Soup lovers?

Options
My bf loves soup, so do I. It's often a good way to get my daily veggies and it makes a light evening meal.

However, how do you measure it? When I cook soup, I do it for a whole week (I'm a student with a job who already struggles with time)

Now how do I measure how much cal there is in one bowl of soup? Does it even matter? It's always some kind of vegetable soup with no meat, cream or cheese.

So how do you guys and gals deal with this? :smile:

Replies

• elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You can enter the recipe into the recipe builder here on MFP, and then enter the amount of servings the recipe makes. It should calculate the calories for you!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The trick is figuring out the servings once the soup is made. I either measure the whole thing and use that to decide what a serving is or--more often--roughly figure out how many servings it is (say, 6) and then attempt to eat about a sixth of it. I mostly focus on trying to evenly divide elements that have more calories, like meat or beans or corn. If you just have non-starchy vegetables, I'd feel even more comfortable just estimating serving size based on proportion eaten.

And, yeah, soup is great. In the summer I mostly only want gazpacho, and today is one of the first days where I'm in a fall/winter soup kind of mood.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    I enter the recipe on MFP and try to make sure that I figure out the right number of 1 cup servings based upon the amounts for each ingredient/liquid. Then I measure it out with a 1 cup ladle that I bought awhile back. It came in a set with a .5 cup ladle and a .25 cup ladle.
  • determinedgirl1
    determinedgirl1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I make my soups for the entire week also. I use the MFP recipe tracker. It's pretty easy to use. It calculates everything for you and you do not have to guess at the servings if you put the soup in containers. For example, I make my pot of soup and I fill up my handy dandy plastic bowls and if I fill 8 bowls, I know it is 8 servings.
  • MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'll try that, thank you all :). I didn't know that MFP could do that, awesome!
  • kd1575a
    kd1575a Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Since I frequently change soup sizes depending on how hungry I am, and if it's for lunch or dinner, I simply 1) weigh the pot/pan I'll be using 2) place the soup, pot and all, on the scale once it's made and 3) subtract 1 from 2. I do all this in grams. I frequently get a crazy high number, and I simply put that as the number of servings in the recipe builder.

It will say 3,000 servings or something crazy, but later on, if I want to have 150 grams, I can simply input that when logging. If I'm really hungry and want to eat 700 grams, I can do that just as easily.

This works best for me. I was guesstimating before into "servings" but I would frequently cheat to get more in my serving...lol