Cutting Sugar for Fast Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Excess sugar causes excess calories. Excess fats and proteins do too. There are people who eat "clean" and never touch processed foods and are overweight. That's because sugar isn't the only thing you can eat excess of. 10,000 calories of sugar and 10,000 calories of protein is still 10,000 calories.

PRECISELY. But most Americans do not struggle with eating excess proteins and fats, unless they excessively eat over all. I challenge you. Check your labels more often and you will be shocked how much sugar you take in on this American diet. I am not talking baked goods and poptarts here. I'm speaking of foods you would never even expect.

That's not true. My family became overweight by using too much butter and oil in cooking (as well as mayo. My mom uses a whole jar for tuna casserole, I swear). It is completely possible to overeat on foods that aren't carbs.

You are a sweetheart. So my point is not for you to take this wrong way. Please look up the amount of sugar contained in casseroles, mayo and butters. Oh and I've never stated that you cannot eat excess of something other than sugar. I'm only stating that sugar itself is what American's struggle with most. Because it's in EVERYTHING.

I am a sweetheart? You're being very condescending. Anyway, it's not just the sugar in mayo or peanut butter or whatever that causes the calories to be so high. There are other macros which contribute to calorie count.

Mayo: Fat: 10g (or 10,000 mg)
    Total carbohydrate: 0g

I know what I'm talking about.

ETA: in case you haven't read a peanut butter label.

Total fat: 15g
    Total Carbohydrate: 8g (only 3g comes from sugar)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    "No Sugar" or " low sugar" regimes actually remind me of something close to whole foods regimes. In my case, I was forced into cooking my own meals within the first week and coming up with original ideas of how to include certain things in my diets. Don't get me wrong, I definitely "cheated", but only in moderation and suprisingly enough, after the first day or two; I felt no need to cheat on this diet. I did not even crave sugar and previously sugary favorites became excessively sweet to me. In addition, the scarce "cheats" that I would succumb too, often caused a belly ache, causing me to cravy my next meal- which would often be full of fiber. I began to find my sugar sources from better sources such as apples, pears, grapes, peaches, plums, oranges and bananas. None of that was restricted to me because I considered myself capable of consuming naturally occuring sugars. This does not include honey, agave nectar, or artificial sweeteners.

2 LINES LATER. AGAIN- READ IT. YOU ARE MAKING THIS MUCH EASIER.

I've read your whole OP. Two lines down, which you are referring, you consider eating sugary items "cheating". If you ate them in moderation, stayed at a calorie deficit, took in proper protein and fat for the day, then how is it cheating?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Everything that I have said in this post encompasses that whole-heartedly. There is nothing drastic, nor "fad" like about this diet. I will not allow anyone to tell me that my weightloss is because of this or that because I am clearly telling you what it is. I have stated over and over again that sugar eliminates things such as white bread, white rice, packaged foods, and goodies. This means that esssentially the reduction of sugar will in turn, naturally reduce my carb intake, my sodium intake and my calorie intake.

Except White bread has fewer calories and carbs than its whole-grain counterpart. This makes it a better choice for my weight loss.

That's great! Whatever works for you. I just find that whole grain helps w/ cravings.

So do you believe the bolded part of your own point or not? Is it just a satiety issue, then? Because switching off white bread would naturally INCREASE carb and calorie intake. Not decrease, as you claim.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi Hun :)
    I am new here. I was reading what you had said and I am very happy that is working for you. I have low blood sugar and when I get faint, I need my orange juice or whatever has a lot of sugar or I will faint. I guess we are all different and that is okay :D
    Much luck in your weight management.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you are referring to excess sugar. Your answer to making sure you don't eat sugar in excess just happens to be to cut out refined sugars all together. That's fine if it works for you, but there are MANY of us on this board that do not have a problem with sugar at all, and especially not an excess of it. We can eat in moderation and do just fine. There are ZERO studies that I am aware of that shows any ill effects of sugar in a balanced diet.

What it comes down to is that you can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20130114/sugar-excess-weight

EXCEPT FOR THEY ARE NOT "MY OWN" FACTS. Come on. I'm a graduate student- I know better than that. I invite you to read this. This is just the first one I could find. Chances are that you are not aware because you haven't tried to be aware. Good Day.

And again, that article's conclusion was this...

"The results suggest sugar increases body weight mainly by encouraging overeating, according to Walter Willett, MD, PhD, MPH, chair of nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health. He co-wrote an editorial to accompany the study."

So it encourages overeating in some? Okay...I can agree with that. That still has nothing to do with the people who can eat it in moderation.

In that case. I will refer you back to the point of this post, which was about "SUGAR IS EXCESS". Never said eliminate entirely. But then again, this is how I know you didn't actually read what i wrote. Iron Playground knows all about the term excess in my argument. Maybe you two should just argue with each other on what this post is truly about since it seems I'm repeating myself either way we look at it.

I read your post...promise I did. That's why my first comment was nothing but agreeable with you. It's your follow on posts I am commenting on now.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    Excess sugar causes excess calories. Excess fats and proteins do too. There are people who eat "clean" and never touch processed foods and are overweight. That's because sugar isn't the only thing you can eat excess of. 10,000 calories of sugar and 10,000 calories of protein is still 10,000 calories.

PRECISELY. But most Americans do not struggle with eating excess proteins and fats, unless they excessively eat over all. I challenge you. Check your labels more often and you will be shocked how much sugar you take in on this American diet. I am not talking baked goods and poptarts here. I'm speaking of foods you would never even expect.

That's not true. My family became overweight by using too much butter and oil in cooking (as well as mayo. My mom uses a whole jar for tuna casserole, I swear). It is completely possible to overeat on foods that aren't carbs.

You are a sweetheart. So my point is not for you to take this wrong way. Please look up the amount of sugar contained in casseroles, mayo and butters. Oh and I've never stated that you cannot eat excess of something other than sugar. I'm only stating that sugar itself is what American's struggle with most. Because it's in EVERYTHING.

I am a sweetheart? You're being very condescending. Anyway, it's not just the sugar in mayo or peanut butter or whatever that causes the calories to be so high. There are other macros which contribute to calorie count.

Mayo: Fat: 10g (or 10,000 mg)
    Total carbohydrate: 0g

I know what I'm talking about.

ETA: in case you haven't read a peanut butter label.

Total fat: 15g
    Total Carbohydrate: 8g (only 3g comes from sugar)

3g per serving= That's about 12 cals if you only eat one and again I'm not saying that other macros do not cause excess calorie intake, but I am saying that sugar is the primary cause.Oh and what in the world does peanut butter have to do with this conversation anyway?...BTW- when i said you were a sweetheart, I was being honest. You came across much more understanding then some of the individuals that have posted but hey, whatever. Peanut butter is primarily made from peanuts. I know i eat it everyday with apples. <<<<means it must be part of my reduced sugar diet.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    The problem is that you are referring to excess sugar. Your answer to making sure you don't eat sugar in excess just happens to be to cut out refined sugars all together. That's fine if it works for you, but there are MANY of us on this board that do not have a problem with sugar at all, and especially not an excess of it. We can eat in moderation and do just fine. There are ZERO studies that I am aware of that shows any ill effects of sugar in a balanced diet.

What it comes down to is that you can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts.

EXCEPT FOR THEY ARE NOT "MY OWN" FACTS. Come on. I'm a graduate student- I know better than that. I invite you to read this. This is just the first one I could find. Chances are that you are not aware because you haven't tried to be aware. Good Day.

"The results suggest sugar increases body weight mainly by encouraging overeating, according to Walter Willett, MD, PhD, MPH, chair of nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health. He co-wrote an editorial to accompany the study."

So it encourages overeating in some? Okay...I can agree with that. That still has nothing to do with the people who can eat it in moderation.

In that case. I will refer you back to the point of this post, which was about "SUGAR IS EXCESS". Never said eliminate entirely. But then again, this is how I know you didn't actually read what i wrote. Iron Playground knows all about the term excess in my argument. Maybe you two should just argue with each other on what this post is truly about since it seems I'm repeating myself either way we look at it.

I read your post...promise I did. That's why my first comment was nothing but agreeable with you. It's your follow on posts I am commenting on now.

All I have to say is congrats on your weightloss and have a very nice day.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    Options
    There's sugar in meat now?

I guess I'd better tell my in laws not to go hunting for venison this year then.

And we'd better call off the broiled halibut for Christmas.

Man, my husband is going to be upset by the absence of Thanksgiving turkey.

::sigh::
    There isn't sugar in meat. Where did you get that? My diet primarily consists on meat. Maybe meet batters and meat sauces but there isn't any in animal protein in general.

You were the one who said sugar was in basically everything.

I was just reading a eulogy for our holiday meals.

Edited for wrong word. ("meat" instead of "sugar")
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Thanks, and good luck to you as well.

PS - I graduated from the same college as you ;)
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    Hi Hun :)
    I am new here. I was reading what you had said and I am very happy that is working for you. I have low blood sugar and when I get faint, I need my orange juice or whatever has a lot of sugar or I will faint. I guess we are all different and that is okay :D
    Much luck in your weight management.

Yes ma'am. I'm glad you have chosen to find your sugar in a natural product. We are different, that's the point I have been trying to make with everyone. Everything just isn't so black and white, ya know? My mom also had low blood sugar so I know all about that. In addition, I examine medical records for a living. I'm sure you couldn't follow this regime unless you chose to do it in a way that only eliminates sugars in things that processed. I myself, do still eat fruits all day every day and that has plenty of naturally occurring sugars and carbs, but just doesn't spike my insulin levels in the same way.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Eh....congratulations on your success!
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options

Thanks, and good luck to you as well.

PS - I graduated from the same college as you ;)

HAHA. That's crazy! So now you know why I am so argumentative!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Not 3 months ago you were on here asking about diet pills - made of sugar. I call shenanigans.
    Have you guys heard about the all-natural weight loss aid Almased?

Supposedly it claims to help you lose up to 15 pds in 6 weeks, although most of the stories I've stumbled across have people losing almost 70 percent of 15 pounds in less than 4 days?

So I guess the point of this topic is, have you tried Almased? Does it work? and, what happens when you go back to normal eating? <<< This is the main part as I am getting married in a few weeks and ofcourse want to look my best but I am also seriously wondering if the weight will stay off- since I'm on a weight loss journey, I'd rather keep the fat if it's just gonna come back and get rid of it the hard and slow(er) way?

COMMENTS PLEASE!
    Thanks for your responses!

I am actually looking for those who have tried it. I talked with a family member the other day and she has kept the 9 pounds off. The website says it's made of fermented soy, yogurt and honey and it's supposed to destroy fat much like consuming alot of protein in it. It says that it's stood the test of time for atleast 6 months in german and us studies but I want real experience here- not just what the website says.

If anyone is interested and wants to see what I'm reading, here's the website http://www.almased.com/t/faq
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I myself, do still eat fruits all day every day and that has plenty of naturally occurring sugars and carbs, but just doesn't spike my insulin levels in the same way.

I'll just leave this here for you.

Enjoy your continued success!

http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/2/236.long
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options

HAHA! I saw your post before the edits. I think you get what I am trying to say here. :) Eliminating did alot with eliminating cravings and allowing me to only eat when I am hungry, instead of grabbing the 2 o clock snickers bar like I had so many times in the past.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options
    Not 3 months ago you were on here asking about diet pills - made of sugar. I call shenanigans.
    Have you guys heard about the all-natural weight loss aid Almased?

Supposedly it claims to help you lose up to 15 pds in 6 weeks, although most of the stories I've stumbled across have people losing almost 70 percent of 15 pounds in less than 4 days?

So I guess the point of this topic is, have you tried Almased? Does it work? and, what happens when you go back to normal eating? <<< This is the main part as I am getting married in a few weeks and ofcourse want to look my best but I am also seriously wondering if the weight will stay off- since I'm on a weight loss journey, I'd rather keep the fat if it's just gonna come back and get rid of it the hard and slow(er) way?

COMMENTS PLEASE!
    Thanks for your responses!

I am actually looking for those who have tried it. I talked with a family member the other day and she has kept the 9 pounds off. The website says it's made of fermented soy, yogurt and honey and it's supposed to destroy fat much like consuming alot of protein in it. It says that it's stood the test of time for atleast 6 months in german and us studies but I want real experience here- not just what the website says.

If anyone is interested and wants to see what I'm reading, here's the website http://www.almased.com/t/faq

OK NUMBER 1- That is not weight loss pill!!! ( It's a shake- but hey read the description.)

"All-natural Almased® is a powder made from high-quality fermented soy, skim milk yogurt powder and enzyme-rich honey. It contains all important nutrients the body needs, essential amino acids and enzymes for easy digestion. Almased® is non-GMO, gluten-free and contains no added sugars, preservatives, artificial, flavors or fillers. Almased® uses an ingenious, clinically tested formula and can be used by nearly anybody"

CONTAINS NO ADDED SUGAR. YEAH.

And if you read the post- 3 months ago, i was still struggling and trying to find a way. Do you still feel intelligent or do you really wan to go there with me????
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

HAHA! I saw your post before the edits. I think you get what I am trying to say here. :) Eliminating did alot with eliminating cravings and allowing me to only eat when I am hungry, instead of grabbing the 2 o clock snickers bar like I had so many times in the past.

Exactly what my post said....is exactly the case :).....You found what works for you and what helps you to help with cravings. Job well done!
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options

Actually, if all you ever ate was protein, even 10,000 calories of it a day, you would starve to death. It's called "rabbit starvation" and occurs to people who are forced to eat nothing but lean wild game for extended periods. (Apparently, should you ever be caught out in the wilderness, this miserable fate can be avoided by eating all the internal organs and bone marrow before eating the lean stuff.)

Different foods are processed by the body differently. Sugar - even different types of sugar - have different effects on the metabolism, which can affect energy levels and therefor how much energy you burn when you're not actually on a treadmill.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    This whole low sugar thing reminds me of the low glycemic diet I fell for about 8 years ago - lost a ton of weight by limiting things like corn starch, ketchup etc - why because sugar and insulin spike of course. I lost a ton of weight!

Horse hockey - totally unsustainable in the long run and it all came back. Eat at a calorie defecit and if you want to maintain muscle mass up your protein and practice resistance training as well as cardio.

Nothing simpler and nothing to give up.
  • ShantesNaturalVanity
    Options

Actually, if all you ever ate was protein, even 10,000 calories of it a day, you would starve to death. It's called "rabbit starvation" and occurs to people who are forced to eat nothing but lean wild game for extended periods. (Apparently, should you ever be caught out in the wilderness, this miserable fate can be avoided by eating all the internal organs and bone marrow before eating the lean stuff.)

Different foods are processed by the body differently. Sugar - even different types of sugar - have different effects on the metabolism, which can affect energy levels and therefor how much energy you burn when you're not actually on a treadmill.

You are right on that. That's why people who are really extreme with low carb/ high protein diet often suffer liver damage and renal failure.