Hurricane

Options
It's that time of year again......in this area we're all on hurricane watch.

I need some help with food ideas. I'm well stocked with water etc.....but the last one that really got us in the area I'm in was hurricane Rita. I was without power for 12 days, 100 degree heat....ugh, my stomach turns now at the thought of anything even thinking about coming towards the Louisiana coastline!!!

Back to my problem.....when Rita came through I'd stocked up on things like Dinty Moore beef stews, things like that and within two days I was blown up like a puffer fish from sodium intake. So instead of sleeping last night I laid awake worrying and trying to make a healtheir non perishable foods list.

I have things like Kashi bars, canned fruit in light syrup, peanut butter, on my list, but what can I buy that would feed us an evening "meal" that is non perishable.

If things turned out like they did last time for me, a big group of us would get together in the evening to cook our food that is quickly thawing in our freezers....do you know how much Hamburger Helper I made during Rita?????? That stuff is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!! So I'd like to stay away from it and get some ideas from all of you.

Anyway....any ideas and prayers would be appreciated.

Replies

• mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's that time of year again......in this area we're all on hurricane watch.

I need some help with food ideas. I'm well stocked with water etc.....but the last one that really got us in the area I'm in was hurricane Rita. I was without power for 12 days, 100 degree heat....ugh, my stomach turns now at the thought of anything even thinking about coming towards the Louisiana coastline!!!

Back to my problem.....when Rita came through I'd stocked up on things like Dinty Moore beef stews, things like that and within two days I was blown up like a puffer fish from sodium intake. So instead of sleeping last night I laid awake worrying and trying to make a healtheir non perishable foods list.

I have things like Kashi bars, canned fruit in light syrup, peanut butter, on my list, but what can I buy that would feed us an evening "meal" that is non perishable.

If things turned out like they did last time for me, a big group of us would get together in the evening to cook our food that is quickly thawing in our freezers....do you know how much Hamburger Helper I made during Rita?????? That stuff is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!! So I'd like to stay away from it and get some ideas from all of you.

Anyway....any ideas and prayers would be appreciated.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    What about some healthy soups? Lower sodium and calorie, like a chicken and veggie one. Canned fruits and veggies in light or no syrup - I know they are not preferred over fresh, but if you're talking about an emergency situation, it's better than a Dinty Moore stew! :laugh:
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    I'd keep a supply of Atkins shakes and bars or SlimFast shakes and bars, V8 veggie and V8 fruit. It's easy and no cleanup to worry about. If you have kids, you might want to keep some Tropicana singles as well. When it's hot, the best thing to keep is lots of liquids, I think! Best of luck and we'll all be praying for your safety! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Marti in Kentucky
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    beans of any sort, just check to see that they aren't drenched in sodium!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Heya mello; Ezzie and I are American Red Cross volunteers, and went down to Mississippi after Katrina :happy: Being northerners from northern MI, it was an eye opening experience for us, the heat, the humidity, the bugs, the snakes, you know. :noway:
    So two things we learned, first, make sure you have LOTS of clorox! Really! Why, to use in a 10:1 ratio to spray down walls, ceillings, anything, to kill the mold. When we got back home, I had a persistent cough, that the doc said was from mold (?).
    Secondly, and here's the real answer to your question.... MRE's! Really, MRE's are a life saver! The key is to get the military one's, NOT the junkie little truck driver ones. If you are without power for a few days, believe me, you will be burning enough calories that you actually will NEED a good meal, and the MRE is the way to go. Ezzie and I still have some in our basement (no, no 'canes up here, but we do get the occasional blizzard from the North Pole, really). They have a good variety, and taste fine. And nutritionally they do a good job as well. Plus, they last just about forever too.
    So there ya go hun, stock up on both, and keep in touch. Hey, who knows, maybe we'll get deployed down your way after Gustav? ...runs and ducks for cover...
  • mello
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas all!! I actually had to go and do some work after positng so I just was able to come back and log in again.

i'm going shopping tonight.....hope it's for naught but I'd rather have my purchases made before they have to start directing traffic at the local walmart!!!!!

jamerz....MREs....I actually do have some but they are a "I'm hungry and don't have anything else to eat" kind of thing. They are great as far as non perishable goes but man they are calorie heavy!!!! *LOL* Humidity, snakes, bugs etc are a problem on a good day in the summer here in LA,but throw no power into the mix and it's MISERABLE...but hey, it's home so no complaints.

again, thanks!!
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    First of all, your in my prayers
    Second how about tuna in the pouches...or oatmeal in the cups,
    If I think of anymore will let you know
    take care Zoe
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 pounds during Katrina. I think it was from sweating buckets though. (also the exercise of debris clean up)
    You have the tools to make better choices for yourself. Main thing if it comes your way (praying it doesn't) you do need to make sure you eat and drink plenty of liquids. Don't worry too much about things being too high in calories. You don't want to end up being depleted at a time like that.

And Jamerz...Thank you and Ezzie for volunteering in my homestate! My momma is still in Biloxi MS and it is getting better every day. The people down there are so very grateful for people like you that came to our aid. God Bless you!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh wow! Mello you be safe girl!!!

I think the suggestions you got were great....plenty of water....some fiber one bars would be good too...you have to try the new strawberry chocolate almond one....its not too sweet and good for breakfast.....I think the beans is a good choice you could mix beans w/ a can of corn and have a nice little salad thing going on w/ plenty of fiber! or eat it w/ tortillas....mmmm

I just want you safe and sound and keep us posted if you can....big hugs and prayers your way honey!

:heart:
    Ali
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Mello, I forgot you were another Louisianian!! I'm in Baton Rouge and i was just thinking I need to get to the store and get my groceries.

Do you have a generator?
    That way you can at least keep your fridge plugged in. During Katrina we did alot of Bar b que, have your propane tanks full and charcoal handy. Buy some healthy chicken breasts and have them marinating, go ahead and fill up gallon zip locks full of water and freeze them so you can use them in ice chests to keep food cool if your electricity does go out.

If you have propane and a burner you can pretty much cook anything (and most of us has those for crawfish boils!!) LOL
    Keep us posted!
    The one bad thing if we lose electricity.................... No MFP!!!! lol :sad:
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    I stocked up on canned fruit and veggies, all different kinds for a variation. We also bought a few of those hard salami sticks that like last forever, yes they do have a lot of sodium, but I think you can find some that are healthier. But there are different types of low fat crackers too.

We also go for the low-sodium soups, stews, raviolli's and chili's. I also make sure I get oranges and other hard skinned fruit, because they last better in the heat.

One really easy thing to do, to break up the monotany, is to buy flavored packets for the water, that in itself helps.

My husband and I also have a case of MRE's, which are so high in calories you wouldn't believe it. But if worse came to worse, one would last an entire day.
  • cre13
    cre13 Posts: 68
    Options
    I live in Coastal North Carolina so I know exactly what you are going through. Although it's been a couple of years since a major storm hit our coastline. I saw this morning that Gustav is really looking like a dangerous storm and going straight into the gulf... keep an eye out for it, girl and be safe! I'll be thinking of you!! :flowerforyou:

I just can't imagine what that area must look like now. I lived in Biloxi for a few months back in the fall of 1999 and LOVED it there. It's so beautiful... it is so sad to me that so many of those beautiful homes along the beach were damaged or destroyed. :sad:

-Chirleen
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hello Mello,

I lived through Andrew on FL East coast only to years later meet Charlie first hand here on the West Coast. Having lost power for days with no generator...I bar-b-qued everything I had that was in the fridge or freezer. Then I put it into coolers that were filled with frozen water bottles and ice packs. I had one cooler just for gallons of milk. Parents can help ease the fright of a hurricane for their kids and show all is right with the world if the kids can at least have cereal with milk in the morning. Disposable plastic bowls and spoons are OK after a hurricane due to shortage of clean water to drink and wash dishes.

Here is one of my "Hurricane" dinners:

I stock lots of canned chopped clams, linguine, extra large canned preseasoned Italian tomatoes in juice, canned broth, olive oil, garlic powder, and dried italian seasonings. Top with canned parmesan...heat pita bread on the grill, a few drops of olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder.

Are you feeling me Mello? Yes....you CAN make 1/2 lb of linguine and clam sauce on a bar b que grill in one extra large and deep metal frying pan or pot. No need to boil the pasta seperately...once the liquid is boiling...just add it in slowly while stirring gently, add canned broth a little at a time as needed to keep it very wet. The starch from the pasta thickens the sauce just a little which is fine. I always reserve the clams while the rest cooks and then add at the last minute to keep them from getting tough. My youngest actually loves linguine and clam sauce now and I think Hurricane Charlie was the first time he ever had it!

If salt is an issue buy only low sodium broth, tomatoes, and omit the canned parmesan cheese.

For me pasta is a comfort food...and when things get rough... a HOT meal is in order.

Hope this helps. Stay dry my friend.

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

~Mi
  • mello
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the ideas. I'd never have thought about linguine/canned clams!!!! And salami and no salt or lower sodium crackers....thanks.

It's a long way out, I'm just one of millions in the cone of error, but I want to be prepared, not wait till this weekend to get what's needed.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Oh I remember Katrina. My son was in New Orleans. I lost weight cuz I couldnt eat anything. Once he was home, I made up for lost time.

Peanut butter, low sodium soups.

My friend makes a big batch of homemade, LF soup and freezes it. it helps 2 ways-keeps freezer cold and then soup for everyone!