Picky Eater

Options
Hey Guys,

I'm a pretty picky eater. How do you make sure you get all your veggies/enough protein and don't OD on carbs when you're a picky eater? Any ideas on how to hide veggies in certain foods?

Thanks!

Replies

• jesszing
    jesszing Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO picky.
    I actually almost hate fruits. I prefer artificial flavoring .-.

So, I am interested in the responses :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I put a ton of stuff in my morning smoothie:

MY MASTER SMOOTHIE LIST

Protein powder
    Chia seeds
    Sesame seeds
    Goji powder
    Acai powder
    Choice: Beet, carrot, or pomegranate powder, tart cherry
    Cinnamon (half)
    (Cacao nibs)
    Hemp
    Flax (half)
    Powdered Calcium
    Vitamin D – liquid
    Maca
  • DanaLash
    DanaLash Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Did I mention I'm also poor? LOL. Ok, not poor. Cheap is a more accurate word. All of those things sound terribly expensive.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. Take a look. There are plenty of ways to inexpensively meet your nutritional needs as a "picky eater."

We live in a relatively small town, so almost all of our shopping is done at the local WalMart. Can't get much cheaper than that.
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Did I mention I'm also poor? LOL. Ok, not poor. Cheap is a more accurate word. All of those things sound terribly expensive.

I take whatever greens and veggies are on sale and throw them into a couple of veggie smoothies with a Nutribullet. I'll usually throw in some frozen raspberries or blueberries just to make it more "drinkable." I got my Nutribullet on Craigslist barely used for $60. I know I need veggies and I don't mind the taste too much, but the texture of some vegetables really bothers me. You don't necessarily need all the fancy extras like goji berries if you're just looking to get veggies in. Drinking your greens is definitely something to consider if you are veggie-averse!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm picky but it's more with meat. And poor. And trying not to OD on carbs too. And we are lazy cooks in our house so...

Not sure if you hate these things but this is what we do:

The hubs will make up a big batch of chicken breasts in the oven so we have those on hand.

We buy big bags of what ever frozen veggies we like (we tend to like broccoli), boil that up.

Boil up a bunch of sweet potatos, mash those up.

Then we just mix that up and eat it all week. Can add butter. Pretty healthy. Depends what you like though. Sub out the sweet potatos for brown rice if you like that better. Sub out the broccoli for any veggie you like.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Stop being picky. Open up and start trying new things. I guarantee you'll realize you like many more things than you thought. Life is way too short to be so closed off and inflexible. You will be happier for expanding your food base.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I shred up zucchini/summer squash or carrots, sautee them, and put them in dishes that have ground meat, like lasagna or stuffed peppers. You can add onion or mushrooms to TONS of meals if you sautee them and add them to sauces. You can also add veggies to soups, since they all kind of end up with the same taste/texture at the end.

Definitely try new things, too. I hated most vegetables until I was like 24, then suddenly, I was like "hey, I enjoy zucchini and avocado and onions and tomatoes and all these delicious things that I thought I hated!" Most of them I hadn't tried since my mom made me eat them as a kid, and I just assumed I still disliked them.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am very picky even at age 42, mostly a mental thing.

I blend in fruits (berries) in my morning protein shake. I really only eat strawberries, oranges, berries, pineapple. Honeydew makes me vomit. Other fruits just don't do it for me.

I hate almost all veggies. I will eat a salad, prefer spinach salad with maybe some thinly sliced carrots in it. I can do tomatoes in small doses.

I eat a fiber pill (Fiber Choice) that taste like candy to increase my fiber and also do a multi-vitamin to help with the lack of veggies.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options

I am cheap as well. I haven't done the math but I buy meal replacement shakes (Total Lean 25) at GNC and with the fruit I blend in, it probably is only marginally more expensive than my former breakfast consisting of multiple bowls of cereal & milk.

I do make sure I only buy the stuff at GNC when it is on sale. Also, sometimes you just gotta spend a little more on yourself sometimes.
  • DanaLash
    DanaLash Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. Take a look. There are plenty of ways to inexpensively meet your nutritional needs as a "picky eater."

We live in a relatively small town, so almost all of our shopping is done at the local WalMart. Can't get much cheaper than that.

You're speaking my language! We are in the same boat. All we have is Walmart in our town. Although, rumor has it we might be getting a Meijer...
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have found that picking a short term diet that MAKES you limit carbs and eat veggies/fruit/protein is helpful. It helps rewire my brain a little. I've done the 21 day sugar detox. I've done a little paleo. Even gluten free for a month. The 21 day sugar detox helped to most to get me to actually enjoy veggies.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Are there any veggies you like right now? If so, stock up on those. Then try a new veggie every week. Even if it's one you already think you hate. If you find some you like, add those to your regular shopping list.

That's the easiest way I've found to add more veggies.

Add some fruit to yogurt if you like yogurt, or to oatmeal if you like oatmeal. If not, add them on top of a pancake or in a smoothie with some frozen yogurt and ice cubes.

As for the carbs, I don't really count my carbs at all, so I'm not the best person to ask. I suppose you could start by limiting yourself to 1 carb-y meal per day and try to switch some of your carbs to whole wheat and whole grain.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    One of my go- to meals is Buffalo Broccoli. I buy a bag of pre chopped NOT frozen broccoli, microwave for 2 minutes, add chopped chicken (i poach a ton of it once a month, shred and freeze in sandwhich bags, keep one in the fridge) a tbsp of cream cheese, and buffalo sauce. It's soooo good. Doesn't taste like broccoli! Sometimes I'll sub the buffalo sauce with salsa. YUM!

I'm also a fan of omlettes. Every morning i do one egg, 4tbsp of egg whites, cottage cheese and 1/2 cup frozen spinach or kale or finely chopped broccoli. I blend it and pour into a hot buttered saute pan and cover for about 5 minutes. eat with a wedge of laughing cow cheese. SO good.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Make burritos. I just add a lot of Accent (MSG) to the vegetables if it bothers you. And no MSG isn't as bad as lots make it out to be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Eat for fuel, not for fun.

After about the age of 15, "I'm a picky eater" isn't cute.
  • Theotherkels
    Options
    Eat for fuel, not for fun.

After about the age of 15, "I'm a picky eater" isn't cute.

Just a guess here, but I don't think she was going for cute

My husband is a notoriously picky eater - he's not trying to be difficult, but certain tastes and textures genuinely bother him and make him gag, and our son is the same way and I don't belittle either of them because their taste happens to be different than mine.

Hubby eats the foods he enjoys - stays within his macros, and under his calorie count. He exercises 6 days a week and has still managed to lose weight and not feel like crap and I'm sure the OP can do the same as a picky eater. If you can't stand veggies without some cheese on them, fine...eat em with cheese, count the calories, log it as a success because you actually got veggies into your system without barfing, woo!

And people, jeeze - what worked for you doesn't always work for everyone, a modicum of understanding that we're not all cut from the same damn piece of paper would be brilliant.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I'm a pretty picky eater. How do you make sure you get all your veggies/enough protein and don't OD on carbs when you're a picky eater? Any ideas on how to hide veggies in certain foods?

Thanks!

My meals are incredibly repetitive -
    While I'm not a picky eater, and I'm lucky enough to be able to get what I want and need at the store, I've found that giving myself too much 'freedom' with my menu leads to me overdoing it.

I'm taking the 'fun' out of it - and just using food for what I think it's supposed to be for - fueling my body.

I eat a lot of chicken - I buy the packs of 7 or 8 at walmart - throw them in the crockpot with salt, pepper, and garlic. Let them cook for 7-8 hours and there's my lunch for the week paired with a veggie or two of choice - for dinner it's basically grilled chicken, shrimp, and occasionally steak, with a salad and a veggie. Honestly - shopping the 'outer ring' <meat, produce, fruit, and dairy) of the grocery hasn't been any more expensive than the insides....
  • Theotherkels
    Options
    Oh, and DanaLash - there's a recipe book called Deceptively Delicious which is ALL about hiding veggies in delicious foods (like taco pie etc.) - it's basically written so that you can get veggies into kids who are anti-veggie but it works for adults too. Might be worth checking out.
  • kschick46
    kschick46 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found if I buy vegetables on sale then puree and freeze them in ice cube trays I can save time and money making my morning smoothie. I steam carrots and sweet potatoes prior to pureeing them to make it easier on my blender and they come out smoother. Frozen fruits are also handy in the moring and cuts down on waste since they will last longer. You can puree your greens and freeze them as well. My favorite smoothie consits of yogurt, banana, pureed carrot, spinach, strawberries and flax seed. Sounds gross but the strawberries and banana hide the flavor of the vegetables and it only takes me a couple minutes in the morning to throw it together and blend it up. Another way I like using my pureed vegetables is in soups, chili, pasta dishes, and I even put them in my sons mac & cheese.