Is there any way to avoid loose skin after weight loss?

Options
I have at least 100 pounds that I would like to lose, but sometimes I get really scared after I watch these weight loss shows on TV, all these people who were like 350+ lbs have to have skin surgery after they lose the weight. Has any one lost around 100 lbs and had difficulty with loose skin? Are there any tips/tricks to avoid having loose skin without having to get surgery? What's the likelihood that losing 100 lbs would result in loose skin? Feeling paranoid....

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    A really good article about loose skin issues:

http://www.burnthefat.com/loose_skin.html
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have at least 100 pounds that I would like to lose, but sometimes I get really scared after I watch these weight loss shows on TV, all these people who were like 350+ lbs have to have skin surgery after they lose the weight. Has any one lost around 100 lbs and had difficulty with loose skin? Are there any tips/tricks to avoid having loose skin without having to get surgery? What's the likelihood that losing 100 lbs would result in loose skin? Feeling paranoid....

Hi. I haven't lost 100+ lbs, but I still need to lose 150 lbs (I'm down 50+ thus far, I'm avoiding the scale til tomorrow). I was worried about loose skin not even 2 days ago...flipping out about it, getting paranoid, having "what if" moments. Then, I had some sort of revelation.

I would rather be alive and have loose skin sagging all over my body, than dead and 6 ft under the ground because I was worried about loose skin.

Loose skin? Bring it on!:drinker:
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I dont have a problem with loose skin. But I think that age can be a factor as well as the rate of how quickly you lose weight.
  • Oxmarqt
    Oxmarqt Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I worry about the same thing. I know the main, and most important, goal of the weight loss is my health and extending my life but I also have trouble with the vanity part. As a 43 yr old male that has always been overweight I am really looking forward to going to the beach/pool and not having to worry about people staring. Excessive loose skin will be a real morale killer.

No matter what happens though, healthy and loose skin is WAY better than unhealthy and tight skin.
  • Tigs2614
    Tigs2614 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've been told to do strength training, 3 times a week which should help with excess flab. I started doing it straight way in hope it works haha
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I too have a lot to lose. I only weigh the last day of each month, but I estimate that I'm down about 80 lbs. right now. I already have quite a bit of loose skin on my upper arms, and a little on my behind and stomach. I agree with the poster above that loose skin is the least of my worries. I can't wait to be fit. The only skin I might consider having removed would be my arms, depending on how resilient that skin turns out to be.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Try to doing a lot of resistance activities in cardio activities, For instance, walking with weights is a good workout that is cardio resistance
  • joyangbax
    joyangbax Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the link to the online article that someone posted regarding loose skin, thanks.
  • beautifuldisasta
    beautifuldisasta Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This worries me also, as I have quite a bit to lose! Thank you to the person for sharing that link!

What I got the most from it was to not lose more than 3lbs per week (about 1.3kg) and this paragraph...Nutrition has a lot to do with the health of your skin. Essential fatty acids in particular are very valuable for many reasons, and one of them is for the health of your skin. It would be worth taking an EFA supplement such as fish oil, flax oil or an oil blend like Udo's choice. Antioxidants are also very important, so be sure to consume copious amounts of a variety of vegetables and fruits. By the way, whey protein is high in a powerful antioxidant called glutathione. Green tea also contains powerful antioxidants and has proven skin-improving benefits. Also pay very close attention to hydration and drink plenty of water.

Those are all things I have control of, and can put into my daily life :)
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 pounds, but because of the elasticity of my skin due to age (I'm 27 now), my skin bounced back well. Except for in my belly a bit. It's frustrating, but I've had to learn to just move on from it I guess.
  • maegalinha
    Options
    A really good article about loose skin issues:

http://www.burnthefat.com/loose_skin.html

Thanks for the link :)
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I think giving the skin time to readjust is probably one of the primary reasons for me to keep the weight loss rate reasonable, which to me is 2lbs or less a week once the initial few water-weight loss weeks die down. In fact I think this is the only reason tempering my patience for weight loss at the moment, and why I am deliberately keeping my loss rate at the 1.5lbs a week mark :)

The link posted above I found every good, even if I must say it seems counter-intuitive to think an even lower body fat % will help loose skin even more :)
  • saberika87
    saberika87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, it's lessened my anxiety a little for now... I definitely am feeling good about the thought of being healthier and focusing on that aspect rather than worrying about loose skin, but it will probably be permanently at the back of my mind. I'm still somewhat young (27 years) so I'm hoping I still have enough elasticity in my skin to have it bounce back a fair bit. I have been quite overweight for a few years now after having a baby (about 100 lbs overweight), but hoping age will still be in my favor.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have lost like 77lbs over the last 2 years and some. I am also 25 - absolutely no children.

So far, my skin is kind of lumpy looking...but it is not sagging.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    48 years old and 110+ lbs loss. Yes, I have some lose skin. I don't like it, but I prefer it to the fat person I used to be.

Everything I've read says age and genetics are the primary factors. Also it can take several years for the lose skin to firm up. Exercises won't make the skin tighten up as they work muscle.

My plan is to assess 2 years after I reach my goal weight to see what my skin looks like and if I feel the need for any surgery. Right now it isn't that bad and I wouldn't go under the knife to correct it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost 100 yet, but the loose skin has already begun and it's gross. It's especially gross underwater when air jets blow on it. I look like an alien life form.

When I began, I didn't care if I ended up with loose skin because I just wanted to lose weight so badly. Now that it's starting, I'm not pleased, lol. Still better than all the fat, though. So far. :)

I'm trying really hard to lose slowly so that it has time. I'm hoping the people who say it tightens up with time are right. I've added more work to my weight workout, but am developing extra muscle and can't keep that up forever.

If you're in your 20s, there's a really good chance it'll just bounce back. :)
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 160 from my highs around 380. I was overweight for 30 years plus, too. Loose skin is a problem. It's still better than the alternative. I may go in eventually and get it taken care of. If not, I'll look extremely scary when I'm elderly and lose some muscle mass.

I think it will depends on genetics and how long you've been overweight whether you'll have a significant problem.

My advice would be to lose at a reasonable pace, keep your protein consumption up, and some weight training during your diet to retain as much muscle mass during your loss as possible. Once you've lost all the excess weight, give your skin a couple of years to continue to tighten and ensure your weight is stable.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm old and short, and sag all over the place but as some others have mentioned, this beats the heck out of the alternative.

I just dress my sags up as much as possible in my size 12s and enjoy the ride!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    most of mine is in the upper thigh, arm pit area and waist so i dont mind since it can easily be covered up. i see them battle scars.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    With a lot of weight to lose, loose skin is going to be unavoidable. However, depending on your age and if you are also doing weight training I think it can be minimized. Weight lifting is one of best ways to help minimize loose skin and slow weight lose. One of the main reasons why those weight loss show contestants have so much loose skin is because they are losing obscene amounts of weight in a very short time. If you lose weight over a longer period of time it gives your skin the time it needs to bounce back.