Interesting new study on "food addiction"

Options

Replies

• eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The term "food-addiction" is being used more and more nowadays.

Of course it is. By playing the addict card people don't have to accept responsibility for their actions. Over eating is a lack of self control.

Wow. This is the kind of sensitive, enlightened outlook I come to the threads for. ps, that was sarcasm. WHY do we lack control is the issue we're grappling with. You just leave the thinking to us.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking was MUCH harder for me than not overeating. I went cold turkey and remember a lot of it like it was yesterday, even what the room looked lie, where papers were on the desk as I looked around, semi-frantic about what I'd do right now instead of smoking.

Years later, I picked it back up while my mother was dying. The second time was a little easier, since I'd done it before and knew what to expect, how long it would last, what the benefits would be. The second time was a lot like beginning a more strict diet.

But my first time quitting, Holy Crap. Other than watching my parents die, that was the hardest thing I ever did.

But I liked my cigarettes much more than food. It has a lot of drawbacks, but smoking is pleasurable.
  • Summerfit321
    Summerfit321 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I'd put it somewhat differently, as I'm not sure it's a continuum. I suspect that most people who are overweight (a huge number in post industrial societies, after all) aren't addicted in this sense at all. One reason I push against that term is that I think some are anxious to put it out there as the reason for a problem with overweight and obesity, and I think there are much simpler reasons, like that food is tasty, it's very available, we have a natural desire for it, and historically less reason to have developed genetic defenses against overeating, and we are inactive compared to even very recent history. Also, again, I don't think addiction is simply "oh, this is good, so more is better" or a human difficulty in weighing short term vs. long term. I think it's more like, well, what you talked about above.

I was saying that the reasons for being overweight are very different from person to person: not that all oveweight people are a bit addicted to food. Some people simply have a caloric excess for a long period of time. I have a family member who recently lost a lot of weight through changing eating habits, but she has never binged a day in her life. This used to be me too: I had never binged until several years ago.
    I now on the other hand, tend to shove food down in a matter of hours, usually one or two: my worst was about 6000 kcal in that time, and this is how I gain weight. Someone who drinks for fun or to relax in the evening, doesnt have a problematic relationship with food. Someone who binges on the weekends is a bit like that person who overeats on certain occasions, and then the alchoholic is a bit like the person who has a compulsion to overeat night after night and craves the relief... well that's how I see it.
    Anyway, I do plan on seeing a therapist soon about this. Posting this topic and reading all these posts has been quite therapeutic, actually: it's made me take a step back and look at myself, how I feel, what I'm doing :smile:
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Excellent. And thank you.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Of course it is. By playing the addict card people don't have to accept responsibility for their actions. Over eating is a lack of self control.

Wow. This is the kind of sensitive, enlightened outlook I come to the threads for. ps, that was sarcasm. WHY do we lack control is the issue we're grappling with. You just leave the thinking to us.

I would be happy to discuss some of the many reasons why we lack self control. however if you think your thinking is superior and want to be in charge of who gets a say so I am willing and eager to hear your views on the subject.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    I bealive you answered my question when you said " you stop putting the food in your mouth ". That would be self control in all it's glory.

I never said such. Perhaps you should reread my response, because that's not at all what i said, and if anything quite the contrary.

I'll have to disagree with you, simply because i choose to believe in science/empirical evidence over observation, and because quite frankly i'm more inclined to believe that professors/researchers have a better understanding of what they're talking about than you do (unless you're licensed in an area of neurology/behavioral sciences/medicine/etc. and neglected to bring up such, or could provide me with convincing evidence otherwise).

Please then - tell me when you decided to not have a food addiction, since this is a choice? Please tell me exactly what time every morning you wake up, and decide to not have Anorexia, Bulimia, OSFED, BED, PICA, MDD, BDD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, BPD, PPD, and all other mental health conditions - even those that i didn't list above and i'm 99.999% sure you've never heard of and therefore cannot consciously choose to will away?

Surely if this is "all just a choice" you should share the wealth, eh? If you have it all figured out, wheres a book or research article to back up such? Do you - or a reputable source - have anything published about how eating disorders boil down to a matter of self control?

Until you are able to bring a source, i'm not going to respond because quite frankly i don't see the point. I don't see the point in having a conversation about illogical perspectives, for if that was the case i'd be wasting my time arguing with people about evolution - something that has long been proved yet many people still don't believe.
    It could be (and has been) argued that people make the choice to hang on to their eating disorder every day. If you do not seek help, you're choosing to have it.

People don't choose to get them, but they choose to keep them.

^This is all i've been trying to say this entire time - that people cannot control whether or not they have these disorders, and that people shouldn't dismiss them ignorantly as 'matters of self control'. I 150% agree - whether or not you pursue recovery is something you have control over (as is harm reduction if you don't chose to recover), but you don't control whether or not this is something you struggle with. :/

Have you read the theories about Anorexia and serotonin? They're pretty convincing - at least, the documentary from Britain (i think it was Britain if i remember correctly....it's been a while since i read up on it) was, and it had a lot of evidence to support it's claims. I believe it was mentioned in the documentary called 'Living on Air' or something along those lines? Anyways, i personally believe that all eating disorders - as well as mental/neurological disorders - are caused by neurological abnormalities. I understand if people don't agree with me on that as there are various theories for mental illness, but to chalk it up to 'self control'? That's just flat out absurd.

Of course i'll also acknowledge that there are plenty of things we - as human beings/as people of our time are not close to grasping - but, referring to think analytically about things for that reason wouldn't really get us anywhere, would it? Besides. This is exactly why the concept of theories exists within the field of science. :)
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people confuse binge eating disorder with an addiction to food.

As someone who is going through the withdrawals, cravings and emotional pain caused by quitting smoking, I can honestly tell you that anyone who claims food addiction is a ridiculous person. Compulsion and addiction are not the same.

You seem to be projecting your own personal situation onto others. I know a few people who say it was easier to stop smoking than to stop overeating.

I quit a 13+ year pack a day smoking habit 5 years ago. It was extremely hard. It took me several tries before I was successful.
    But for me personally (I am ONLY speaking for myself, not trying to generalize), my overeating issues have been much, much more difficult to overcome.
    I have major issues with overeating. I eat to comfort myself, I eat to celebrate, I eat when I'm sad, stressed, really happy. I use my emotions as an excuse to overeat. I use food to help ease the pain/discomfort of whatever I'm dealing with. It's something that I am fully aware of, but it's been extremely hard to get a handle on it permanently.
    I agree that at the end of the day, it is about self control. But for someone like me, I don't think it should be brushed off as a self control issue only and left at that. There are so many things going on behind the scenes causing the overeating (emotionally, mentally)...it's just more complicated than that.

I agree with you. Some people have a much harder time with food issues than others. I am one of those people. But, I would never, ever say I am "addicted" to food, because I have known real addiction. Eating disorder, emotional eating, compulsive snacking, food as a coping mechanism, call it whatever you like. It is not an "addiction." People like to use that word because it invalidates some of their guilt. Everyone would like to think they are powerless when it comes to food. No one wants to admit that it's their fault. I am not one of the people saying "just get a little self control and suck it up!" I know how hard it is. I am just saying, you're not addicted to food.
  • levitateme
    Options
    Quitting smoking was MUCH harder for me than not overeating. I went cold turkey and remember a lot of it like it was yesterday, even what the room looked lie, where papers were on the desk as I looked around, semi-frantic about what I'd do right now instead of smoking.

Years later, I picked it back up while my mother was dying. The second time was a little easier, since I'd done it before and knew what to expect, how long it would last, what the benefits would be. The second time was a lot like beginning a more strict diet.

But my first time quitting, Holy Crap. Other than watching my parents die, that was the hardest thing I ever did.

But I liked my cigarettes much more than food. It has a lot of drawbacks, but smoking is pleasurable.

I'm 9 days cold turkey and am having trouble thinking and functioning like a normal person. I don't think I've ever said anything like that about abstaining from cookies.

EDIT: pressed enter too quickly because my brain seriously doesn't work right anymore, lol.

But yeah, quitting a physically addictive substance is a lot harder than eating less. Part of the issue is that people don't know what triggers their eating problems because it isn't as simple as blaming it on chemical dependency. Is it stress? Past trauma? The taste of the food itself (chips, cookies)? The feeling of being stuffed? I know alllllll of this was part of what made me binge eat. It's something everyone has to figure out for themselves and it seems daunting, too hard.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people confuse binge eating disorder with an addiction to food.

As someone who is going through the withdrawals, cravings and emotional pain caused by quitting smoking, I can honestly tell you that anyone who claims food addiction is a ridiculous person. Compulsion and addiction are not the same.

You seem to be projecting your own personal situation onto others. I know a few people who say it was easier to stop smoking than to stop overeating.

I quit a 13+ year pack a day smoking habit 5 years ago. It was extremely hard. It took me several tries before I was successful.
    But for me personally (I am ONLY speaking for myself, not trying to generalize), my overeating issues have been much, much more difficult to overcome.
    I have major issues with overeating. I eat to comfort myself, I eat to celebrate, I eat when I'm sad, stressed, really happy. I use my emotions as an excuse to overeat. I use food to help ease the pain/discomfort of whatever I'm dealing with. It's something that I am fully aware of, but it's been extremely hard to get a handle on it permanently.
    I agree that at the end of the day, it is about self control. But for someone like me, I don't think it should be brushed off as a self control issue only and left at that. There are so many things going on behind the scenes causing the overeating (emotionally, mentally)...it's just more complicated than that.

I agree with you. Some people have a much harder time with food issues than others. I am one of those people. But, I would never, ever say I am "addicted" to food, because I have known real addiction. Eating disorder, emotional eating, compulsive snacking, food as a coping mechanism, call it whatever you like. It is not an "addiction." People like to use that word because it invalidates some of their guilt. Everyone would like to think they are powerless when it comes to food. No one wants to admit that it's their fault. I am not one of the people saying "just get a little self control and suck it up!" I know how hard it is. I am just saying, you're not addicted to food.

I don't disagree with you. I've never said I was addicted to food.
  • levitateme
    Options

I don't disagree with you. I've never said I was addicted to food.

I know you didn't, I'm just trying to throw that out there as a general "hey everyone, even though I don't think you're addicted to food, I'm not downplaying issues with over eating/binge eating." :smile: I'm at work and can't read the whole thread.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I'm 9 days cold turkey and am having trouble thinking and functioning like a normal person. I don't think I've ever said anything like that about abstaining from cookies.

EDIT: pressed enter too quickly because my brain seriously doesn't work right anymore, lol.

But yeah, quitting a physically addictive substance is a lot harder than eating less. Part of the issue is that people don't know what triggers their eating problems because it isn't as simple as blaming it on chemical dependency. Is it stress? Past trauma? The taste of the food itself (chips, cookies)? The feeling of being stuffed? I know alllllll of this was part of what made me binge eat. It's something everyone has to figure out for themselves and it seems daunting, too hard.
    The quitting will start seeming much easier very soon.

Then you will periodically - sometimes out of nowhere - have intense and overpowering urges to smoke. Just when you think you're out, it pulls you back in. :) Be ready for that.

And remember to say NOPE! Not One Puff Ever.

The reason I picked it back up was that my mother was being kept alive by machines and there was lots of family drama over when to stop them, relatives arriving and weighing in, tempers flaring. I had to be the calm in the storm and it was getting rough, so I stopped by a friend's house to chat and decided to have one of her cigarettes. Just one. Just to calm my nerves.

In a matter of days, I was back into a pack a day.

NOT ONE PUFF EVER. Don't ever start again. No matter what. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I was saying that the reasons for being overweight are very different from person to person: not that all oveweight people are a bit addicted to food.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood and actually agree.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    People are confusing "simple" and "easy."

Weight loss is, for healthy people, VERY simple. Eat less and/or exercise more. Simple.

Not necessarily easy.

Even weight loss is not that simple for everyone.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    This part of the article, in particular, sums up my feeling on food addiction.
    The scientists said it was a behavioural disorder and could be categorised alongside conditions such as a gambling addiction.

They suggested tackling the problem of obesity should be moved away from food itself and instead focussed on the individual's relationship with eating.

This sums up my thoughts on it as well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I don't understand this train of thought. What "guilt" should those trying to lose weight feel that someone smoking shouldn't? Do you think that your smoking wasn't your fault because you were addicted? That overeating is a choice and smoking is not?
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I think "lack of self control" is over simplifying things. People over eat for many different reasons.

For me...I had to take a look at why I over ate...why allowed myself to become over weight...before I could fix it. Being honest with myself about those reasons is why I have been able to lose as much as I have and not quitting when it gets tough.

I will say this...food became my "new best friend". It was there for me when I felt like nothing else was...it also allowed me to hide behind a wall of fat. Some would say that I had good reason to hide...I look back now...it wasn't...but it was easier than the other alternative.

Not sure that self control had anything to do with it...

I agree with you. It's not a lack of "self control". In fact, there have been studies that show that "self control" or "will power" are not factors in losing weight long-term. It's a complex issue with complex solutions. Some people think in black and white, though....

I have a nephew that craved attention from his mother as a child. When he over ate...he got that attention. He was made to feel special by how much he could eat. Today...he is a 300+ pound man.

It wasn't a lack of self control...food masked the real problems that he had.

This is why I think that many of us have to face the issues that caused our lives to get so out of control...that we turned to the one thing that would give us pleasure and what we needed.

Even now...after having lost 80lbs...I still have to deal with the issues that I had in life. If I don't acknowledge those issues...i will be right back where I started.

I am not saying that for some people that it is not just a lack of self control...I just believe that for some...it goes much further than that.

All these things you mention are true and valid things that lead to over eating as they can easily overcome a persons self control. But at the end of the day....... Self control is what keeps the fork out of your mouth.

i agree with the others that say you are being oversimplistic.

Of course I am being simpilistic , I am trying to convey a complex issue on a Internet forum.

Make no mistake about it though, there is nothing simple with recognizing self control gaining self control applying self control, keeping self control or understanding self control. Kinda like we use the mantra of calorie in vrs calorie burned around here. A simplification of a complex event. Go hang out with a bunch of addicts, ok well maybe former addicts and they will reapeat the self control mantra. It isn't simple and it sure as hell isn't easy.

Oops, that cut me off. Just wanted to agree with this ^^^ I was an addict (not food) for the same reason I ended up overweight, not because I didn't have any self control, but because I chose not to exercise any self control over my behavior!
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    There is a term called "pairing." I think food addiction is actually the result of pairing. We associate certain emotions (or all emotions) with some type of food and as the behavior gets more and more consolidated, it gets harder to kick.

But it can be changed.

totally agree with this^^^ I think many overweight people (especially obese) pair food with an emotion or some aspect of their lives that are not fulfilled in healthy ways. This is why so many times you see the "emotional outbursts" of the people on shows like Biggest Loser. They have an unhealthy relationship with food either from some tragic event that the food has helped to fill or some emotion they grew up lacking which again the food has filled for them.

Like the poster that stated thier nephew associated food with attention from his mother- the same happened to my brother- he would get attention from our entire family- mom, dad, grandparents over how much he could eat- which led to him being a severely obese pre-teen and into his teen years and now he is a grown man suffering from years of bulemia - yes males are bulemic too.

I have experienced the same- I did not develop bulemia but am obese because I associate food with love, family, and entertainment- mostly because it is what I experienced growing up. The only time my family would spend time together was when we would eat or actually go out to eat- so I learned to associate food with good emotions. Which then developed into filling other good emotions I was lacking in my life- love, freindship, etc. I am learning to change this and am successful so far- but I had to acknowledge this first and find out why I had this relationship with food. I dont agree with the self control statement- as I dont think you can control yourself unless you are taught to do so (especially if you learned a behavior- see studies on children of alchoholics, abusers, and smokers and thier likelyhood of following thier parents footsteps with these addictions)- control is not an instinct everyone has but is rather a learned behavior- which is why so many suffer from addiction. The brain wants these chemicals especially when there is an imbalance and will get the balance in any way that it can which is why we experience cravings- even for food.

Just my opinion and based on my personal experience
  • blukitten
    Options
    No shame is asking for or receiving help to accomplish your goals.
    100% agree...
    Pretty sure that is why most of us are at MFP.
    ...But not so sure about that one.

I didn't mean to imply all here are asking for help. Just that MFP and the community are tools to help use achieve our goals.
    But help and support is certainly here and available to those that seek it.

Agree with this ^^^
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    There is a term called "pairing." I think food addiction is actually the result of pairing. We associate certain emotions (or all emotions) with some type of food and as the behavior gets more and more consolidated, it gets harder to kick.

But it can be changed.

totally agree with this^^^ I think many overweight people (especially obese) pair food with an emotion or some aspect of their lives that are not fulfilled in healthy ways. This is why so many times you see the "emotional outbursts" of the people on shows like Biggest Loser. They have an unhealthy relationship with food either from some tragic event that the food has helped to fill or some emotion they grew up lacking which again the food has filled for them.

Like the poster that stated thier nephew associated food with attention from his mother- the same happened to my brother- he would get attention from our entire family- mom, dad, grandparents over how much he could eat- which led to him being a severely obese pre-teen and into his teen years and now he is a grown man suffering from years of bulemia - yes males are bulemic too.

I have experienced the same- I did not develop bulemia but am obese because I associate food with love, family, and entertainment- mostly because it is what I experienced growing up. The only time my family would spend time together was when we would eat or actually go out to eat- so I learned to associate food with good emotions. Which then developed into filling other good emotions I was lacking in my life- love, freindship, etc. I am learning to change this and am successful so far- but I had to acknowledge this first and find out why I had this relationship with food. I dont agree with the self control statement- as I dont think you can control yourself unless you are taught to do so (especially if you learned a behavior- see studies on children of alchoholics, abusers, and smokers and thier likelyhood of following thier parents footsteps with these addictions)- control is not an instinct everyone has but is rather a learned behavior- which is why so many suffer from addiction. The brain wants these chemicals especially when there is an imbalance and will get the balance in any way that it can which is why we experience cravings- even for food.

I agree with pairing being a real and true connection to substances. And like you I love food, family and entertainment. I especially love the feeling dopamine gives me when I pleasure my brain. I have had to work through my own pairings so I know all about them.
    So my question to you is, once a person has done what ever they have to do to come to terms with their pairing. Now what do I do to keep the fork out of my mouth ?
  • blukitten
    Options

But it can be changed.

I agree with pairing being a real and true connection to substances. And like you I love food, family and entertainment. I especially love the feeling dopamine gives me when I pleasure my brain. I have had to work through my own pairings so I know all about them.
    So my question to you is, once a person has done what ever they have to do to come to terms with their pairing. Now what do I do to keep the fork out of my mouth ?

That was part of what I maybe didnt make clear- learning to deal with your "pairings" is learning self control or why you lack it in the first place so that you can control yourself around whatever your addiction is