Oatmeal....gross but healthy

Options
2»

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Where is the oatmeal law you speak of that requires the eating of oatmeal? Eat something else.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Use less water! When they're not fully soft it's totally edible, trust me. ;)

I use less water than recommended and that is the only way I can eat it. The ladies that I work with prefer their oatmeal soupy and that is disgusting. I like mine...I guess lumpy is the right word.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal is so good I have it everyday.

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/2 cup milk( I use almond milk)
    1/2 banana sliced or fruit of choice( I like raisins too)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Optional
    sweetener of choice

Put 1/2 of oats in a coffee cup add banana then add rest of oats.
    Mix milk, cinnamon and sweetener pour over oats cover and put
    in fridge. Many eat it cold but, I like to microwave it for 1 1/2 minutes.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    this is really gross, but I put mine in a coffee mug and add a ton (i mean a ton) of water and sweetner and a touch of creamer, and actually drink it. I chug it. That's the only way I can eat it. If it's the slightest bit cold it goes down the sink.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Make cookies? I don't like it either, so I don't eat it.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I hate the constancy of plain oatmeal too. So I dress it up - walnuts and raisins or maybe dried cranberries, peanut butter, maybe a touch of Nutella.

The other side of me is saying - why eat it if you don't like it? Sure, it's good for you. But there are plenty of other things out there that are good for you too.
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Are you using quick-cooking oatmeal, or the real stuff? The real stuff (steel cut, or even rolled oats) has some texture to it. Add raisins or apples to it to add a little variety.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I will never eat this stuff! like you I cant handle the texture, plus isnt it mosly carbs? eat fruit!

They are both mosly carbs as far as I can see. The carbs in oatmeal burn slow and don't spike your blood sugar.(asuming you're not putting too much sweet stuff in)

Second poster makes a great point!! They are both very good for you, but fruit has natural sugars that oats do not and they are both carb laden. The oats will digest much slower and as will the fruit that has a higher fiber content. But, I always add a fat to my fruit to slow down the insulin surge. Anyway......I add PB to my oatmeal, mixed with almond milk and I wish I could eat it 6 times a day!!! It is my truest comfort food and the pb/almond milk give it a rich, creamy texture. I truly hope you find something that you like....oatmeal is a great staple to curb hunger and help build lean mass.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have been loving orowheat thins bread with flax & fiber good complex carbs and you can make egg sandwichs with them yummy.
  • vighnaessh
    Options
    Make your own oatmeal bars. Healthier than regular bars and dont have the slimy taste of oatmeal
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Lol supposed to eat oatmeal? Who says. I eat no grain foods whatsoever, and I'm losing weight and healthier than I've EVER been. Don't eat it, try bacon and eggs for breakfast instead, you'll feel so much better.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Are you using quick-cooking oatmeal, or the real stuff? The real stuff (steel cut, or even rolled oats) has some texture to it. Add raisins or apples to it to add a little variety.

^^^^^
    this

OP, you don't have to eat oatmeal...However, if you insist you can try adding the oatmeal to a smoothie in the morning.

Also, try oat groats they have a completely different texture. They have the texture of rice and taste like oatmeal.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I will never eat this stuff! like you I cant handle the texture, plus isnt it mosly carbs? eat fruit!

They are both mosly carbs as far as I can see. The carbs in oatmeal burn slow and don't spike your blood sugar.(asuming you're not putting too much sweet stuff in)
    Hate to burst your bubble but it doesn't matter if a carb is slow releasing it can still spike insulin if it has the capacity to do that and oatmeal can and does. The good news is if your not insulin resistant or have diabetes the release of insulin is there to stop the spike, because that's what insulin does. don't know if the <op is even concerned about this anyway.......the concern was slime and texture, not blood sugar spikes.
  • FanasticllyFlawed
    Options
    I make overnight chocolate oatmeal - you can puree it (I add a little extra yogurt for more of a creamy texture) after it has chilled overnight and it is more like a chocolate pudding

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/brownie-batter-overnight-protein-oatmeal/
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    This thread was two years old. The OP is gone.