sudden rapid weight loss

Options
Should I be concerned that I have lost 6lbs in the past week after not having lost anything in the six months prior to that? My doctor started a new medication and since being on it I feel great have lots of energy but no appetite. I have been eating about 1000 calories per day trying to get nutrient dense food in there but really have no desire to eat more. Is this okay or should I ask my doc to lower the dose or since I hqvent lost weight in six months despite exercising and eating about 1700cal/day should I just assume this is the initial chunk and it will taper down.

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If your Doctor gave you this drug, I'd give it a bit longer than a week for your body to adjust. It could also just be water weight that fell off.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I agree, might just be water weight.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Maybe give your doc a call and ask? If not now I would do so if it is repeated next week.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should give them a call and ask if he thinks you need to come in.

It doesn't sound like a big to me, but it have no idea what is going on with you.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Well, what's the medication if you don't mind sharing? Some medications have loss of appetite as a side effect.

I would still call your doctor and let him/her know you don't have much interest in food and have lost 6 lbs in the past week (it's most likely water weight, though).
  • jenniferhanisch5
    jenniferhanisch5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's wellbutrin. I do believe loss of appetite is a known side effect.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Going from eating 1700 to 1000... it's probably just water weight.

I do still recommend speaking to your doctor. Persistent loss of appetite can lead to other, physical problems aside from weight loss. In the mean time, I find that on days where my appetite is low, drinking my calories opposed to eating them helps.
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No one here can tell you whether you should be concerned or not. Since you're asking, you must be a bit concerned. The person to speak to is your doctor.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's wellbutrin. I do believe loss of appetite is a known side effect.
    It is, and it can take a few weeks to adjust to wellbutrin. It wouldn't hurt to call the doctor or the pharmacist just to let them know what's going on and get their opinion, though.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    A large portion of this is in your statement - from 1700 to 1000 calories per day. Since your doctor is the one prescribing...a call to the doctor seems much more beneficial than a question on MFP where you get uneducated answers - most of us aren't medical professionals.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Anytime you lose a lot of weight at once, it's water. 6 pounds of water isn't that much to worry about. I gained 18 pounds of water in the days right after having my appendix out and then lost them all over the following 4-5 days after I got home from the hospital. I wouldn't really worry about it unless it continues for another week or three.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If its a known side effect of the med I don't think there is anything to worry about (the loss of appetite)...give it 2-3 weeks I don't think a consistent 6lb loss per week will stick..it will taper off...However as with anything ask your Physician if you have concerns. If your not trying to lose weight then perhaps give him a call otherwise wait it out.
  • allybird2
    Options
    ask your doctor if the medication contains any sort of diuretic.
  • audra54321
    audra54321 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The research says (studies from concentration camps) people can lose 3 pounds of fat a week, maximum. So you may have lost 3 pounds of fat and three of water.