Office Exercise?

Options
I work in an office 9 - 5 so it's not always easy to exercise (i know.. excuses, excuses) but I'm anemic so most days by the time I'm home all I want to do is sleep!

Is there any subtle exercising you can do while at your desk or in the office just to keep the metabolism going and maximize burn throughout the day? I do walk half way and get the bus the other half to and from work but it's not always enough..

Replies

• ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you have a stairwell in your building you can go up and down stairs. I've also heard of people doing wall push ups, squats, other body exercises in the bathroom stalls at work - get your workout in a little privacy!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Is there any subtle exercising you can do while at your desk or in the office just to keep the metabolism going

Doing nothing or taking a nap would keep the metabolism going, although it would likely get you fired.
  • llpttp38
    llpttp38 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I understand you, I work in an office as well. I walk on my breaks and on my lunch as well when its nice outside, Heres a site to check out hope it helps.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/exercise-at-work/5-easy-exercises-to-do-at-work.htm
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I take walks on my morning breaks. It's not a lot, but it's something. When I worked in a building with stairs, I took the stairs every time I had to go from floor to floor (and I walked every break, so I'd use the stairs down and up each time, and to and from the lunch room). At your desk, you could use ankle weights, and move your legs up and down. I also have one of those little cycle things where it's just the pedals. I can't use it at this job, but at other ones I've been able to. Just put it under your desk and pedal through the day.
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If your office will allow it, you could get an exercise ball to sit on at your desk instead of a chair. Keeping yourself balanced properly will continuously work your core.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I sometimes do leg lifts in my chair.
    Standing up at your desk and doing toe raises (not what they're actually called, but I'm drawing a blank), where you stand up, then go to your toes then back to your feet - repeat as many times as necessary.
    Butt clenches (don't laugh)
    Get up and walk to the next cube to deliver a message instead of calling or emailing
    take the stairs
    Park farther away from the office to get a couple of extra steps in before and after work

I also stretch a LOT, and it seems to really help with the 'office malaise'.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Push up, Squats, Planks at your desk during your break time.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Don't forget strength training, too. I keep a resistance band in my office. Shut the door and exercise with it for about 15 minutes a day.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do anything to keep your metabolism running other than be alive. Your metabolism is ALWAYS running, even when you're asleep.

Do you have your own office with a door? If so, it's easy to get in some exercise. I work out at 5AM, but since I sit on my butt for most of the day at work, I like to do 10-15 minutes of cardio/bodyweight stuff just to make myself feel like less of a lazy bum. In other words, I don't do it for the calorie burn. I just close my door when my lunch hour starts and do one of the five "routines" I've designed - Monday is cardio/abs, Tuesday is cardio kickboxing, Wednesday is a little mix of random stuff, Thursday is just a basic HIIT-style cardio routine, and Friday is a mix-up of fast and slow cardio intervals I got from FitnessBlender. Anything that can be done in a small space, because my office is tiny.

If you don't have an office, walking up and down stairs at lunch would work. As for things you can do at your desk - http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/02/06/the-10-best-exercises-to-do-at-your-desk/

I've also heard of people doing squats in the bathroom stall. I'd suggest only doing this if no one else is in the bathroom with you, though.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I work 8:30-5:30 most days....including usually working through lunch (I just eat at my desk)....and then I work anywhere from 2-4 hours at home at least one evening a week. Plus my commute time (roughly 20 minutes each way).

I either get up early and workout first thing in the am (30-60 minutes), or I workout as soon as I get home from work or I go to yoga class on my way home (again, 30-60 minutes). On weekends, I get my long rides and runs in - usually at least 2 hours...though it's not unheard of for me to go on a 3+ hour ride with friends.

It's definitely doable, you just need to commit to it. :flowerforyou:
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you have a wall that is sturdy, you could do wall sits. This will get those quads BURNING if you do it for a minute or so at a time. They are great, but only if you have a solid wall to lean up against.

Squats are always a good one too (and the butt clenches). :happy:
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises:
    - Dips, with your hands on a chair seat instead of a bench
    - Pushups, with your hands on a chair seat or a railing instead of a mat
    - Squats
    - Plie Squats
    - Calf Raises
    - 1 Leg Calf Raises
    - Lunges

If you keep a set of dumbbells in your desk drawer:
    - Triceps Extensions
    - 1 Arm Bent Over Rows
    - Veritical Rows
    - Lateral Raises
    - Front Raises
    - Shoulder Press
    - Arnolds
    - Curls
    - Weighted Calf Raises
    - Weighted Lunges
    - Weighted Squats
    - Weighted Plie Squats
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have a set of pedals under my desk that I can use while I sit. I also do lunges/squats in the bathroom and try to walk as much as possible. Workouts are either before or after work, however they fit in.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a "Desk Cycle", a small, under the desk cycling machine. I splurged and got one with great reviews, but it cost about $150, and it is very quiet. I am able to use it while typing on a computer but I only use it when I am alone in my workspace, or in front of colleagues who know about my weight loss efforts.
  • Tab122377
    Tab122377 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym in the AM before work if i miss it i have no other time. Do the stairs at least one break most time i end up eating on calls. Thank you all for your ideals i can do while on the calls with out touching the dirty floor.
  • sssnewyork
    Options
    Because I work such long hours, I find it hard to find the time to get to the gym. This year, I've decided to try to incorporate exercise into my daily routine as much as possible. These are some of the steps I've taken: 1. Walk the 8 blocks each way from my commuter train to work and back; 2. Send my print jobs to a printer on the floor below me, forcing myself to go up and down the stairs 6-10 times a day; 3. When waiting in the copy room for my copy job, I will do pushups off the countertop, squats, lunges, whatever standing exercises I can think of; 4. I set my outlook to remind me to stretch 3 times during the day and keep a PT rubber band in my desk to exercise my arms and shoulders before stretching them (still recovering from a bad bout of frozen shoulder). If you spend your day looking for ways to exercise, it's surprising how many opportunities you'll find.
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sorry to sound mean but it is an excuse. I work 7:30 to 4:00 everyday. I have 2 kids under 5. I still manage to get in 10km, 12,000 minimum a day. Most jobs give you breaks and a lunch. In my eyes, no one "needs" 30 mins to eat lunch. I take 10, and walk or run the other 20. I actually come into work earlier so I can take an hour lunch to exericse.

And if you are anemic and want to sleep you really should see a doctor about that.
  • MamaNatalie13
    Options
    Could you use a standing desk? I just started using one yesterday and I absolutely love it. Aside from the health benefits, I also find it makes me much more productive.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Get a phone that has a speaker or no wire and walk around during all phone calls. Walk or run during your lunch break. Go to a toilet on a different floor to get a walk plus stairs for each bathroom break.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Don't you get a lunch break? That's when I go on most of my runs. But as far as IN the office, I'm up and down the stairs all day long. Mostly because I run downstairs, forget why I'm down there, run back upstairs, remember what I needed downstairs .....

And I dance in front of the copy machine - because I have the music in me.