Night shift workers

Options
Does anybody also have a night shift job that is having difficulty keeping track of thier diets and exercise because of their confusing schedules?

Replies

• LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I've been on nights for years...I stay on a sleep/wake schedule. It's the only thing for me that works to log correctly and keep losing.

ETA: Absolutely..sleep is the most important...and the more "set" schedule you can get, the more successful you will be.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It was difficult at first when I began a few years back. For me it was getting 6 to 7 hrs of consistent sleep. Once I got that figured out, it was pretty easy then. When it comes to logging I just do midnight to midnight.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do shift work with most of them been nights and have found that I put on weight when on nights even as I dont eat after a set time apart from breakfast why this happens I dont know
  • piratesmile88
    piratesmile88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My schedule is always changing with usually 2 to 3 overnights a week. sleep is the hardest thing for me but it can be difficult to log food and exercise or even get exercise cuz im so tired all the time. I dont have a set work schedule to adjust too.
  • jambo101
    Options
    Recently retired from 15 years on the night shift (11pm-7am) Eating around 6ish was every one elses supper was my Breakfast,,Lunch was around midnight and when i got home in the morning i;d eat a small breakfast with the family only i'd call it supper.,bed by 10am up around 4pm,power nap around 9pm then off to work..Occasional light snacks scattered about the day/night
  • radcas11
    radcas11 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been on night shift the past year and have managed to lose 145 lbs. Now, I did have gastric bypass a year ago as well. I've been able to lose and maintain though. I eat dinner around 12:30 a.m. I have 2 little snacks while at work. When I get home around 8:30-9 a.m. I have breakfast. Around noon, I'll get up and have a little snack. I'll eat lunch about 3 and have another snack about 6 or 7. I'm constantly having to get up and eat it feels like, but that's the only way it works for me to get my calories in.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a rotating shift schedule and it's difficult. I log based on when my sleep was. When I wake up, that means it's breakfast time... even if it's 7pm.
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I have a rotating shift schedule and it's difficult. I log based on when my sleep was. When I wake up, that means it's breakfast time... even if it's 7pm.

^^^ yup yup ^^^
  • lawdHAMMERCY
    lawdHAMMERCY Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im Chevy in Jax FL!!! Hello every1!! I work 1830-0630 3x a week, it's hard but I am sticking to goals and focused!
  • lawdHAMMERCY
    lawdHAMMERCY Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    right! I am the same way... You'll make your goal!
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I work a month of dayshift (wake up time is 330am) and then a month of nightshift (wake up time 3pm)....a complete 12 hour shift. I started losing before I joined MFP and have lost 44 pounds in the past 6 months. It does get difficult sometimes, especially when you add in vacation time where your schedule doesn't follow any of your normal patterns.

There is an "official night shift" thread on the boards under Chit-chat, Fun and Games: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1427645-official-nightshift-thread

There are some awesome people on there, with the typical nightshift sense of humor :bigsmile: