• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    upqrrQt.gif

tumblr_n87dpqhT5v1rakka3o1_250.gif
  • Sweet_Lady_4
    Sweet_Lady_4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone who replied! You are all so amazing :) I'm definitely gonna put these tips to good use! I will love to get outside and explore some new trails in my area and check out interval training for sure!

And that video is great!
  • Sweet_Lady_4
    Sweet_Lady_4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Update!!!!

Today I went to gym first thing this morning, tablet in tow! I started a new series (new to me anyhow) called True Detective, and while watching I was alternating between walking slower at a steep grade and lowering the grade and walking a lot faster, increasing the pace as I went.

Would you believe it but I was on that thing for 75 minutes!?? Knocked out my fitbit 10,000 steps goal for the day all in one shot, now I'm ready to conquer the day!! Boom!!

Hope you are all having an awesome day!! <3
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Read. Either on tablet/Kindle or a real book. For actual page turning I've found it better to walk a little slower (for me that means 3.5 or so) and crank up the incline. Watch Netflix, or something recorded on the TV. (Treadmill is in the basement.) Hubby has wireless headphones and they work with the tv which is nice.
  • romankhar
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks (cost $ on audible.com) and some excellent free podcasts. here is the list of my favorite audio books and podcasts:
    http://kharkovski.blogspot.com/p/favorites.html
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The treadmill I use at the gym has an "Alpine Loop." I vary the top speed and incline every time I use it, so it's like a slightly different work out every time. Keeps me entertained. :P
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Currently listening to 1st To Die by John patterson. long series. so far so good.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I live in Seattle, so treadmill's are a must unless I like running in rain boots.

I have books on tape, there are tvs at my gym, hulu, Run! Zombies, anything that lets me space out.

My fave book series has 30+ books, so I never run out! (the In Death Series by J.D. Robb if anyone was interested. Yay crime/romance)

That being said, I do the same when I do have the chance to get outside. I'l crank house/dance music up on my ipod so I don't have to hear the inner voice that tries to tell me to give up.

Best of luck!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Loving the tips! When I first started running on the treadmills I was so focused on breathing enough so my lungs didn't collapse, and trying not to fall off. But now I am comfortable at 5.2mph - but 20 minutes seems like an ETERNITY and I keep looking at the timer every 30 seconds saying 'ok 15 minutes left... okay... 14.5 minutes left...' the whole time, which makes it drag!

I like the idea of throwing a towel/jacket over the whole thing. And I don't have wifi/data on my phone but I might download something to watch on iTunes before I leave to help with the boredom.

And AWESOME job knocking out 10k steps first thing in the morning! A pedometer might be what I need to get my butt up and more active throughout the day :)
  • allisonjforsyth
    allisonjforsyth Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill!! I love that I can put the incline on really high and burn a lot more calories in the same amount of time than just walking on flat sidewalk that way. My favorite thing to watch on the treadmill is NBA games. I'm a huge sports fan and especially the NBA, with such a quick pace and lots of action, is my favorite sport to watch on the treadmill. I turn on music and keep the game sound down so it keeps me pumped up watching amazing athletes run and dunk while listening to good music with a good beat. I can also put a fan on a chair right in front of me so it helps me stay cool while working my booty off. I also put wrist weights on to up the challenge level even more.

Right now the NBA is not is season (although I am watching the USMNT play) so I will put on shows that I otherwise don't give myself time to watch. Project Runway, Bachelor in Paradise are two examples. BTW- true detective was such an awesome show!!! I've been doing the treadmill as my go to exercise for weight loss for years. I love it so much. I do find I need to switch it up when weight loss gets stalled though. Put the incline higher, do interval runs, run, switch a day to workout videos or swim etc. But I live in Ohio so the treadmill is my lifeline to year round fitness. Snow and ice covered sidewalks don't do it for me. lol Good luck with everything!!!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I can only stand the dreadmill for 10-15 minutes...20 tops if I'm in really dire straights. 99.9% of the time, I run outside. I've run in 90 degree heat and I've run in sub-0 cold. I've run in sun, snow, wind and rain...I've even run in the dark at night (our neighborhood has streetlights and I wear a headlamp and blinkies). I only draw the line at thunder/lightning and ice - and I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to completely cancel a run because of those in the last 18 months (if it's nasty before work, 9/10 times I'll be able to run after work). When I *am* on the treadmill, I can't read or watch tv (if I'm paying attention to that, I am not focusing on my workout), but I HAVE to have tunes. However, I've progressed to rarely, if ever, listening to music when I'm outside - I totally don't need it. :flowerforyou:
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    upqrrQt.gif

tumblr_n87dpqhT5v1rakka3o1_250.gif

Love watching this...wish I could do it, but would probably fall flat on my face and bust it all up. He makes you want to be on the treadmill!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I listen to my "happy music" while on the treadmill. It makes the time more enjoyable.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Fellow Floridian here suffering from the same heat. I usually just watch TV (and setup a fan adjacent to the mill) when forced to use it - for some reason, I'm addicted to HGTV when on the treadmill.

Having a marathon or half-marathon on the horizon (with a fixed training schedule) serves as a pretty good motivator to get the training miles in. Although I can usually grin and bear a 3-5 mile short run outside in those conditions (or just try to run pre/post sun), once the training plan mileage for the day starts getting into double-digits, and the heat index spikes above 100, I'll gladly high-tail it to the gym for a few hours on the mill instead of putting in those miles in the hot florida sun.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I like to alternate between Arc Trainer, Elliptical, Stationery bike, and Treadmill. I usually do about 30 minutes on one thing, then switch to another for an hour of cardio everyday. I also keep very upbeat music playing on my MP3 and I also either read a kindle book on my phone or watch a TV show that I like. Sometimes I will even add more time to finish watching the TV show or read another chapter.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I walk/jog backwards and side ways. I saw others at the gym doing this because it works other muscles. Start off slow or you might slip.

Interesting, I will have to try this out!
    oooooooh, Me too!
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Since I resorted to the treadmill in the gym at work to knock off my daily 5 miles in the morning and give myself more time to hike and garden in the evenings, I find that I no longer have unread New Yorker magazines. Long form journalism. It's made for the dreadmill. A New Yorker will get me through two days on the 'mill. Alas, now that I've caught up with all of the back issues I had around the house, I rely on the New York Times app on my ipad to get me through the other 3 days - I start with the top news and read every bloody article. Up on current events and down several hundred calories a day. Not a bad combination.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If you're just walking, you could go outside, I understand it's hot. But if you're not running, it's quite easy to carry water. There are also like 100 benefits to walking outside too.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    I listen to music on my iphone but when the weather is good I skip the treadmill and walk outside. I've found a variety of parks in my neighborhood that I didn't even know were there. Just go out and take a walk outside.