Sept 11 recollection

Options
2»

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The company I worked for at the time was located by a major airport and since we had no idea what the heck was going on, we were all a little scared. I don't remember most of the rest of the day but I do remember that night, sitting with Hubs, glued to the TV bawling my eyes out and having a couple of old friends drop by out of the blue. Random, but since it was part of the day, I'll never forget it. Mostly I remember the outpouring of support and generosity afterwards.

For the last three years, I've been doing a memorial workout on this day. I climb at least 110 flights on the stairmill (# of flights in each WTC building) and keep both the heroes and victims of that day in mind to keep me through to the end. To give credit, this was inspired by a friend of mine who did a similar challenge with her bootcamp clients.
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    people jumping out of the windows

This is what will always stick with me I think. I can't imagine being in a situation where you just know all hope is lost and that you either wait to die, or do it yourself.

And as horrible as that was, the heroes that day were Emergency Personnel who fought their way up the Building to rescue those who needed it - without pause and full of fear they did what most could not.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Please give DW a hug from me, here 3 blocks away from Ground Zero in Tribeca.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It was my very first day of college in Los Angeles, CA. I woke up groggy, stumbled into the commons area and noticed everyone was watching television. They were like, "Man, some idiot accidentally flew a plane into the WTC. Can you believe that?" As we watched the tower burn, we also watched live as the second plane crash into the other tower. After about 20-30 seconds, it all kind of hit everyone that the first crash was not an accident.

I also remember my friend Alex had just gone off to school in NY and we were worried about him, but he was okay. I never lost anyone during the event, so I feel very fortunate. Nothing but love, respect and condolences to those who lost, those who died, and those who sacrificed (firemen, armed service people, police, etc.).

As a teacher, I make sure to take a moment to honor the event. Unfortunately, my seniors were only five at the time and it's difficult to have a conversation about their own experience. However, we have great talks about the significance of the event.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I was in first grade. We had been outside at recess when the first tower was struck. When we came back inside, she tried to explain it as best as something like that can be explained to six year olds. It all sounded kind of scary, but hello, New York City was like a bazillion miles away from Indiana. When I got home, I asked both of my parents if they had heard about "that plane crash," because I was pretty sure I was in on some big secret. Of course, I didn't realize the magnitude of what had actually happened for several years.

Something I saw on Twitter today resonated with me (from someone a few years older than me):

"It's a shame we can't remember some of the best days of our childhood as clearly as we remember what we were doing that day."
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was at home getting ready for work and watched it on tv...could not believe it was happening or real..drove across Mobile Bay to work as jet fighters flew overhead....and when I got to work, my co-workers and patients all sat together in our tiny breakroom and watched it on tv...complete with tears and prayers....the patients that came in on that day, did not come to see the MD, they came to be with other people so they would not have to be alone. 9-11-01...never forgotten.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm a Survivor. I work in Lower Manhattan and we could see the Towers from our window. I'm still on the job but it's not the same. The terrorists took a lot from us that day.
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was asleep because I was 6 months pregnant and didn't have to go into work until late. My husband called me and I woke up and turned on the news. I was stunned and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I watched the news while getting ready for work and drove in with a heavy heart. My work at the time had put up TV's and we slowly starting shutting down all operations around the country. At work a normally lively bunch of call center agents were in tears and we were frantic for news on our New York colleagues. The day was so somber and when my husband came home we just sat on the couch and watched the news. His hand on my belly as if he wanted to protect our son.

What I remember the most was the next day. I was off that day and our exterminator came to the house for our regular appointment. I answered the door and this man I had never met came in and ended up sitting on the couch with me watching the news. We were both in tears and he kept saying he was so happy we were going to bring a new life into the world. I don't even remember his name, but it was a indication to me that we weren't strangers right now, we were American's and we were hurting.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    The image of the second plane hitting was completely mind blowing. I just stood at work and looked at the tv's with my mouth wide open and pure hate for the people who did it brewing in me. Even though that one plane still went down in Pennsylvania I still think the people on that plane who knew what was going on and what was about to happen still took it in their hands and did something about it. Hearing the tapes of a firefighter, in full firefighter gear, sprinting up 86 flights of stairs in no time. Outstanding.

When your kids ask you who your hero is you should never tell them, Dan Marino or Derek Jeter or Payton Manning or Sandy Koufax. You should break out news coverage from that day and show them what real heroes look like. Amazing. Gives me chills every time I think about it.

One more thing that stuck with me that was just eerie was the few days after. I live in the Atlanta area and we constantly have planes and news choppers and personal aircraft flying overhead, it's almost constant. I remember stepping out a day or two after 9/11 and just looking at the sky and seeing nothing. No planes, helicopters, nothing! Totally hit me like a ton of bricks.

EDIT: The facking pu$$ies who did this are still living in caves and hiding their faces just like the little bltches they are. I'm sure they love that we removed and are replacing the towers. Congrats a@@holes! All you did was piss us off.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    I'm a Survivor. I work in Lower Manhattan and we could see the Towers from our window. I'm still on the job but it's not the same. The terrorists took a lot from us that day.
    Were you on the street when they collapsed? I couldn't imagine having to inhale all that debris from it. Especially since I'm sure some of the building had asbestos in it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

When your kids ask you who your hero is you should never tell them, Dan Marino or Derek Jeter or Payton Manning or Sandy Koufax. You should break out news coverage from that day and show them what real heroes look like. Amazing. Gives me chills every time I think about it.

So right. These men & women are the true heroes.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was in my car on my way to class when news of the first tower being hit was broadcasted. There was already speculation about how a small commuter plane could have caused such a large explosion. When I got back home, I turned on the TV and a few minutes later, watched as the second plane hit the other tower. I sat there in complete shock as I watched the events unfold, and my heart sunk as I watched the towers collapse.

I had one more class for the day and since I was an athlete, I had to go to practice, but I was in a total daze and couldn't focus. I just kept thinking about all those innocent lives and first responders. I remember I was mad at my coach for making us train on such a horrendous day, even though we were half a continent away. In the following days, I remember watching the news and hoping and praying that there would be more survivors found. It was such a surreal moment in history.
  • squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Me, too. :(
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I was in the lunch hall at FSU getting breakfast. I was paying and I kept looking up at the TV screen and couldn't understand what I was looking at. Everyone was staring, I thought it was a movie at first (I can't see from afar) but as I moved closer I realized it wasn't a movie. Then I saw the second plane. Shortly after the entire town was shut down, it being Tallahassee and a Bush in office there, they thought something would happen there too. Some days, I still can't believe it.
  • I lived in England so it happened around 2pm "my time."

I was 15 and still on school summer holidays so I was working my summer job in the village cafe where I lived. A couple of old ladies came in and were talking about something terrible that had happened - I just assumed that somebody in the village had died.

I then came out of work at 4pmish and had a message from my mum (we were due to fly to Canada a few days later) about the whole thing....horrible, I couldn't believe it. Still can't.

Went to Ground Zero a few years back and it was the eeriest thing, thinking what happened there in 2001.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I remember like it was yesterday. I was on my way to work and I saw the second plane hit on TV. Shook me to my knees. The rest of the day was spent in shock. The following weeks were too, all I could see was the images of those towers. My heart still goes out to those people and their families.