Does Yoga helps in Weight loss

Hello Friends I found many people saying yoga is a great practice to be fit, but I'M confused that does YOGA really helps in Weight losss,
I tried Yoga but it dosen't helps in weight loss.

Please share your suggestions here does YOGA workes for you ?

Replies

• smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Calorie deficit helps with weight loss.

Yoga can help create a calorie deficit, but just laying in savasana for 10 minutes doesn't. Calorie burns vary depending on style and intensity of practice, but most don't come close to what you get from a good cardio, HIIT, or lifting session. I tend to use yoga as a supplement rather than count on it.
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    if you are working hard and burning calories, of course it will help with weight loss--I do yoga!

You also need to be eating right and not eating more calories than you are burning in one day. Yoga will not help with weight loss if you are eating very poorly!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    By itself, probably not. Yoga doesn't burn that many calories so just doing yoga with no diet changes is probably not enough for weightloss. It's possible to eat so much that even with exercising you can continue to gain weight. You have to be at a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    By itself, probably not. Yoga doesn't burn that many calories so just doing yoga with no diet changes is probably not enough for weightloss. It's possible to eat so much that even with exercising you can continue to gain weight. You have to be at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

This!^

Yoga is a great addition to your weight loss regimen. I don't do any kind of yoga that burns lots of calories.....I use cardio for that. But yoga can be relaxing and calming (think cortisol level). Also, yoga makes you more aware of and in-tune with your body.
  • deearess
    deearess Posts: 28 Member
    I went to my first yoga class in years last night. I was never regular at it so I found it quite a challenge. I'm curious though...does it make anybody else super hungry? I'm ravenous today.

ETA: that connected to the original question in my head. Thinking - If it makes you extra hungry, it will not help create a deficit. I still think in an overall fitness plan, it's a good idea and I look forward to the increased flexibility and strength it can bring.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    there are people who believe that practising yoga makes you more mindful of what you eat etc.

It does give you a lot more flexiblity, help you sleep better, make your muscles lovely, long and lean.

I tried Ashtanga yoga for the first time a few months ago, having always done more static yoga, and that is hard work!! I don't go to the class anymore but I think if I'd kept it up I would have lost weight.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Compared to lying on your couch, getting up and going someplace & moving definitely burns more calories.
    Compared to snacking at night, taking a class definitely burns more calories!
  • DragonflyBoudica
    DragonflyBoudica Posts: 28 Member
    I don't count yoga as a calorie burn on mfp exercise calorie burn list because the little bit of it that I do daily doesn't actually burn much & I only want to count exercises that burn more calories- so I'll push myself & work hard to reach my fitness goals.
    I use yoga to warm up & cool down for a few minutes before & after all of my types of exercising including weight lifting, running, pushups, sits, pull ups, swimming, walking, etc.... I count my other exercises on the mfp exercise. Losing fat means calorie deficit, eating healthy, & working out regularly.
    I use yoga to stretch, warm up & cool down, balance, tone, flexibility, have body awareness, & to simply relax- this lowers cortisol levels which helps decrease tummy fat. So it does help. Yoga also helps me get into the mood to do my other exercises. Yoga is great for everybody. I've started learning tai chi recently & it seems that way also. yoga & tai chi, slower mindful movements help balance to more strenuous movements. yoga & tai chi teach us to maintain proper spine alignment throughout the day & in other exercises.
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Compared to lying on your couch, getting up and going someplace & moving definitely burns more calories.
    Compared to snacking at night, taking a class definitely burns more calories!

exactly what I was going to say :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    ANY physical activity will help will calorie expenditure, but weight loss is going to boil down to how much you consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    There are many benefits to yoga and weight loss is one of them. It's just a small piece of the pie. You need the other parts as well to reach your goals. Cardio, eating clean, weight training, yoga, stretching are all part of the pie. i've been teaching aerobics for almost 20 years. i currently teach some beginner yoga classes to help people get started on a healthy path. Yoga is physical and mental. There are many different levels of yoga, same as cardio so you will benefit something different in each class. Being able to clear your mind and control your thoughts will help reconnect with your innerself, allowing you to make better choices for yourself and your health, Higher levels of yoga, like Hot Yoga is very physically challenging. Yoga helps with flexibility and your own body weight strength, which helps in daily activities, exercise, metabolism, and overall feeling better. Yoga is beneficial in many ways
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    1 answer.

PiYo.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Yoga is best at helping to reshape/recompose the body--it has the potential to burn a ton of calories (see: hot/bikram yoga), but most forms are generally not considered weight loss exercises. It is, however, great at gaining flexibility, mobility, stamina, strength, and other things that enhance other areas of exercise and life. And not for nothing, I always break a sweat when I do it. Plus, it can be very grounding and therapeutic. There are many, many benefits to practicing, and they don't just include transforming the physical body.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    It truly depends on what style yoga you do. Bikram will kick your *kitten* right into shape. I love Bikram, but the only studio near me is a half hour away by bike, so I moved to a Hot Vinyasa yoga, which is just as active. Because Vinyasa has a slower end portion I don't log the last 15min of any class I take. For example, if it's 1h15m, I will only log 1hr.
  • I do some yoga first thing in the morning to help warm me up for the day. Not enough that its going to torch calories but it helps flexibility and gets me to move.