - I'm STARVING all day! I exercise after work and then have dinner 2 hours later and I'm fine for the evening.

I imagine it's because you're getting your metabolism jumping with exercise and that'll make you hungry but I dont know for sure and I could be WAY off on that.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I know what you mean! My bestie and I were talking last week that ever since we've been amping up our workouts, we are ALWAYS hungry. I feel like I'm eating all day! I figure it will all balance out eventually.
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    I eat a tbsp of peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread right before a workout.... always keeps me from being hungry during a workout, then I drink a protein shake right after
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It can go either way for me. Sometimes I work out (or run several miles) and I'm starving and other times I am not even close to hungry even though it's past my dinner time.

In any event, my advice is to drink something. Some water/gatorade/chocolate milk, etc. Sometimes our thirst is confused for hunger. And then I suggest if you are still ravenous and don't have a ton of calories left, eat a boat load of veggies- if you eat enough whole, raw, natural fiberous foods you will be full before you hit your calorie limit.

On a separate note- how are you treating your exercise calories?
    HTH.
  • SandraLJohnson25
    Options
    Hi, I am the exact same way. After I exercise I feel really hungry. It's because your body has burned off the calories you already took in, therefore leaving you hungry. I try chewing gum or just find something to keep you busy. They also say to snack on almonds if you are hungry but don't want a full meal. Anyway, I hope this was some help.
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Other than drinking water I have also found that taking a multi-vitamin helps. often times you will also feel hungry if your body is beginning to suffer from deficenies. try to find one that you can take 2-3 times a day. That way you can take it with brek fast and lunch withoutr unning the risk of long term deficencies caused by the body no longer havingto store or produce what it needs.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    You're hungry because your metabolism is awake! You're burning fat stores and/or energy in the form of carbs (depending upon what type of workout you did). Water is a good filler, but you also need to listen to your body - it might be calling out for more potassium or protein, if your workout was particularly rough.
  • DianaM1020
    DianaM1020 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When you work out your metabolism increases for that day. My resting metabolic rate normally is about 1400 calories but if I work out it jumps to 2000! So your body is burning through your food much faster. Make sure you eat your exercise calories to avoid going into "Starvation mode" where your body tries to keep your fat for fuel. I usually eat about 1500-1600 calories on days that I do a good work out and 1200 on days I dont
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I find that I have no appetite after I exercise and I burn approximately 600 cals per half hour. So I find I have to force myself to eat on the 5 days that I work out. Now, on the two that are my rest days, I find I can't stop being hungry and I hate that. I'm going to try Polo's trick with the water.
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I took an early-morning Zumba class, the instructor said to make sure to eat something light but filling (oats, granola, banana, etc) before and that would help prevent the post-exercise "hunger" and binge. And drink plenty of water. Seems to work for me.
  • Jenki13
    Options
    Have complex carbs within the hour after you work out & that should replace your glycogen stores and not leave you hungry. Also include protein in the same meal to help repair the muscles.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The instructor I had for Body Pump suggested that thirst (with depleted electrolytes) could be disguised as hunger. I tried drinking water with the crystal light fitness mix-in. If after 15-20 minutes, my stomach still grumbling, I'll eat some sort of lean protein. Hope that's helpful!
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hiya guys, ive recently been doind different exercises around 4times a week. These vary from running, aqua aerobics and circuit training. I just wondered, does any1 find that the more that they exercise the hungrier they are? If so could any1 explain why, and what they do when feeling like this? thanx

yep i guess thats a good thing about eatting back calories burned lol
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I agree about drinking water. Also, you may need to do a little "soul searching" and take a good hard look @ your journal and see what you can tweak to get the most nutritional bang for your buck.

When I am eating right, I can usually stay in the 1400-1600 cals range, feel full, have energy for my workouts, and lose weight.. If I am in the heart of a training plan for a big race, I often have to bump up my calories a bit. I find that about 100 cals or so does the trick. Since it's usually carbs that I am craving, a piece of fruit or a serving of complex carbs like brown rice or a sweet potato takes care of it.